Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone done PLAR credit?
I know the acceptance of courses/certifications/experience varies per institution, but if anyone has gone through this process, I'd like to know how it went for them.

I feel this avenue should be more well-known as you are not always required to do a knowledge exam. Depending on the institution, just submitting your education/experience itself can be enough.
There's a few posts on Prior Learning Assessments. It's harder to search for since the post call it PLA and not PLAR. I did 4 or 5 courses with TESU when I did the environmental Studies degree and it was pretty easy to write a portfolio if you follow their format, I also did one with IWU the format for them is a bit different. The portfolio cost is what can turn people away from doing them.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 3 users Like ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • ArshveerCheema, Jonathan Whatley, ss20ts
PLA credits can be expensive and VERY time consuming. Sometimes they take more effort than completing the actual class. The PLA credits I have inquired about did not involve an exam. They required multiple papers, letters from employers, and documentation showing how you learned the material. Getting a letter from someone who was your manager 5 years ago isn't that easy. They also have to sign off saying you learned x, y, and z. At UMPI, it was significantly faster and easier to just take the course.
(10-10-2024, 04:23 PM)ss20ts Wrote: PLA credits can be expensive and VERY time consuming. Sometimes they take more effort than completing the actual class. The PLA credits I have inquired about did not involve an exam. They required multiple papers, letters from employers, and documentation showing how you learned the material. Getting a letter from someone who was your manager 5 years ago isn't that easy. They also have to sign off saying you learned x, y, and z. At UMPI, it was significantly faster and easier to just take the course.

Yeah, depends on the institution.

(10-10-2024, 04:21 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: There's a few posts on Prior Learning Assessments. It's harder to search for since the post call it PLA and not PLAR. I did 4 or 5 courses with TESU when I did the environmental Studies degree and it was pretty easy to write a portfolio if you follow their format, I also did one with IWU the format for them is a bit different. The portfolio cost is what can turn people away from doing them.

Yeah, I'm looking at my university (University of the Cumberlands) and both experiential credit and certification credit is free.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/admission-a...g-pathways
You should definitely give it a go if it is possible. I did take a lot at their criteria, and there's is very different from what I'm used to.
(10-10-2024, 04:26 PM)ArshveerCheema Wrote:
(10-10-2024, 04:23 PM)ss20ts Wrote: PLA credits can be expensive and VERY time consuming. Sometimes they take more effort than completing the actual class. The PLA credits I have inquired about did not involve an exam. They required multiple papers, letters from employers, and documentation showing how you learned the material. Getting a letter from someone who was your manager 5 years ago isn't that easy. They also have to sign off saying you learned x, y, and z. At UMPI, it was significantly faster and easier to just take the course.

Yeah, depends on the institution.

(10-10-2024, 04:21 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: There's a few posts on Prior Learning Assessments. It's harder to search for since the post call it PLA and not PLAR. I did 4 or 5 courses with TESU when I did the environmental Studies degree and it was pretty easy to write a portfolio if you follow their format, I also did one with IWU the format for them is a bit different. The portfolio cost is what can turn people away from doing them.

Yeah, I'm looking at my university (University of the Cumberlands) and both experiential credit and certification credit is free.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/admission-a...g-pathways
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Do they already accept CLEP, ACE/NCCRS credits? I forget, I think they allow up to 90 credits out of 120 (75%) of your undergrad all transferred in if you're doing a Bachelors through them...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-10-2024, 04:46 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Do they already accept CLEP, ACE/NCCRS credits? I forget, I think they allow up to 90 credits out of 120 (75%) of your undergrad all transferred in if you're doing a Bachelors through them...

They don't accept NCCRS. I'm doing as associate's degree and already have more than enough ACE credit ideas to graduate in February as I hope to. I just have some ideas regarding PLAR credit as well. If I get approved for any PLAR, I will let you all know about those ideas.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 174,862 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 319 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 2,040 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
  Quickest/Most inexpensive credit banking? Calstar 10 2,109 07-10-2024, 09:36 PM
  CPA prep course + 30 hours of Accounting credit for $2,970 freeloader 6 823 05-31-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 2,369 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 3,067 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 448 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 1,112 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 987 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso