Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any info on jefferson high school online
my son just turned 18 and he dropped out of high school. hes into writing music and making beats. he wants to go to the audio and radio school in LA and he wants to take a test online at jefferson high school which supposedly will issue him a high school diploma with transcripts and all. does anyone know about this option and if it is a good idea. thanks
According to their web site, "In an effort to keep program cost down and the current motivational based format of JHSO, JHSO has not sought nor been approved by the US DOE, CHEA or DETC organizations and does not represent itself to be an “Accredited” program of any of these organization."

The lack of accreditation would concern me. I don't think it offers anything that he couldn't get from a GED.
I don't know about Jefferson High School or how these private high schools are accredited. I work for a private nursing school and we have had success with the State of California Board of Nursing recognizing John Adams High School (a similar test out high school) as a valid high school diploma. Good luck.
How about taking a look at North Atlantic Regional School in Maine.

NARHS is Fully Accredited - NARHS

They are fully accredited by the State of Maine and they are a private school. You can attend from anywhere in the country. I believe they require 17 1/2 credits for graduation. Very flexible, very do-able. You can take classes in your area, clep exam, self design classes, work study ect. I have helped many students through this program. Adults that never finished and teens that just couldn't do regular school any longer. All sucessful and happy that they did it. Now they are able to go onto the next chapter of their lives.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
The below is taken from this website :High School Diploma - Accreditation and Certification | Penn Foster Career School

ACCREDITATION

Penn Foster High School is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools for its high school and vocational-technical programs.

Penn Foster High School is licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools.

Penn Foster High School has met the high standards of integrity and performance set by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), Washington, D.C., and is a fully accredited member. The DETC is a voluntary association of accredited home study schools, which was founded in 1926 to promote sound educational standards and ethical business practices within the home study field.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Exams Passed: DSST : Civil War & Reconstruction : score 59 (A), DSST-Ethics in America (463 - pass), ECE-Ethics:Theory & Practice (A) , ECE: Literacy Instruction in the Elem. School (A), UExcel Poli Sci (B),ECE: PA&A (A) -->Exams taken after BSLS degree : [B][B]DSST : Intro to World Religions (466) DSST: Lisfespan Dev. Psych.(62) Foundations of Educ. (74) , Art of the Western World (69)[/B][/B]

[COLOR="Red"]completed[/COLOR] BS Liberal Studies w/Focus in Administrative/Management Studies & Depth in Psychology (cum. GPA 3.23/ Excelsior GPA 3.88) [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][SIZE="1"][/SIZE] BS degree conferred 2/19/10 : Grad courses completed : 2 Educ. Grad. courses via Vesi- Morningside College 1 course 3 credits (grade A-) and a 2nd course 2 credits (B+)
Hijadeoshun,

According to the FAQ section #10: ( see below) it appears Jefferson HS is operated from the Eastern Caribbean (St. Kitts) . Which makes me wonder how accepted their HS degree would be in the USA.

10) Where are you located?

The only way to complete our program is via the Internet. MMDS Ltd. (a St. Kitts entity)
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Exams Passed: DSST : Civil War & Reconstruction : score 59 (A), DSST-Ethics in America (463 - pass), ECE-Ethics:Theory & Practice (A) , ECE: Literacy Instruction in the Elem. School (A), UExcel Poli Sci (B),ECE: PA&A (A) -->Exams taken after BSLS degree : [B][B]DSST : Intro to World Religions (466) DSST: Lisfespan Dev. Psych.(62) Foundations of Educ. (74) , Art of the Western World (69)[/B][/B]

[COLOR="Red"]completed[/COLOR] BS Liberal Studies w/Focus in Administrative/Management Studies & Depth in Psychology (cum. GPA 3.23/ Excelsior GPA 3.88) [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][SIZE="1"][/SIZE] BS degree conferred 2/19/10 : Grad courses completed : 2 Educ. Grad. courses via Vesi- Morningside College 1 course 3 credits (grade A-) and a 2nd course 2 credits (B+)
John Adams seems like an interesting option, but to me, a GED seems like a safer bet.

Although not a quick test-out option (about a 100 online exam), Penn Foster's High School program is very decent, does not require proctoring (can all be done at home and the exams are untimed), costs are very reasonable and you are offered easy payment options. As with all Penn Foster courses, the books are included as part of the tuition.

I would say depending on the level determination and the amount of previous knowledge, the whole program can be done in as little as 3 months (or 3 years). Moreover, the majority of the exams' questions can be simply researched quickly using the internet or the supplied books. A few exams of course, will require some work (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

I think the main advantage of going with PFHS is that you won't have any hassles with accreditation. Their refund policies are not so bad either, makes it easier to just give it a try to see how suitable the program is.
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)
thanks for all the information. i will be looking into the options that you guys have given me. i know that he wants to get it done quick so well check it out.
again thanks
mhr2133 Wrote:I don't know about Jefferson High School or how these private high schools are accredited. I work for a private nursing school and we have had success with the State of California Board of Nursing recognizing John Adams High School (a similar test out high school) as a valid high school diploma. Good luck.
my son took the online test for john adams and he scored a 99.6% which he was thrilled with. he did take most of the time allowed and then he turned in the essay portion of the test. i think he really like the online testing and he had practiced on the petersons test site. im hoping he gets into it and can opt out of some classes by doing the clep and other tests. thanks againWink
Congratulations on a great score!
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 334 Yesterday, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  UNED Spanish online university Avidreader 3 302 06-26-2024, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Online Linear Algebra Course (Except SNHU) sjdkn1 17 1,000 06-26-2024, 03:23 AM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 236 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 634 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 7 962 06-13-2024, 11:36 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 22 2,336 05-31-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Thfuriene
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,098 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  F in high school but 4.0 college gpa Spyrine 4 397 05-18-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  International GCSE Sciences (EU/UK) Info bjcheung77 6 368 05-07-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77