Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Without Highschool or GED will the credits be any good?
Hi,

Newbie here, I didn't finish my high school or GED , Since I am intersted in pursuing a BA I want to ask if the universities accept me for the credits I have earned ? I do have IGCSE O'Level and secondary school transcript. (10 years)

Is GED mandotary or I can skip it and just enroll in credit courses?

Thankyou
shamin Wrote:Hi,

Newbie here, I didn't finish my high school or GED , Since I am intersted in pursuing a BA I want to ask if the universities accept me for the credits I have earned ? I do have IGCSE O'Level and secondary school transcript. (10 years)

Is GED mandotary or I can skip it and just enroll in credit courses?

Thankyou

those are 2 different things.

1) You can earn college credits without being in college - those credits are for anyone with or without high school GED/diploma.

2) As to getting "in" to a college, you'll probably have to solve that problem separately. I have no expertise in international credentials, sorry - hopefully someone here can answer that part for you.
My old community college used to accept students without a high school diploma or GED. You would basically have to have 6 college credits, or take an exam like the TABE test to test into college courses. Perhaps some community colleges in your area offer similar policies. However, a relative of mine completed his high school diploma online with Excel High School and was able to enroll at a state college as well as TESU with their diploma.
Exfactor Wrote:My old community college used to accept students without a high school diploma or GED. You would basically have to have 6 college credits, or take an exam like the TABE test to test into college courses. Perhaps some community colleges in your area offer similar policies. However, a relative of mine completed his high school diploma online with Excel High School and was able to enroll at a state college as well as TESU with their diploma.

Many community colleges will accept you with 6-12 college credits. The good thing is many community colleges will accept you as a non degree seeking student and let you finish 6-12 credits. Plus you can take courses at BYU or CSU Pueblo without needing a GED.

I guess the question is, once you have an AA or AS, would that trump the GED or HSD?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
COSC will accept you with 9 credits. https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/apply/
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
One of the main things that happens if you don't have your diploma or GED - you don't qualify for any type of student aid or loans. Just a heads-up.

I think I might take the GED or get your diploma, just to open up some doors. And, if you take the GED and score at 175 or above in any of the 4 areas, you get college credit for it:

Mathematical Reasoning: 3cr College Algebra
Reasoning thru Language: 1cr Humanities
Science: 3cr Physical Science
Social Studies: 3cr SocSci/Humanities
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:One of the main things that happens if you don't have your diploma or GED - you don't qualify for any type of student aid or loans. Just a heads-up.

I think I might take the GED or get your diploma, just to open up some doors. And, if you take the GED and score at 175 or above in any of the 4 areas, you get college credit for it:

Wow! That's a great bonus! You don't get college credit for earning a high school diploma, I like that incentive.
cookderosa Wrote:Wow! That's a great bonus! You don't get college credit for earning a high school diploma, I like that incentive.

It's new, with the 2014 update of the GED.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:One of the main things that happens if you don't have your diploma or GED - you don't qualify for any type of student aid or loans. Just a heads-up.

cookderosa Wrote:Wow! That's a great bonus! You don't get college credit for earning a high school diploma, I like that incentive.

I wonder if knowing that there are college credits potentially available with high GED scores would interest homeschoolers who are on the fence about whether to have their student(s) take it or not?
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Why ever even bother with a high school diploma. The GED obviously is now more prestigious and efficient than the high school diploma.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA. Treach 9 773 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  Does any institution apply over 90 transfer credits? hlg38 7 654 08-24-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferring credits ecomony 8 390 08-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 212 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 9 887 05-30-2024, 08:16 PM
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 22 3,007 05-15-2024, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Travellifter
  Best Options For Fast Credits harrypotter 11 1,062 05-10-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: harrypotter
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 2,231 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 2,862 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 1,488 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl