Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which school do you think is the best for competency based program?
Hello, everyone!

I looked at the schools on the list of competency based programs at the wiki (https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs).
Now I'm considering transferring my AS to either of three universities: 
  • University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 
    - B.S. in Information Science and Technology (UW Flex Option)- $2,250 / 12 weeks
  • Purdue University Global 
    - ExcelTrack Bachelor of Science in Cloud Computing and Solutions- $2,500 / 10 weeks
  • University of Massachusetts Global 
    - B.S. in Information Technology-Data Science (MyPath)- $3,300 / 24 weeks
UMass Global's cost is really attractive, but I couldn't get enough reviews and opinions about the university or the program. Also, I'm not sure whether these programs require proctored exams. It wouldn't be a serious problem, but still, I'm uncomfortable with a cam or person proctoring.
Does anyone know these programs or universities? And what do you think? I need opinions.
Not all CBE programs are the same in terms of speed, quality, etc. Some CBE programs are gated, meaning you have to wait for days for a professor to grade papers before advancing to the next step, which limits the number of courses you can take in one term.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(10-11-2024, 04:17 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Not all CBE programs are the same in terms of speed, quality, etc. Some CBE programs are gated, meaning you have to wait for days for a professor to grade papers before advancing to the next step, which limits the number of courses you can take in one term.

Oh... It would be stressful. I thought I was okay with anything but proctored exams, but you're right. Long taking grading must be a problem. Thank you.
At PUG you'll have 2 classes open so you can work on one while you wait for the grading in the other. Each class is broken down into 1 credit courses basically with assignments due for each 1 credit. Also PUG is on the quarter system so it's a lot more credits. They're 180 credits versus the standard 120 credits in a semester based program. Something to keep in the back of your mind.

UMass Global used to be Brandman University. I don't think I've seen anyone here do either one because there were better options.

PUG doesn't have exams. It's all writing.

Do you already work in IT or have a background in it?
(10-11-2024, 05:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote: At PUG you'll have 2 classes open so you can work on one while you wait for the grading in the other. Each class is broken down into 1 credit courses basically with assignments due for each 1 credit. Also PUG is on the quarter system so it's a lot more credits. They're 180 credits versus the standard 120 credits in a semester based program. Something to keep in the back of your mind.

UMass Global used to be Brandman University. I don't think I've seen anyone here do either one because there were better options.

PUG doesn't have exams. It's all writing.

Do you already work in IT or have a background in it?

It's great! But yes, the total of 180 credits makes me feel exhausted already. Maybe their 1 credit courses are easier than 3 credit ones. How fast I can complete each course would matter.  Confused

I don't have any experience in the IT field but only web development and publishing for some years as a freelancer. I completed Google IT support, but I think not much of colleges accept it as credit.
Yeah just because it's 1 credit doesn't mean it's easier or faster. Some classes have multiple assignments and you have to wait for the grading before submitting the next one. At that was my husband's experience in the Analytics ExcelTrack.

I was wondering if you had IT experience because then I would suggest UMPI but if you want an IT degree to get into the IT field, then UMPI isn't an option right now. Maybe in the future it will be.
(10-11-2024, 06:10 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Yeah just because it's 1 credit doesn't mean it's easier or faster. Some classes have multiple assignments and you have to wait for the grading before submitting the next one. At that was my husband's experience in the Analytics ExcelTrack.

I was wondering if you had IT experience because then I would suggest UMPI but if you want an IT degree to get into the IT field, then UMPI isn't an option right now. Maybe in the future it will be.

Multiple assignments for 1 credit. Hmm.

I don't have IT field experience. 
What I really wanted was a BS in computer science before an MS in AI, but I couldn't find a CS major among the competency-based programs.
So, I'm considering the three IT programs, even though I know IT and CS are different.

UMPI also offers many competency-based programs but not a single computer-related one.
If earning a degree from either of the three IT programs isn't as fast as I expect, I will consider UMPI or anyone else.

My major priority is AI, CS, IT, and then anything for quick getting a job.
So, Why not? UMPI is also on the table.
WGU has a CBE BS in Computer Science, though it's only available in the US and most of Canada. UMPI is developing a CBE BS in Computer Science, but you'd likely have to wait at least a year until it launches.
(10-11-2024, 07:13 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: WGU has a CBE BS in Computer Science, though it's only available in the US and most of Canada. UMPI is developing a CBE BS in Computer Science, but you'd likely have to wait at least a year until it launches.

Yeah, I'm not a US citizen, a US resident, or even a Canadian resident, so I can't go to WGU.

UMPI CBE BS CS development is great news, but 1 year too far. Undecided
Thanks for the update.
You could get some of the benefit of CBE using a degreeforum approach to a TESU BA in Computer Science, based heavily on earning alt-credit elsewhere and transferring it in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Kansas is looking to add Competency-Based Education RbxFunRocks 21 1,725 10-17-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Which school has the most integrity when it comes to the program MondoCat 2 335 09-02-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New TAMUC Competency-Based Programs? RbxFunRocks 10 1,304 08-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: bradm31
  TAMUC New CBE Program bradm31 2 438 08-02-2024, 01:30 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 9 2,353 06-16-2024, 10:31 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Smile Jacksonville State U. JSU Try It program. New course for Fall 2024. Completely Free sixdegreesandamovie 5 1,098 06-13-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 7 1,505 06-06-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 86 17,526 04-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bsnipedavis
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 7,544 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based ReyMysterioso 8 995 02-17-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle