Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where can you take courses from study.com that are not longer accepted for CS major?
Where else can you do C191 Operating Systems now that the study.com equivalent course is no longer accepted? I think previously you could do a Linux course from study.com and that came in as C191 when you transferred to WGU. What are some similar places where you can do this courses and transfer it in? The advantage with doing it at places like this is that you can do it multiple times if you need to and you know eventually you'll get it done, but there's a good chance you'll get it done in the first try. It eliminates the worry for those of us prone to worry. Thanks.
(06-10-2023, 09:04 AM)whiverem Wrote: Where else can you do C191 Operating Systems now that the study.com equivalent course is no longer accepted? I think previously you could do a Linux course from study.com and that came in as C191 when you transferred to WGU. What are some similar places where you can do this courses and transfer it in? The advantage with doing it at places like this is that you can do it multiple times if you need to and you know eventually you'll get it done, but there's a good chance you'll get it done in the first try. It eliminates the worry for those of us prone to worry. Thanks.

The previous course you could do for operating systems was SDC Computer Science 106: Introduction to Linux though discontinued that course.  Sad

Let me know if you find something and I'll update the degree plan.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • whiverem
You can still do it at WGU.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • whiverem
(06-10-2023, 10:44 AM)MNomadic Wrote: You can still do it at WGU.

They say that Operating Systems is even worse than Computer Arch at WGU.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • whiverem
(06-10-2023, 12:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(06-10-2023, 10:44 AM)MNomadic Wrote: You can still do it at WGU.

They say that Operating Systems is even worse than Computer Arch at WGU.
And? That's what they said about several of my WGU classes but there weren't alt credits available for them at the time and in the end, they weren't hard at all. There's always a lot of unsubstantiated fear surrounding taking actual courses at WGU when there shouldn't be.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • whiverem
Are there other easy resources or websites to learn the content of the course at least? Thanks.

Edit: I was so happy I don't have to take this at WGU and more confident in my ability to finish the major at WGU and only had to take a Linux course at study.com until I realized the study.com course is no longer accepted. I really wish they didn't do this and hope that they maybe change back or allow something just as easy like Sophia or something.
(06-10-2023, 03:54 PM)MNomadic Wrote: And? That's what they said about several of my WGU classes but there weren't alt credits available for them at the time and in the end, they weren't hard at all. There's always a lot of unsubstantiated fear surrounding taking actual courses at WGU when there shouldn't be.

There's also a lot of substantiated fear surrounding taking actual courses at WGU when there should be. It depends on a lot of factors, like how unreasonable an OA is, whether or not you have the right material to study, how well-suited you are to the course, and even luck of the draw. These will all play into whether you spend a day on a course or two months! Some are lucky enough to be closer to the one-day end of the spectrum, but there are plenty of students on the discord and reddit who fail OAs/certifications multiple times and are stuck for months.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • whiverem
(06-10-2023, 07:51 PM)whiverem Wrote: Are there other easy resources or websites to learn the content of the course at least? Thanks.

Edit: I was so happy I don't have to take this at WGU and more confident in my ability to finish the major at WGU and only had to take a Linux course at study.com until I realized the study.com course is no longer accepted. I really wish they didn't do this and hope that they maybe change back or allow something just as easy like Sophia or something.

You can always use SDC to learn the course material prior to enrolling.  Even if they won't bring it in as credit, nothing is stopping you from taking the course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • whiverem
@whiverem, if you currently have a subscription for Study.com you can continue to use it for learning purposes for this one course and use the 2 exams/month for other courses you want to get credit for. If your subscription has expired, I would find some cheap option to learn the subject better or work on other courses first and come back to this...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • whiverem
Even though you can't take a course at study.com and transfer as the operating systems course for the CS major (C191 I think), there is an operating systems course at study.com (Computer Science 305). Can you learn everything in C191 from Computer Science 305 at study.com?

If study.com's Computer Science 305 doesn't cover all the content, what are some other easy resources or websites you can use to learn the content of C191? I wanted to learn the content before and see how easy or hard it is for me and see if I can do it from reading the zyBooks course or whatever WGU uses.

An alternative option for me is to do the software engineering major but I think the computer science major I can do much faster since more of its courses can be done through study.com, Sophia, and places like that. Thanks.

(06-11-2023, 03:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-10-2023, 07:51 PM)whiverem Wrote: Are there other easy resources or websites to learn the content of the course at least? Thanks.

You can always use SDC to learn the course material prior to enrolling.  Even if they won't bring it in as credit, nothing is stopping you from taking the course.

Can I use the study.com operating systems course (Computer Science 305) to learn everything for the WGU operating systems course (C191 I think)? Does the study.com course cover all the content of the WGU OS course? And if it's not enough, what other easy resources or websites can I use to learn the content of the WGU OS course? Thanks.

(06-11-2023, 08:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @whiverem, if you currently have a subscription for Study.com you can continue to use it for learning purposes for this one course and use the 2 exams/month for other courses you want to get credit for.  If your subscription has expired, I would find some cheap option to learn the subject better or work on other courses first and come back to this...

Can I use the study.com operating systems course (Computer Science 305) to learn everything for the WGU operating systems course (C191 I think)? Does the study.com course cover all the content of the WGU OS course? And if it's not enough, what other easy resources or websites can I use to learn the content of the WGU OS course? Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses to speed up CBE MBA avocado778 4 377 07-26-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Courcelles
  WGU Personalized Start: Single Courses Now $99, With Limits Jonathan Whatley 6 1,226 07-14-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Sophia College of IT no courses anymore? jobojoe285 7 1,232 04-01-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 720 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Study.com Math - College Algebra & Statistics Marsbar 11 1,565 12-21-2023, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Marsbar
  Study.com Algebra or WGU? Marsbar 10 1,327 11-30-2023, 11:50 PM
  Business 324 or 113 study.com for BSBM Marsbar 4 579 11-23-2023, 06:46 PM
  Sophia Learning vs. Study.com BrotherG 8 2,893 10-04-2023, 11:33 AM
  Does the study.com OS course (CS 305) cover everything in WGU's OS course (C191 I)? whiverem 6 1,551 06-15-2023, 06:07 PM
  Is the final capstone course for the IT, software engineering, or CS major hard? whiverem 12 2,698 06-04-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: MNomadic