Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What test to take first
Some times I hate computers!! I had a long post all typed up and I lost my connection and the post.:mad:

My 18 yer old son just barely graduated High School because he hates homework and being board. Oh and getting up in the morning!

Any way I want him to take some CLEP's before starting the local CC in Sept.
My question is which ones and which first?:confused:

He took honors math and Science in HS. He also took lots of writing. He had 2 years of German too. So where should he start. I just want him to skip the easy/boring starter classes.

I was thinking maybe he should start with Freshman Comp., but since I have never taken that I don't know how hard it is. How long does it take to get graded? He might need some "Instant Gratification" to get him on a roll.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Oh his SAT's were over 600 in all areas so he doesn't have to worry about placement testing at the CC.:o
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Hi,
If your son is good at math and english, why not have him take the CLEP College Algebra and College Mathematics and also English Comp. w/ Essay. Once he finishes those he can maybe move on to Intro Sociology and Intro Psychology. IC should be enough to study and pass these exams.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Hello Linda.

First thing's first. Before your son starts worrying about what CLEPS he's going to take, you need to find out what the local cc's CLEP policies are exactly. Most colleges have their own CLEP policies which may vary tremendously from school to school.

It would not make sense to be picking exams when you don't know what the school will accept or not. First look at the college's CLEP policy. Second, make sure you know what their score requirements are for granting credit (i.e, scores needed to pass for credit above the ACE Score). Third, make sure you know what their maximum allowance for CLEP credits are. For example...at my local cc here in Dayton, OH, they will only accept up to 45 CLEP credits for transfer into a degree program.

Also...it might be beneficial to your son if he has access to this site. I think this site alone would be enough to give your son that extra kick in the pants! I believe once he sees how easy (and quick) it is to earn a degree using CLEP along with InstantCert that he will be transformed with a renewed motivation.

As far as what tests he should take first...I believe I could be of more assistance if I had a general idea of what your son's career interests and degree program choices are. For instance, is your son going to go for his BA or BS right after the local cc? If so...why even bother with the cc in the first place? He can earn an AA (at least) without ever stepping foot in a classroom. And based on what you stated before about the things he loathed about school, CLEP should be a perfect option for your son.

For example...I am going for my BA in Communications through TESC and I'm only 8 exams away from my Associate in Arts Degree. That's 60 credits and I don't have to step foot into one college classroom (local cc included). If that's not motivation enough for your son, I don't know what is!

Sorry for the long post. Get back to me when you can about your sons interests and possible career choices and I can be of more benefit to you. In the meantime...Peace be with you.

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
mlwilliamsiv Wrote:Hello Linda.

First thing's first. Before your son starts worrying about what CLEPS he's going to take, you need to find out what the local cc's CLEP policies are exactly. Most colleges have their own CLEP policies which may vary tremendously from school to school.

It would not make sense to be picking exams when you don't know what the school will accept or not. First look at the college's CLEP policy. Second, make sure you know what their score requirements are for granting credit (i.e, scores needed to pass for credit above the ACE Score). Third, make sure you know what their maximum allowance for CLEP credits are. For example...at my local cc here in Dayton, OH, they will only accept up to 45 CLEP credits for transfer into a degree program.

Also...it might be beneficial to your son if he has access to this site. I think this site alone would be enough to give your son that extra kick in the pants! I believe once he sees how easy (and quick) it is to earn a degree using CLEP along with InstantCert that he will be transformed with a renewed motivation.

As far as what tests he should take first...I believe I could be of more assistance if I had a general idea of what your son's career interests and degree program choices are. For instance, is your son going to go for his BA or BS right after the local cc? If so...why even bother with the cc in the first place? He can earn an AA (at least) without ever stepping foot in a classroom. And based on what you stated before about the things he loathed about school, CLEP should be a perfect option for your son.

For example...I am going for my BA in Communications through TESC and I'm only 8 exams away from my Associate in Arts Degree. That's 60 credits and I don't have to step foot into one college classroom (local cc included). If that's not motivation enough for your son, I don't know what is!

Sorry for the long post. Get back to me when you can about your sons interests and possible career choices and I can be of more benefit to you. In the meantime...Peace be with you.

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall

I agree with everything Marshall said.

Also, most college classes WILL be "easy and boring" like his high school classes. In other words, it might not be the class, it might simply be your son. I'm not being insulting, only to point out that perhaps your son needs to find his passion in life! Could he be more of a hands on person? Is there a hobby or trade occupation that he would thrive in? While all degrees require some classroom classes, your local community college probably has hundreds of classes that are not in the arts and sciences. In my community college, we have over 200 FULL PROGRAMS that are not arts and science (transfer).

As to honors math and science....how "honors" was he? Honors as in calculus based physics? Or honors as in AP Chemistry? Or honors as in College Prep Trig/Pre-Cal? Also, are these his areas of interest and natural talent, or was he tracked into these programs based on test scores at an earlier age and forced to sink or swim for the past several years?

These are some issues he will need to examine.

I say this gently and with compassion, but as a college instructor for 16 years, I have to say that the only people who get through are the ones who want it for themselves. Even of those, sometimes people just don't like school.

An option might be to delay college entrance this fall and he can CLEP at home. Maybe even take an online class. I suggest this because he wouldn't have to wake up early, he could be a little more in control of his time spent in class, and it might give him what feels like a break, while he is still in fact earning credits.

While I normally would agree with Marshall about finding out the college's CLEP policy ahead of time, if he isn't certain that THIS is the college he wants to attend in a certain program, he really should just jump in and take some tests anyway.
English Comp, in my digging, is the LEAST accepted exam out there. I also found plenty of examples of colleges which do not accept Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, Biology, and US History. That doesn't mean your son's college won't, but if you are hedging your odds, it's something to think about.
Thank you for your ideas. I went and checked and RVCC will accept upto 45 if I read this right.

How many credits can I transfer to RVCC?
Students can earn up to 45 credits in ANY form of advanced standing (transfer credit, CLEP, etc)

As for my son, I want him to try college one semester. He can easily do it if he tries. A large part of his problems in high school was the schools lopsided policies. Among other things a student who did all his homework participated in class, but got F or D on mid-terms and finals could still pass the class. A student who did little or no homework, participated in class and got A or B on mid term and final(my Son) would still fail the class. My son's teachers mostly liked him and said he was an asset in class, but the sholl had strick homework policies and he failed to comply.

He did not take any AP courses because the homework in them was even worse. Our HS has 4 levels of courses G or general for the kids who just want to get through. CP for college prep H/WT for honors/ weighted classes where more is learned and more time is spent 66min/day vs 44 for CP classes and 7.5 credits vs 5. and then there are AP classes.

My son is very good in math and science he took honors Physics,Chemistry,Biology,Algebra I & II Geometry & pre-calc.,he also took 1 or 2 honors english classes, when he felt like it.

He is also very good with his hands, our friend had him working a backhoe last summer and was very impressed with how fast he became proficient in it.

Our family has a policy of paying all cost for one semester of college he is the baby so he gets the same chance as his brother and sister. Both of them blew it one worse then the other, but I feel he has to have the same opertunity. At least if he lives at home and goes to the local CC it is a lot cheaper then his brother who wasted a semester away at college.

I am hoping that because he works better with less rules he will do OK I am also hopping that in college he will find his passion. At this point he has no idea what he wants to do so I don't care if he takes a course in basket weaving if he figures out that is what he likes.

Sorry for the long post. He just frustrates me, both of my other children have moderate to severe learning disabilities, he is just ADHD and difficult, I wish he would appreciate the gifts he has.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Linda,
Do what Marshall and Jennifer said first. I guess I jumped the gun a little on my advice. Big Grin
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
If I were him, I'd take the German ASAP. While it is still as fresh as possible.
[U][U]A pass is a pass![/U][/U]

CLEP Passed
Social Science & History (6)
English Comp w/Essay (6)
A & I Literature (6)
Biology (6)
Natural Science (6)
Intro to Psychology (3)
Intro to Sociology (3)
Intro to Educational Psychology (3)
Human Growth & Development (3)
American Government (3)

DSST Passed
Drug & Alcohol Abuse (3)
Organizational Behavior (3)
Intro to Computing (3)
Technical Writing (3)
Astronomy (3)
Counseling (3)

ECE
Research Methods in Psychology (3)
Cultural Diversity (3)

FEMA (25)
NFA (3)

***Admitted to Wayne State University Law School

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elite colleges are lying about how much test scores mean LevelUP 0 213 06-12-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Test score rogeryoung 4 475 04-24-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 432 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 762 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 7,044 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 1,303 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Inside the Vast National Experiment in Test-Optional College Admissions LevelUP 2 1,072 04-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 920 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Med School Tutors now part of Blueprint Test Prep! bjcheung77 0 558 11-01-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Management Test Battery (MTB) Exam? Merlin 9 4,958 03-08-2020, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Merlin