Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are people's reasons for taking Masters in Education
Hi.  I imagine most are teachers or homeschooling - just wondering what other reasons this degree would be helpful.  For example, I'd love to teach someday (small group, corporate or college level).  However, most of the education programs have a lot of K-12 stuff I'm not interested in.  I really like psychology, theology and philosophy - seems a powerful combination.
I am just about to start my 19th year as a teacher. I've taught high school, middle school, one year within an elementary school and I was a preschool teacher for a year or two at the start. There is a strong economic incentive for a teacher to earn a master's degree. Normally, it shifts a teacher into another pay column. I completed an MAT through Marygrove College in Detroit. It was very convenient and relatively cheap. It was a distance program before the internet really took hold, so I watched a lot of VHS tapes, wrote a lot of papers and then created a big binder full of work for a final portfolio. Teachers also need to earn a certain number of credits or PD hours to renew certification, so this kind of program is better than just doing a bunch of random credits.

One benefit is that once you have a master's degree, you can conceivably teach at the community college level with 18 graduate credits within a discipline. So there is some utility in it, although there are many more lucrative graduate degrees.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • jb111, Life Long Learning
(09-01-2017, 12:59 PM)jb111 Wrote: Hi.  I imagine most are teachers or homeschooling - just wondering what other reasons this degree would be helpful.  For example, I'd love to teach someday (small group, corporate or college level).  However, most of the education programs have a lot of K-12 stuff I'm not interested in.  I really like psychology, theology and philosophy - seems a powerful combination.

I can't imagine anyone homeschooling getting this degree.  It's completely unnecessary.  Teaching your own children, at home, is literally NOTHING like teaching at a school.  Lots of teaching courses are about classroom management or curriculum, which is also not anything we need to deal with.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • jb111, RachelB
The ONLY reason to obtain a masters in education is that you work -or want to work- as an educator or administrator.

MAT is usually associated with teaching k-12, while MEd can be anything from teaching to student services to educational technology.

Here's the thing, for those who already work in education, a master's can be a bump in pay. So..... for those NOT working in education, having a master's (without experience) makes you an expensive risk. (what if you're not good at the job?)

Depending on the field and employer, obtain the minimum credential to get employed, and then work on a higher credential simultaneously. Education alone isn't enough, you need to bring experience too.

PS - homeschooling is parent directed learning, so learning classroom pedagogy isn't relevant. As a credential, parents are legally able to teach their kids in all 50 states without a college degree.
I think some states require a master's degree to teach K-12.

Strangely, I've seen a few high-ranking police officers with master's degrees in education. I don't know if they got these degrees because they were trainers or they just had an interest in education. Some departments pay more for having a master's degree and usually don't care which subject it's in.

Other reasons to get a master's in education would be to become an instructional designer, corporate trainer, test designer, or researcher in education. Less commonly, some education programs are designed for licensure in counseling or school psychology or certification as a behavioral analyst.

There are an increasing number of education programs that focus on adult learning.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jb111
(09-03-2017, 10:23 PM)sanantone Wrote: I think some states require a master's degree to teach K-12.

ARe you sure? I don't think that's right.
(09-03-2017, 10:23 PM)sanantone Wrote: I think some states require a master's degree to teach K-12.

Strangely, I've seen a few high-ranking police officers with master's degrees in education. I don't know if they got these degrees because they were trainers or they just had an interest in education. Some departments pay more for having a master's degree and usually don't care which subject it's in.

Other reasons to get a master's in education would be to become an instructional designer, corporate trainer, test designer, or researcher in education. Less commonly, some education programs are designed for licensure in counseling or school psychology or certification as a behavioral analyst.

There are an increasing number of education programs that focus on adult learning.

I've never heard this before.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Yeah, there are a few states that require a masters degree after X years of teaching. See this thread.
Ohio, New York, Mass - https://careertrend.com/list-6325844-sta...hers-.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • sanantone
Taught ESL. Got really good at it. Realized companies who let you actually teach, who respect you, aren't doing any illegal stuff, and who will pay you more than minimum wage, all require a degree in Education.
(09-08-2023, 03:31 PM)nykorn Wrote: Taught ESL. Got really good at it. Realized companies who let you actually teach, who respect you, aren't doing any illegal stuff, and who will pay you more than minimum wage, all require a degree in Education.

Presumably, you've encountered quite a few that do the opposite of what you described?

In my experience in schools across several continents, respect and legal activity (following contracts, labour laws, etc.) are hard to come by.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Messdiener's post:
  • RachelB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 1 126 Yesterday, 11:21 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 754 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 502 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 697 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 392 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,338 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,140 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,861 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 625 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,804 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7