Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venting - Textbook costs
I just ordered my textbooks for my 3 classes, and my husband's 1 class. $370 - that's with all of my books being USED and paying the cheapest prices that I can find.

I just wanted to cry when I clicked the checkout button. College alone is expensive enough to make me cringe but the textbooks just absolutely make me want to cry.

:mad: :eek: :mad:
Smile Cleps:
Introduction Business Law 65
Principles of Management 70
Principles of Marketing 71
A&I Literature 68
American Lit 59
Educational Psychology 68
Social sciences & history 65
Western Civilization I 64

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Namivie Wrote:I just ordered my textbooks for my 3 classes, and my husband's 1 class. $370 - that's with all of my books being USED and paying the cheapest prices that I can find.

I just wanted to cry when I clicked the checkout button. College alone is expensive enough to make me cringe but the textbooks just absolutely make me want to cry.

:mad: :eek: :mad:
>>

Another cost benefit to taking CLEP exams! My son is taking a computer 101 class at the local community college (rather than the exam) and the class was $240 after fees/registration but his books today were $140 and we opted to supply our own flash drive ($30 book store cost). That's $380 for 3 credits!!??
cookderosa Wrote:>>

Another cost benefit to taking CLEP exams! My son is taking a computer 101 class at the local community college (rather than the exam) and the class was $240 after fees/registration but his books today were $140 and we opted to supply our own flash drive ($30 book store cost). That's $380 for 3 credits!!??

i don't see why people don't go to amazon.com and get old editions.. the books don't change that much!
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
these were the older editions....:eek: and I got them from amazon

and it's for 3 classes, so 9 hours. I figure with every clep test I pass that I'm saving over $1000 - but I still have to meet the residency requirement. However, I should only have to by books for 1 more semester for me.
Smile Cleps:
Introduction Business Law 65
Principles of Management 70
Principles of Marketing 71
A&I Literature 68
American Lit 59
Educational Psychology 68
Social sciences & history 65
Western Civilization I 64

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
creationstory Wrote:i don't see why people don't go to amazon.com and get old editions.. the books don't change that much!
>>

This was a "teacher designed" packet. So, it had a software bundle with a custom edition text <sigh>
The thing I find more irksome (or sadistically amusing) is how some colleges tout this "save money with ebooks!" idea. Excelsior for one does sell some textbooks as ebooks but you'd have to be committed in an institution to think this was a better idea than buying a used textbook.

For the ebooks I did see it went something like this: Actual Textbook price $135, ebook version $109. Ha! Who are they kidding? You can't sell the ebook back through Amazon or MBSDirect afterward. So you end up losing money on both ends. Who in the world would fall for this scam? Rolleyes
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
I found a post recommending AbeBooks Official Site - New & Used Books, New & Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books AFTER I purchased the books I used--but I did take a look and I found that all of the books I had purchased, after painstakingly trying to find the best price, were available through abebooks for less.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
I have also used AbeBooks and was really impressed with their costs. Namvie, when you are done with your books you should sell them on ebay or somesite like that. You might not get it all back but a little is better than none!
I feel your pain. Half.com is a great place to find used textbooks for CHEAP. One of my art textbooks for the upcoming Spring semester was $1.34 ... plus $3.49 shipping. :p
I live within driving distance of the city . . . I go to the 2nd hand stores every week, and find the books sections have lots of books, and sometimes what I need (so far for CLEP, though). There are also 2 large 2nd hand book stores that are within driving distance.

It may be worth looking into in your area, as an option, before doling out cash. Also, sometimes students are willing to sell their books, and post on the school bulletin boards.

Michele

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math textbook author made $26 million cardiacclep 10 1,701 02-23-2023, 05:09 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 2,286 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  College costs increasing due to too many new administrative positions ryoder 0 758 02-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Last Post: ryoder
  IT Textbook Source Needed marianne202 9 2,173 08-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Last Post: scorched
  Textbook Prices Nodean 2 2,130 04-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Last Post: beckysharp