Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Level Classes Error - BABA
Hi!

I think I made a bit of an error while completing my final transfer courses before I start UMPI for the BABA on Tuesday.   

On Thursday I completed Sophia's "Intro to Chemistry" and the "Intro to Chemistry - Lab"  along with the "Spanish 1" course to satisfy the requirements. Then I completed "Business Law" since I had time.

Since my subscription for Study.com was still valid for this month, I knocked out the remainder of "Business 312: Advanced Operations Management" and "Business 209: Leadership Communication".

However... I did not think about the upper-level residency requirement.  The BABA only has nine upper-level credits.  Based on their course transfer equivalency information both SDC's "Business 312: Advanced Operations Management" and Sophia's "Business Law" are transferable to upper-level.

Will these not transfer in now? Or will I be able to add a concentration to satisfy the upper-level requirement?  

It is completely my fault since I didn't run it by Jessica first. On a positive, I am feeling more comfortable about writing papers!

Attached Files
.pdf   BBA, Sal.pdf (Size: 131.86 KB / Downloads: 24)
MTAW Certified Municipal Treasurer - Wisconsin 
IAAP Certified Administrative Professional
Administrative Professional Associate Degree - Madison College

Next up: Bachelor's Degree 

You only need to do the "majority" of your UL credits through UMPI. For nine classes, that means doing five or more at UMPI. It sounds like you're fine.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
One particular user on this forum misled a lot of students, including me with this statement "You should complete most of your UL courses at UMPI".

For BLS degrees, one should complete 24 UL credits irrespective of where they do. Recently, a student transferred a lot of UL courses so this requirement has been satisfied, and he doesn't have to complete ULs again at the UMPI.

But that user has been stressing this point a lot, that most people believed it, including you and me. Even though I had 5 ULs that could have covered the condition, I went to BABA instead of BLS, which costed me 1 extra term.

If you have goe through this forum, you could identify who that user is. It's always better to communicate with Jessica instead of going blindly based upon the suggestions here.
(01-16-2023, 05:44 AM)path_seeker Wrote: One particular user on this forum misled a lot of students, including me with this statement "You should complete most of your UL courses at UMPI".

To be fair, UMPI policies have changed a lot since that student went through. For instance, it used to be that 90% of students had to complete at least 2 sessions at UMPI, no matter how fast they went. Sometimes 3 sessions. It used to be that some/most classes were only offered every other session.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I want to be sure this thread stays clear in what the requirements are. So...

My understanding is the residency requirement is different then UL credit requirement for the degree.

1. Residency requirement is the 30 required credits at UMPI to be issued a degree.
2. UL Degree requirements are "majority" of credits taken at UMPI for the major in question.

I know #1 to be true.

I have not found #2 to be 100% true, only do to the ability to bring a minor or 2nd major in to "fill the gap" enough to show required knowledge is complete. (causing you to take additional UL for credit but outside of the org. Major).

Has anyone else seen the 2nd major/minor meet the UL requirement for the degree?
(01-16-2023, 05:44 AM)path_seeker Wrote: One particular user on this forum misled a lot of students, including me with this statement "You should complete most of your UL courses at UMPI".

For BLS degrees, one should complete 24 UL credits irrespective of where they do. Recently, a student transferred a lot of UL courses so this requirement has been satisfied, and he doesn't have to complete ULs again at the UMPI.

But that user has been stressing this point a lot, that most people believed it, including you and me. Even though I had 5 ULs that could have covered the condition, I went to BABA instead of BLS, which costed me 1 extra term.

If you have goe through this forum, you could identify who that user is. It's always better to communicate with Jessica instead of going blindly based upon the suggestions here.

I'm that user. I completed the BLS long before anyone else. The 24 UL credit requirement has since changed where you could transfer in more courses. When I completed my BLS, you had to complete the majority of the 24 ULs at UMPI. This was stated on the degree evaluation and Jessica told me this as well. You do realize things change, right? There have been a ton of changes at UMPI since I first enrolled back in Fall 2020. I was one of about 50 students and now there's about 400 so with the growth came a lot of changes. More are coming. With the move to Brightspace, I imagine it will cause even further changes.

(01-16-2023, 08:58 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: I want to be sure this thread stays clear in what the requirements are. So...

My understanding is the residency requirement is different then UL credit requirement for the degree.

1. Residency requirement is the 30 required credits at UMPI to be issued a degree.
2. UL Degree requirements are "majority" of credits taken at UMPI for the major in question.

I know #1 to be true.

I have not found #2 to be 100% true, only do to the ability to bring a minor or 2nd major in to "fill the gap" enough to show required knowledge is complete. (causing you to take additional UL for credit but outside of the org. Major).

Has anyone else seen the 2nd major/minor meet the UL requirement for the degree?

The UL credit requirements were specifically for the BLS and that has changed. It was an issue with the BABA. 

UL courses for the 2nd minor count towards the 24 UL requirement in the BLS.
(01-16-2023, 12:27 AM)BSBRose21 Wrote: Hi!

I think I made a bit of an error while completing my final transfer courses before I start UMPI for the BABA on Tuesday.   

On Thursday I completed Sophia's "Intro to Chemistry" and the "Intro to Chemistry - Lab"  along with the "Spanish 1" course to satisfy the requirements. Then I completed "Business Law" since I had time.

Since my subscription for Study.com was still valid for this month, I knocked out the remainder of "Business 312: Advanced Operations Management" and "Business 209: Leadership Communication".

However... I did not think about the upper-level residency requirement.  The BABA only has nine upper-level credits.  Based on their course transfer equivalency information both SDC's "Business 312: Advanced Operations Management" and Sophia's "Business Law" are transferable to upper-level.

Will these not transfer in now? Or will I be able to add a concentration to satisfy the upper-level requirement?  

It is completely my fault since I didn't run it by Jessica first. On a positive, I am feeling more comfortable about writing papers!

I completed the BABA in Project Management and Information Systems at UMPI this term. I transferred in Sophia's Busness Law and SDC BUS 312.  I also transferred in BUS 353 (SDC Business 310: Advanced Business Ethics) BUS 400 (Google Cert) it wasn't a problem. 

Note - unless you already have it or need the elective credits that come along with it, I don't recommend doing the Google cert for BUS 400. BUS 400 and 401 are GREAT courses at UMPI. I did 401 at UMPI, and it was an enjoyable final project that I had fun completing. 400 is the same professor and similar. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Decision time: BABA/Leadership vs BLS/Management Kjnova 88 6,207 09-08-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  UMPI YourPace BABA UnderGrad sunjaroa 1 395 08-21-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Completed 20 classes this term Sean1234 24 2,626 07-29-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI BABA Marketing Mrbarbz 11 898 07-14-2024, 10:38 PM
Last Post: layermonkey
  BABA class for last 2 weeks rrrr 6 1,209 07-04-2024, 03:26 PM
  BBA PM & IS timeline 16 classes seven9781 1 246 07-03-2024, 09:56 AM
  Accounting classes at umpi, most did these at sdc Sarajane 7 628 06-24-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: CharisandJon
  BABA Not Business Accredited klone 8 1,468 06-19-2024, 06:20 PM
  Find holes in my BABA plan BoatShoes 16 1,053 06-17-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: BoatShoes
  Sophia Classes for BA Psych? CollegeBraveB 6 1,295 06-10-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP