Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counseling Degree
I am a forever reader on this forum over the years.  I am a first time poster.  I have an Ed. D. in Education!  After having been in Marriage Counseling for the last year I am interested in a new career helping the family unit.  I am in Oklahoma and would be looking to complete this new Masters online.  You guys are amazing when it comes to suggestions..  I thought I would see if I could get feedback.
Secular or religious? For religious, there is Kairos: https://kairos.edu/academics/programs/

Their MA in Marriage and Family Therapy meets licensure requirements for Oklahoma. Their MA in Counseling does NOT meet licensure requirements for Oklahoma, but it does meet requirements for Texas. https://kairos.edu/about/disclosures/ If you are close enough to Texas to have a practice there, that might be an option?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Secular.  Hopefully it would be from a 4 year state accredited university
A mod should move this to the graduate sub-forum.

Start your search here. Most MFT programs that meet licensing requirements will be accredited by this organization. You can select "blended/hybrid" for program type.

https://coamfte.org/COAMFTE/Directory_of...grams.aspx
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If you use the search wiget provided by sanantone then you'll find that OSU is the only one in Oklahoma but you could just as easily do an MSW program  as it will also get you to that same destination.  Once you're out of Oklahoma it hardly matters as long as it will get you licensed in your state..  You're going to have a lot of choices.  Too many to list.  You'll need to define some more search criteria such as cost, completion time, instruction methodology, full-time/part-time, etc.
https://www.cswe.org/accreditation/directory/
The MFT program doesn't have to be in Oklahoma. Many therapy and counseling programs these days have out-of-state students who will complete clinicals, internships, practicums, etc. in their local area.

An alternative would be to look for CACREP programs with a specialty in marriage, couple, and family counseling.

https://www.cacrep.org/directory/?p=%257...%2522%257D
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Do yourself a favor and go the MSW route and wind up with an LCSW. It's waaaaaaay more flexible than an LPC or LMFT (as an LPC with experience in private practice, academia, and the hospital systems).
[-] The following 1 user Likes DeanLewis's post:
  • studyingfortests
(02-08-2023, 02:00 PM)DeanLewis Wrote: Do yourself a favor and go the MSW route and wind up with an LCSW. It's waaaaaaay more flexible than an LPC or LMFT (as an LPC with experience in private practice, academia, and the hospital systems).

Agree. The LCSW provides more opportunities for the provider. From a patient standpoint, I see them as a last resort when everyone else is booked.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I concur about the MSW over an LPC or LMFT.

Wider scope of practice, more flexibility in career path, and MSWs tend to command higher wages.

There are many good programs; checkout CSWE's website, it has an up-to-date list of all online MSW programs.

I personally recommend Western New Mexico U's MSW. Very flexible, you can go full or part-time, they have about 6 start times per year, and the program is completely asynchronous. Cost is one of the lowest in the country at about32k for the entire 2 year program.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 826 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 133 22,771 09-12-2024, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  (NA DEAC) Free tuition Master Degree Penny15 11 1,172 09-04-2024, 11:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Best advised route towards Counseling licensed LPC, LSW or other similar path donz 3 280 08-24-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: donz
  No Bachelor's Degree Required for Master of Taxation sanantone 2 1,551 08-19-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  Nearly half of master degree programs have no ROI sanantone 8 1,558 08-19-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Heartstrings
  Did you receive a non-accredited degree / degree mill degree? (Interview Opportunity) mitchell1857 34 3,491 07-31-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Received offer for job I did not apply for after receiving doctoral degree. soliloquy 7 697 07-04-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Masters in Creative Writing or Similar Degree iblewhite 5 525 06-27-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Cheapest RA Masters degree online newdegree 4 978 06-13-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: David1477