Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMPI Questions
I have searched UMPI's website, the general catalog, the Spring 2024 YourPace catalog and asked Jessica but can't find answers to a few questions. I would be grateful for your input.

1. 1. Is there a way to read the course content before the course officially starts? If it matters, I intend to take Eng 121, Mat 140, Bus 200, PCJ 215, Bus 220, Bus 330, Bus 415, Bus 430, Bus 469 and Bus 489 over several eight week sessions. 

1. 2. What happens if a YourPace student doesn't finish a course before the end of the session? Is all progress lost or is that student able to continue where they left off in the next term?

1. 3. How does one find out who is teaching a specific course during a specific session? Jessica will tell me AFTER enrolling me in the course.

1. 4. Two UMPI courses, 341 and 355, aren't listed under YourPace. Is it possible to take them, or other non YourPace courses, through YourPace?

1. 5. There were mistakes in my transcript evaluation. What is the appeals process at UMPI?  I have strong evidence but Jessica tells me there is nothing I can do. Before I discovered UMPI, I applied to other universities, which made similar errors, and undertook transcript appeals with partial success.

Thank you.
No you can't read the course content before the term begins.

If you don't finish, you need to withdraw before the deadline or take the F. You don't start where you left off. you start over.

It doesn't matter who's teaching a course because you don't get a choice. Most classes don't have more than 1 professor. When there are multiple professors, you're put into the section with open slots.

Nope. If a course isn't listed in YourPace then it's not available in YourPace. YourPace has a limited number of courses available.

What kind of mistakes in your transcript evaluation?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
5) We need to know the mistakes to actually appeal the academic evaluation. Essentially, Jessica is correct, she's usually very lenient with requirements and what can or can't come over. Unless you have proof in the previous transfer catalogs or databases that a class has been accepted before, it'll be hard to appeal.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
(06-05-2024, 01:02 AM)ss20ts Wrote: What kind of mistakes in your transcript evaluation?

Thank you for analyzing my situation. I appreciate your time and expertise. Some of the business courses in my transcript evaluation were accepted as electives when they appear to be virtually identical to the UMPI courses described below. The issues below should not be construed as a complaint against an individual. Instead, the transcript evaluation process is flawed with no obvious means of redress. Tragically, many universities drop the ball in the same area

Obviously, I lack a terminal degree in business and am therefore unqualified to determine two courses are substantially equal. What I can state is that I evaluated the course syllabi for the pertinent Sophia courses, and carefully compared them with the matching UMPI courses. Next, I researched how other regionally accredited Sophia partner universities transfer those same Sophia courses. Finally, I consulted with educators and current and former UMPI students who took these Sophia courses to obtain more fully informed opinions about course equivalency. 

1. Based upon this research, Sophia’s Introduction to Statistics Course ( https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/ma...tistics-2/ ) is essentially equal to UMPI's  MAT 201 - Probability and Statistics I in content and rigor. Instead, UMPI transferred Sophia's  statistics course as MAT 101 - Basic Statistics. This is a foundational course equivalent to Sophia's Foundations of Statistics. As a result, my Sophia Foundations course transferred as an unnamed elective, 1XX. I might add that all of the Sophia partner universities I checked with transferred Sophia's Introduction to Statistics as a 200 or 300 level course.
  2. Using the same methodology, I conducted the similar research for Sophia's Principles of Finance (https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/bu...of-finance ) and determined it most closely aligns with UMPI's Bus 325. Due to its depth and rigor, ACE recommends Sophia's Principles of Finance for 3 upper-level credits. Inexplicably, Principles of Finance was transferred as a 1XX business elective. Most Sophia partner universities accept Sophia's Principles of Finance as a 300 or 400 level course.

1. 3. Sophia's Principles of Management course  ( https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/bu...anagement/ ) is by far their most challenging course. Its depth and breadth is unmatched by other Sophia courses. Not surprisingly, it is the Sophia course most commonly transferred as a 400 level course. ACE confirms this by recommending it for 3 upper level credit hours. I was stupefied to learn UMPI transferred it as Introduction to Business, a 1XX course. This is ironic because my Sophia Introduction to Business course was transferred as a 2XX business elective rather than as UMPI's Introduction to Business. Amazingly, UMPI doesn't currently offer a general management course through YourPace. The closest course I can find is Bus 410.  While not an exact match, this course description far more closely aligns with the nature of the course than a 1XX transfer.

1. 4. I was unaware of the difficulty posed by Sophia's English Composition l, ( https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/en...sition-i-4 ) I took it three years ago before discovering this forum. Sophia's English 1 was not transferred as the virtually identical UMPI English 121, rather a remedial course College Composition 101.  This prevented Sophia's Foundations of English Composition from transferring into its equivalent, College Composition 101. Instead it's listed as 1XX. 
Universities accept Sophia courses based upon their accreditation, in this case through ACE. As you are aware, ACE accreditation is not programmatic. Rather, each course is evaluated, analyzed and defined by ACE.  This accreditation is not vague but defines the subject and whether the individual course meets the standards of a lower level or upper level college course. I'm uncertain what authority a lone university has to redefine the essence of a course completed elsewhere but it is a slippery slope. 

Although I am a Sophia Ambassador, I did not use my access to Sophia management to acquire information for my research described above. The opinions articulated are my own; I am not speaking for Sophia.  Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Each school makes its own evaluations as the ACE recommendations are just that, recommendations. For example, many of the courses and certificates that other schools evaluate as upper level are evaluated as lower level by TESU. In the case of UMPI, they bring in Business Law and Microbiology as 300-level courses despite the lower level recommendation from ACE.

ACE recommends Principles of Finance as lower-level:
https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...65f38bf0e1
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
Apparently, the course has been revised. It was recommended for upper level credit when I took it. The plurality of Sophia partners appear to accept Principles of Finance as an upper level course including:

Excelsior University
https://excelsior.sophia.org/ BUS 350- Principles of Finance

Bay Path University
baypathu.sophia.org BU327 Principles of Finance

University of Arizona GC
https://uagc.sophia.org/ BUS 401 Principles of Finance

Walden University
https://waldenu.sophia.org/ FNCE 3001: Financial Management

I respect the right of individual schools to make their own decisions but it sure would simplify the transfer process if standards could be adopted, for introductory classes, to facilitate transfer.
On the ACE website, Principles of Finance is listed as lower level in the prior period too, from 2020 onwards. Either way, good luck to you, but it seems unlikely that UMPI will change their evaluation on these, as they are classes that they have quite frequently evaluated and another school's determination rarely influences another.

Most schools don't even accept the foundation courses, so if you are getting any credit for them, that is simply a nice bonus.

Sophia English 1 is correctly identified as English 101. Sophia English 2 is correctly identified as English 121.
Catalog: http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=223

You could take Workplace Writing II on Sophia instead of English 2.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-05-2024, 12:50 PM)SophiaPrincess Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 01:02 AM)ss20ts Wrote: What kind of mistakes in your transcript evaluation?

Thank you for analyzing my situation. I appreciate your time and expertise. Some of the business courses in my transcript evaluation were accepted as electives when they appear to be virtually identical to the UMPI courses described below. The issues below should not be construed as a complaint against an individual. Instead, the transcript evaluation process is flawed with no obvious means of redress. Tragically, many universities drop the ball in the same area

Obviously, I lack a terminal degree in business and am therefore unqualified to determine two courses are substantially equal. What I can state is that I evaluated the course syllabi for the pertinent Sophia courses, and carefully compared them with the matching UMPI courses. Next, I researched how other regionally accredited Sophia partner universities transfer those same Sophia courses. Finally, I consulted with educators and current and former UMPI students who took these Sophia courses to obtain more fully informed opinions about course equivalency. 

1. Based upon this research, Sophia’s Introduction to Statistics Course ( https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/ma...tistics-2/ ) is essentially equal to UMPI's  MAT 201 - Probability and Statistics I in content and rigor. Instead, UMPI transferred Sophia's  statistics course as MAT 101 - Basic Statistics. This is a foundational course equivalent to Sophia's Foundations of Statistics. As a result, my Sophia Foundations course transferred as an unnamed elective, 1XX. I might add that all of the Sophia partner universities I checked with transferred Sophia's Introduction to Statistics as a 200 or 300 level course.
  2. Using the same methodology, I conducted the similar research for Sophia's Principles of Finance (https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/bu...of-finance ) and determined it most closely aligns with UMPI's Bus 325. Due to its depth and rigor, ACE recommends Sophia's Principles of Finance for 3 upper-level credits. Inexplicably, Principles of Finance was transferred as a 1XX business elective. Most Sophia partner universities accept Sophia's Principles of Finance as a 300 or 400 level course.

1. 3. Sophia's Principles of Management course  ( https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/bu...anagement/ ) is by far their most challenging course. Its depth and breadth is unmatched by other Sophia courses. Not surprisingly, it is the Sophia course most commonly transferred as a 400 level course. ACE confirms this by recommending it for 3 upper level credit hours. I was stupefied to learn UMPI transferred it as Introduction to Business, a 1XX course. This is ironic because my Sophia Introduction to Business course was transferred as a 2XX business elective rather than as UMPI's Introduction to Business. Amazingly, UMPI doesn't currently offer a general management course through YourPace. The closest course I can find is Bus 410.  While not an exact match, this course description far more closely aligns with the nature of the course than a 1XX transfer.

1. 4. I was unaware of the difficulty posed by Sophia's English Composition l, ( https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/en...sition-i-4 ) I took it three years ago before discovering this forum. Sophia's English 1 was not transferred as the virtually identical UMPI English 121, rather a remedial course College Composition 101.  This prevented Sophia's Foundations of English Composition from transferring into its equivalent, College Composition 101. Instead it's listed as 1XX. 
Universities accept Sophia courses based upon their accreditation, in this case through ACE. As you are aware, ACE accreditation is not programmatic. Rather, each course is evaluated, analyzed and defined by ACE.  This accreditation is not vague but defines the subject and whether the individual course meets the standards of a lower level or upper level college course. I'm uncertain what authority a lone university has to redefine the essence of a course completed elsewhere but it is a slippery slope. 

Although I am a Sophia Ambassador, I did not use my access to Sophia management to acquire information for my research described above. The opinions articulated are my own; I am not speaking for Sophia.  Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

The courses you are complaining about have been determined by staff and faculty on how they transfer into UMPI. Many of these courses were decided years ago. Just because the name or course description is similar, does NOT mean that the course is actually similar to what is taught. You'd have to look at the actual course syllabus to make that determination. If you think Sophia's courses are challenging, you might be in for a rude awakening. The Principles of Management course from Sophia is walk in the park compared to pretty much every business class at UMPI. 

I've taken stats on Sophia and at a community college. The community college course covered far more material, was far more in depth, and had so many more assignments. The Sophia course was really short and easy compared to the textbook I had to learn. 

Every college gets to determine if and how they accept ACE credits. Just because ACE says something is UL doesn't mean it's UL at any college. ACE does not get to decide how colleges accept these credits. They are just recommendations. You're fighting a losing battle. I wouldn't waste my energy at all on this. Instead, I would be ecstatic that UMPI even accepts ACE credits and seriously over the moon for how many they accept as you won't find this at most colleges. 

UMPI is NOT a partner college with Sophia. 

Are you utilizing AI to write this post? It does not read like a human wrote or maybe English isn't your first language?

(06-05-2024, 01:40 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: On the ACE website, Principles of Finance is listed as lower level in the prior period too, from 2020 onwards. Either way, good luck to you, but it seems unlikely that UMPI will change their evaluation on these, as they are classes that they have quite frequently evaluated and another school's determination rarely influences another.

Most schools don't even accept the foundation courses, so if you are getting any credit for them, that is simply a nice bonus.

Sophia English 1 is correctly identified as English 101. Sophia English 2 is correctly identified as English 121.
Catalog: http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=223

You could take Workplace Writing II on Sophia instead of English 2.

The Principles of Finance course from Sophia doesn't cover what BUS325 covers at UMPI. Not even close. UMPI isn't going to change their mind like you said. Hundreds of students have been through this process and it's not going to change.
(06-05-2024, 12:50 PM)SophiaPrincess Wrote:

According to the Wiki https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List, your transfers lined up as they should have been expected to. Intro to Statistics is supposed to transfer in as MAT-101. Principles of Finance is supposed to transfer in as a 1XX Business Elective. Principles of Management should transfer in as Business 101. As for the 4th one, I'm confused as to why you thought that Sophia's English Comp I would transfer in as the equivalent of UMPI's English Comp II, which is what their ENG 121 class is. It correctly transferred in as ENG-101, as it should. The Foundations courses generally aren't accepted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RJ77's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Criminal Justice BA YourPace Program Completed slaterjack 10 833 4 hours ago
Last Post: Bunnies2012
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 30 3,892 Today, 07:12 AM
Last Post: azmusic
  European studying umpi your pace . MuneebAzhar 70 4,351 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: kakasahib
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 32 9,330 08-23-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 0 315 08-21-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI YourPace BABA UnderGrad sunjaroa 1 323 08-21-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Language requirements at UMPI yc1981 9 919 08-16-2024, 11:08 PM
  Transfer cybersecurity minor/major into UMPI? Robson 11 661 08-16-2024, 12:03 PM
  Need help for UMPI YourPace Admission AnnaVu 6 679 08-16-2024, 11:42 AM
  ENEB to UMPI MAOL? ecdw94 6 535 08-16-2024, 11:24 AM