Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI PM & IS Degree. Complete Newbie
Thumbs Up 
Your Location: The Bahamas
Your Age: 37
What kind of degree do you want?: UMPI BBA Project Man. & IS

Current Regional Accredited Credits: Did a few courses at a vocational school but I doubt the credits will transfer. 
Can provide a copy or if you can connect me with a UMPI rep that can confirm if it's worth anything that'll be great also

School Name Total Credits: 0
Class Name, Credits, Grade

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 0 Literally starting over from scratch.

Provider Total Credits: 0
Class Name, Credits, Grade

Any certifications or military experience? None, not a resident.

Budget: I have a max of $3K saved up.  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  

Commitments: I have 2 kids. Work a full time job and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends. 
My job gets slow at times so I can squeeze in some time there as well.

Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free. I estimate at least 6 hours every week.

Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 6/9 months max.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: No financial assistance available to me.

This is all new to me, I've been reading through the forum for a few days trying to understand certain terminologies and how best to plan to attain my degree. 
I chose UMPI because it is one of the few universities willing to accept international students and seemingly the most affordable as well if I am very strategic.

Currently trying to decide on the GE classes for the PM & IS degree but I am seeing a variation of reults, which is expected, I found a degree plan through youtube but the youtuber is pushing Study.com/straighline all the way.
I'd prefer to go the Sophia route as much as possible because of it's affordability. 

If any of you can provide the alternative classes from the attached degree plan for SOPHIA that would be so helpful.

I welcome any and all advice on how to proceed. 

One more thing, I am on the UMPI wiki page and I'm reviewing the GE requirements. 
I am not quite understanding the rubric with the learning objectives. Does the 1A, 2D, 3C refer to a grade expectancy or refer to a course label?

I also visited the transfer equivalency per the UMPI site and it's offering some clarity on which course is the equal to Sophia course.

Thank you. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. 
I am ready to start tomorrow with Sophia if possible. See attached sheet copied from YouTube.

Attached Files
.png   UMPI-General-Education-Requirements-Roadmap-Degree-Forum-Wiki.png (Size: 217.88 KB / Downloads: 15)
.pdf   UMPIBAInformationSystems.xlsx - Google Sheets.pdf (Size: 83.2 KB / Downloads: 16)
The GEC numbers are the objective numbers that UMPI uses - example, Learning Objective 1A (LO 1A). Some classes will fill in more than 1 objective - for example, English I from Sophia can cover Learning Objectives 1A and 1D. You need 40 credits for the GEC (general education).

For your general education requirements, follow the first class listed for each learning objective on this page for the simplest path, with the exception of 1B where I would recommend Workplace Writing II over Sophia's English II - Workplace Writing II is graded faster and has 1 less essay: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap

For your major, follow the first Sophia class listed or the Study dot com class listed:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

For free electives, you can do Sophia, Study dot com or something like the Coursera certificates.

Recent plan for Gen-Ed from scratch:

Requirement LOC Source Class Credits
Gen Ed 1A Sophia English I 3
Gen Ed 1B Sophia Workplace Writing II 3
Gen Ed 1C Sophia Workplace Communication 3
Gen Ed 1D Sophia English I (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 2A Sophia Introduction to Ethics 3
Gen Ed 2B Sophia Introduction to Ethics (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 2C Sophia Workplace Writing II (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 2D Sophia Visual Communications 3
Gen Ed 2E Sophia Art History II 3
Gen Ed 3A Sophia College Algebra 3
Gen Ed 3B Sophia College Algebra (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 3C Sophia Human Biology 3
Gen Ed 3D Sophia Environmental Science 3
Gen Ed 3E Sophia Human Biology Lab 1
Gen Ed 4A UMPI Orientation 0
Gen Ed 4B Sophia Workplace Writing II (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 4C Sophia Introduction to Ethics (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 5A Sophia Introduction to Sociology 3
Gen Ed 5B Sophia US History I (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 5C Sophia Spanish I 3
Gen Ed 5D Sophia Introduction to Ethics (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 5E Sophia US Government 3
plus one class to make it to 40 credits in GEC
LL Sophia US History I 3
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • TooNee
(07-31-2024, 07:35 PM)TooNee Wrote: Currently trying to decide on the GE classes for the PM & IS degree but I am seeing a variation of reults, which is expected, I found a degree plan through youtube but the youtuber is pushing Study.com/straighline all the way.
I'd prefer to go the Sophia route as much as possible because of it's affordability. 

They suggest Study.com/SL because they are making affiliate commissions.

With Study.com, you can only take a maximum of 5 courses per month, which can slow some people down. Also, Study.com/SL costs a lot more than Sophia and usually takes longer to complete.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • jg_nuy, ss20ts
I've seen his YouTube videos and he always recommends Study even when it makes no sense. The Google Sheets from UMPI YourPace Facebook group is a lot more practical. I'm linking it here, I'd recommend you check it out.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...o/htmlview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pikachu's post:
  • TooNee
(07-31-2024, 10:23 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: The GEC numbers are the objective numbers that UMPI uses - example, Learning Objective 1A (LO 1A). Some classes will fill in more than 1 objective - for example, English I from Sophia can cover Learning Objectives 1A and 1D. You need 40 credits for the GEC (general education).

For your general education requirements, follow the first class listed for each learning objective on this page for the simplest path, with the exception of 1B where I would recommend Workplace Writing II over Sophia's English II - Workplace Writing II is graded faster and has 1 less essay: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap

For your major, follow the first Sophia class listed or the Study dot com class listed:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

For free electives, you can do Sophia, Study dot com or something like the Coursera certificates.

Recent plan for Gen-Ed from scratch:

Requirement LOC Source Class Credits
Gen Ed 1A Sophia English I 3
Gen Ed 1B Sophia Workplace Writing II 3
Gen Ed 1C Sophia Workplace Communication 3
Gen Ed 1D Sophia English I (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 2A Sophia Introduction to Ethics 3
Gen Ed 2B Sophia Introduction to Ethics (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 2C Sophia Workplace Writing II (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 2D Sophia Visual Communications 3
Gen Ed 2E Sophia Art History II 3
Gen Ed 3A Sophia College Algebra 3
Gen Ed 3B Sophia College Algebra (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 3C Sophia Human Biology 3
Gen Ed 3D Sophia Environmental Science 3
Gen Ed 3E Sophia Human Biology Lab 1
Gen Ed 4A UMPI Orientation 0
Gen Ed 4B Sophia Workplace Writing II (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 4C Sophia Introduction to Ethics (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 5A Sophia Introduction to Sociology 3
Gen Ed 5B Sophia US History I (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 5C Sophia Spanish I 3
Gen Ed 5D Sophia Introduction to Ethics (duplicate) 0
Gen Ed 5E Sophia US Government 3
plus one class to make it to 40 credits in GEC
LL Sophia US History I 3
This helps tremendously! Thank you so much!

(08-01-2024, 08:10 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(07-31-2024, 07:35 PM)TooNee Wrote: Currently trying to decide on the GE classes for the PM & IS degree but I am seeing a variation of reults, which is expected, I found a degree plan through youtube but the youtuber is pushing Study.com/straighline all the way.

They suggest Study.com/SL because they are making affiliate commissions.

With Study.com, you can only take a maximum of 5 courses per month, which can slow some people down. Also, Study.com/SL costs a lot more than Sophia and usually takes longer to complete.

You are right on the money! After watching a few more videos and seeing Study.com recommended by others I figured they must be paid.

Thank you.

(08-01-2024, 12:08 PM)Pikachu Wrote: I've seen his YouTube videos and he always recommends Study even when it makes no sense. The Google Sheets from UMPI YourPace Facebook group is a lot more practical. I'm linking it here, I'd recommend you check it out.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...o/htmlview

Wow, she really went in depth! I truly appreciate this!!  Heart
Just wanted to update you guys. I started Sophia today. Decided to begin with English Comp1. Any tips on how to process the lesson efficiently so as to not waste too much time on taking unnecessary notes? Or kindly direct me to a forum that assist with this specifically, which is probably best.

I intend to commence Intro to Statistics as my second course concurrently with English comp 1.
Do you think it's a good choice or should I choose another course to complete that may not be as heavy of a burden as English comp 1?

Thank you in advance!
(08-04-2024, 10:57 PM)TooNee Wrote: Just wanted to update you guys. I started Sophia today. Decided to begin with English Comp1. Any tips on how to process the lesson efficiently so as to not waste too much time on taking unnecessary notes? Or kindly direct me to a forum that assist with this specifically, which is probably best.

I intend to commence Intro to Statistics as my second course concurrently with English comp 1.
Do you think it's a good choice or should I choose another course to complete that may not be as heavy of a burden as English comp 1?

Thank you in advance!

Here's a list of the easiest and quickest courses.

Visual Communications
Environmental Science
Art History II
Introduction to Ethics
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu, TooNee
(08-05-2024, 11:03 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-04-2024, 10:57 PM)TooNee Wrote: Just wanted to update you guys. I started Sophia today. Decided to begin with English Comp1. Any tips on how to process the lesson efficiently so as to not waste too much time on taking unnecessary notes? Or kindly direct me to a forum that assist with this specifically, which is probably best.

Thank you in advance!

Here's a list of the easiest and quickest courses.

Visual Communications
Environmental Science
Art History II
Introduction to Ethics
Got it, thank you. I think as I progress, I'll pair courses based on their complexity or expected duration to complete. So for now, I'll do English Comp 1 with Visual Communications. Then probably Enviro. Science/Intro to Statistics etc etc. Thank you.
The placement of the period is key, I read it as this: UMPI PM & IS Degree Complete. Newbie
I would recommend following the roadmaps for the UMPI Gen Eds and then the PM & IS...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • TooNee
English Comp 1 is sooooo cumbersome! I am familiar with the subject and assignments but geesh 5 writing assignments.
On the flip side, Visual communications was successfully completed and I am currently still working through Englsh comp 1 and now Intro to Ethics. Intro to ethics is a bit of a mental juggle, when I think I have grasped the definition or comprehension of a term the challenge questions confirms I in fact did not. LOL
This is just an update for myself and for any future persons heading down the same path. All suggestions and help will be appreciated. I am nearing the close of my one month and hope to close out on at least 4 classes. Visual, Eng. Comp 1, Intro to Ethics and hopefully Art History.

Share your wealth of knowledge with me and wish me Luck Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 5 373 Today, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 9 145 Today, 12:13 AM
Last Post: starsfan33
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 10 297 Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BABA Marketing from UMPI Raza Shah 0 83 09-22-2024, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Raza Shah
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 261 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 269 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 212 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 561 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 310 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 315 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77