Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tutoring help
We all need a little extra assistance from time to time. If you're struggling with your classes (whether alternative credits or otherwise), here are some suggestions:

Study.com: Premium & College Accelerator plans (not Basic) include tutoring services for Math, Chemistry, Physics & Biology. One 20-minute session per day. Separately, you can also ask questions about Business, Computer Science, English, History, Humanities, Math, Psychology, Science, or Social Science. 10 total questions per month, $4 for each additional question. From your Dashboard, click either "Tutoring Center" or "Message Tutors". 

StraighterLine: 10 hours of tutoring is included with membership. I'm not sure if this is per class or the limit is 10 hours no matter how many courses you buy. Guessing it's the latter? 

Sophia.org: College Algebra, Intro to Stats, Foundations of English Comp, English Comp I, and English Comp II should each include 10 hours of tutoring. With pre-scheduled tutoring sessions, you should get about 15 sessions out of this. 

ASU: For $25 per semester (at least for the first semester), you can get tutoring in subjects covered by the Universal Learner courses. Even if you plan to take Calculus somewhere else, paying $50 for a semester's worth of Calculus tutoring is a good deal ($25 course upgrade fee + $25 tutoring fee). Check your student dashboard for the link to sign up for the tutoring service.

UMPI: Not sure it applies to YourPace students (it should?) but UMPI does offer tutoring to its students.

College/university-specific tutoring: A lot of colleges and universities have free or cheap tutoring available for students. Some examples, based on schools that have been previously recommended here, include: Oakton Community College, South Texas College, Waubonsee Comunity College. To find out if the school you're using has tutoring, use the search terms "site:MYSCHOOL.edu tutor" to see what comes up. For instance, site:oakton.edu tutor has the above link as a top search result.

Tutor.com/PrincetonReview.com: If you somehow don't have any other options, this is a last resort. It's $40/mo for 1 tutoring hour per month or almost $200/mo. for 5 tutoring hours per month, so it's pretty expensive compared to choices listed above. 

Cheaper options than tutor.com can be found in this article: https://www.verywellfamily.com/best-onli...es-5073743 Some of them are  meant solely for K-12 students and NOT for college/university students but I have otherwise not checked out any of them in depth.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • harrypotter, Pikachu, uncapentin
(12-10-2021, 08:43 PM)rachel83az Wrote: We all need a little extra assistance from time to time. If you're struggling with your classes (whether alternative credits or otherwise), here are some suggestions:

Study.com: Premium & College Accelerator plans (not Basic) include tutoring services for Math, Chemistry, Physics & Biology. One 20-minute session per day. Separately, you can also ask questions about Business, Computer Science, English, History, Humanities, Math, Psychology, Science, or Social Science. 10 total questions per month, $4 for each additional question. From your Dashboard, click either "Tutoring Center" or "Message Tutors". 

StraighterLine: 10 hours of tutoring is included with membership. I'm not sure if this is per class or the limit is 10 hours no matter how many courses you buy. Guessing it's the latter? 

Sophia.org: College Algebra, Intro to Stats, Foundations of English Comp, English Comp I, and English Comp II should each include 10 hours of tutoring. With pre-scheduled tutoring sessions, you should get about 15 sessions out of this. 

ASU: For $25 per semester (at least for the first semester), you can get tutoring in subjects covered by the Universal Learner courses. Even if you plan to take Calculus somewhere else, paying $50 for a semester's worth of Calculus tutoring is a good deal ($25 course upgrade fee + $25 tutoring fee). Check your student dashboard for the link to sign up for the tutoring service.

UMPI: Not sure it applies to YourPace students (it should?) but UMPI does offer tutoring to its students.

College/university-specific tutoring: A lot of colleges and universities have free or cheap tutoring available for students. Some examples, based on schools that have been previously recommended here, include: Oakton Community College, South Texas College, Waubonsee Comunity College. To find out if the school you're using has tutoring, use the search terms "site:MYSCHOOL.edu tutor" to see what comes up. For instance, site:oakton.edu tutor has the above link as a top search result.

Tutor.com/PrincetonReview.com: If you somehow don't have any other options, this is a last resort. It's $40/mo for 1 tutoring hour per month or almost $200/mo. for 5 tutoring hours per month, so it's pretty expensive compared to choices listed above. 

Cheaper options than tutor.com can be found in this article: https://www.verywellfamily.com/best-onli...es-5073743 Some of them are  meant solely for K-12 students and NOT for college/university students but I have otherwise not checked out any of them in depth.

It might be of interest that Tutor.com is also the tutoring services provider for StraighterLine.

https://www.straighterline.com/press/tut...ghterline/

Some public library systems will also have tutoring available (through community members or an online provider).
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • harrypotter
Yes, YourPace gets tutoring from your actual professors!
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
Be sure to check your local library's website! They will very likely offer free unlimited online tutoring services.

For example Los Angeles County Library System partners with Brainfuse
https://lacountylibrary.org/students/

Some libraries like LAPL even partner with tutor.com
https://www.lapl.org/onlinetutor

I'm assuming tutor.com is a more expensive service that's probably more often found in larger libraries
BABA, New England College, 2019
ashkir Wrote:Yes, YourPace gets tutoring from your actual professors!

That's awesome, most professors are there to help but not as a "tutor" but more as a mentor to guide you through the process.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-20-2022, 02:37 AM)JohnnyBurnham Wrote: As I see, do all the tutor services include payments, no one free?

The only "free" tutors are the ones included with membership or tuition fees. If you want something 100% free, you can check your public library or community center. I think those places sometimes have free tutoring events where you can ask and receive help for specific questions.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
TESU includes free tutoring for all enrolled students through a partnership with Pearson.

I used it a few times for reviews of papers I was writing, and they offered helpful suggestions, but at times I got the sense the tutor was required (to get paid) to identify x number of things, and when they got to that number, they stopped even if there were more issues.

I didn't use the live tutoring but others I know have and have found it helpful. My current grad school (WNMU) uses the same service.
(07-20-2022, 02:27 PM)studyingfortests Wrote: TESU includes free tutoring for all enrolled students through a partnership with Pearson.

I used it a few times for reviews of papers I was writing, and they offered helpful suggestions, but at times I got the sense the tutor was required (to get paid) to identify x number of things, and when they got to that number, they stopped even if there were more issues.

I didn't use the live tutoring but others I know have and have found it helpful.  My current grad school (WNMU) uses the same service.

I used the TESU tutor services also. It's not perfect, but it is helpful.

I used Spanish tutors before, and a lot of times, you have to tutor them how to tutor you. Lol 

In other words, you need to know what you want to focus on and how that will be accomplished. I learned this after some tutors would grab a book like Practice Makes Perfect Spanish and just read through the book line by line.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-06-2022, 04:05 PM)ashkir Wrote: Yes, YourPace gets tutoring from your actual professors!

when I searched it, all I found was some defensive driving course
studyingfortests Wrote:TESU includes free tutoring for all enrolled students through a partnership with Pearson.

I didn't use the live tutoring but others I know have and have found it helpful. My current grad school (WNMU) uses the same service.

I've not used any tutoring service for myself, but have for my kids. I wonder if I would really need it or not... Anyways, I was more interested in which program you're taking at WNMU! Which grad program is that?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone use Paper.co for their tutoring? bjcheung77 0 529 03-02-2022, 12:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What do you think about cheap online tutoring? burbuja0512 2 1,426 01-29-2018, 06:09 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  thinkwell tutoring? creationstory 0 853 01-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Last Post: creationstory