Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tried sending ACE Saylor courses not listed on equivalency lists?
I'm curious if anyone has tried sending ACE recommended courses from Saylor to TESU if they are not on the Saylor or TESU equivalency list sites.

In particular I'm interested Saylors CS302, Software Engineering, which is currently recommended as UL from ACE.  For my purposes I don't care a ton if it ends up being UL, I'm already done all my UL.  But I do need one more elective.  Is it a complete waste of time and $5, (ie it is already known for sure that courses not specifically listed aren't accepted PERIOD), or is there any uncertainty about whether or not these courses are accepted at all?
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
It should be accepted but it's not known as what.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
According to Dorothy44, this Saylor's Software Engineering transfers in as LL

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...OR-enddate

You can try asking TESU academic advising to see if they say something different.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-18-2022, 04:21 PM)LevelUP Wrote: According to Dorothy44, this Saylor's Software Engineering transfers in as LL

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...OR-enddate

You can try asking TESU academic advising to see if they say something different.

Seems she never replied on how recently she had actually taken it.  Wonder if it was before it was upgraded to UL status.  At any rate, if it is likely to transfer as LL, I'm probably going to take a stab at it.  Looked over the general course layout and seems very similar to the SDC systems analysis course that I'm wrapping up.  It is also somewhat relevant to the work I'm doing and I don't care if it is UL or not.  I'll probably do it in about a month after I completely wrap up my SDC.

And to derail my own thread with a side track - I never noticed CMP-354 Network Technology can be done at Saylor - has it been like that for a while? I thought there was much consternation over getting UL courses in the BACS? Wouldn't this be a 4th UL elective from alt credit?
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
We have been looking for a while for an easy UL course for Computer Science so we don't have to mess with a TECEP or TESU course. 

For Computer Science, the ULs in the AOS are:
1. Capstone
2. System Analysis SDC
3. DB Management SDC
4. MIS SDC
5. Computer Architecture SDC
6. TECEP Networking or pick a TESU course such as Software Engineering, Networking, or AI.

So far, no students have confirmed anything else will work for UL.

Once we find that course, on DF we'll do the equivalent of ripping down the goalposts at a college football game  Big Grin
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Arto, novadar
(10-18-2022, 04:59 PM)LevelUP Wrote: We have been looking for a while for an easy UL course for Computer Science so we don't have to mess with a TECEP or TESU course. 

1. Capstone
2. System Analysis SDC
3. DB Management SDC
4. MIS SDC
6. TECEP Networking or pick a TESU course such as Software Engineering, Networking, or AI.

Once we find that course, on DF we'll do the equivalent of ripping down the goalposts at a college football game  Big Grin

I just realized I wasn't looking at the third column on TESU's page - if you take the Saylor networking course, you still take the TECEP to get credit I guess.  Well, I'll try the software one, my guess is they'll give LL just to crush our dreams, but that'll be good enough for me either way.  Probably bestto just do Addt'l AOS for the last UL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes spohara's post:
  • AllThose299s
(10-18-2022, 04:59 PM)LevelUP Wrote: We have been looking for a while for an easy UL course for Computer Science so we don't have to mess with a TECEP or TESU course. 

1. Capstone
2. System Analysis SDC
3. DB Management SDC
4. MIS SDC

You forgot about the SAS Advanced Programmer Professional Certificate. That's an UL math that counts in the AOS for CS students.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-18-2022, 05:25 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You forgot about the SAS Advanced Programmer Professional Certificate. That's an UL math that counts in the AOS for CS students.

Hmm. I wonder how long it took sarahmac to get cert?
(10-18-2022, 05:48 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(10-18-2022, 05:25 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You forgot about the SAS Advanced Programmer Professional Certificate. That's an UL math that counts in the AOS for CS students.

Hmm. I wonder how long it took sarahmac to get cert?

I did the basic cert and it took a while.  It was involved and there was a coding assignment or two for every section.  Compared to other Coursera courses, this one was much closer to the estimated time they have listed (still not quite as long as they estimate).  I imagine the advanced is probably pretty similar, fairly involved.  But if SAS is important to you and a guaranteed pass is more important than time spent, it could be worthwhile.  It's just much more effort than the SDC stuff (which is kind of a joke).  It can probably be done in a week if you're not working full time, otherwise a month if you have substantial weekend or weeknight time to dedicate.  Can't just listen on the commute take a test and write a paper in an hour or two though!

She also mentioned the IBM full stack gets you an upper Addtl AOS if you prefer that route.  Picks up some other random credits (mostly useless except for electives) too.  But if you're going to use any of the technologies covered, it could be worthwhile.
[-] The following 2 users Like spohara's post:
  • Arto, mariobros1985
For $5, I would just take it and transfer it in, even if it comes up as lower level and as an elective. That's exactly what you're looking for anyways...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does TESU take Saylor Software Engineering as UL or LL? Jwheels27 6 295 09-01-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: azmusic
  ASU and CLEP College Math equivalency homeschoolmom1 1 111 08-30-2024, 06:25 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  Equivalency for Study.com Chemistry wow 16 474 08-18-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are EDX MicroMasters Courses Transferrable to TESU? animuscerebri 2 380 07-04-2024, 03:25 PM
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 595 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 640 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Taking Math Courses at TESU legenwait4itdary 5 915 02-02-2024, 12:32 PM
  Transfer Equivalency- BUS- 2100 at TESU dhanub 4 795 10-18-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Saylor SE course and transfer as UL experience? evenFair23 9 1,031 09-26-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: evenFair23
  TESU Bachelor’s Canadian equivalency elenlushk 17 3,272 06-11-2023, 01:41 AM
Last Post: fmsoa