Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equivalency for Study.com Chemistry
I was looking on the Study.com TESU equivalencies page today (https://study.com/college/school/thomas-...rsity.html) and saw Study.com's Chemistry 111 and 112 with lab (4 credits) listed as equivalent to "Basic" Chemistry 1 & 2 (3 credits). I'm wondering if the 3 credits refers to taking the courses without lab (which is an option)?

Also, Basic Chemistry isn't in TESU's catalog, so I wonder if it means "General" Chemistry--or if this is something TESU made up to avoid giving people credit for General Chemistry/because TESU does that a lot.

Can anyone who has transferred in one or both of these Study.com courses WITH lab confirm for me how they transferred, and whether the lab was accepted for a fourth credit or not?
I am not enrolled in TESU but my nephew and I are looking to keep it open as an option for the future, which is why I'd like to know.
I asked my advisor about chemistry 1 and chemistry 2 for the Biology BA. His response was that I can do Saylor for the chemistry 1 course and then use Straighterline's chem 1 lab which will do the lab requirement. None of the study.com or Sophia options will work. That is in contrast to the information listed on study.com. If anyone has any other information on this I would appreciate it as well
OK. That's not great news about Study.com but might be good news in other ways. According to the TESU Catalog, the biology clep Transfers as general biology 1 and 2 without lab and the Chemistry clep transfers in as general chemistry one and two without lab. So that might mean that you could take the CLEPs and get most of your general biology and general chem credits, and then just have to take the labs on straighter line. Of course, that would mean having to pass the CLEPs. But if you are going for a biology degree, you would want to have a solid enough background in biology and chemistry to be able to pass the CLEPs anyway.

I took the biology CLEP a few years ago and and did well. However, I had spent at least a couple months studying intensively for it (I don't remember exactly how long it was). I prepped using the online biology courses at Saylor, online degree, Khan Academy, and a little Study.com (the cheap subscription that just gives you access to the lessons and quizzes, but not the tests). I also took the free versions of some courses on edx and Coursera, but I don't think you can really do that anymore because they've locked down so much of the content unless you pay. I made my own study flashcards using Anki.

My final step was watching the modern states videos, but that was more of a review than anything, and I mostly did it because it was required in order to get the modern states voucher.

I probably overprepared, but I don't regret it because that meant I wasn't super nervous going into the test and it also helped me with future biology classes that came later, including anatomy and physiology and genetics.

You need to take organic chemistry for the TESU biology degree, so I am certain that over preparing and studying for the chemistry clep would not hurt at all. People say that organic chemistry is a bear, so the more prepared with a solid knowledge of general chemistry you go into it, the better off you are.

Alternatively, you could just take all your general chemistry courses through straighter line, assuming that that non-lab parts are also transferable to TESU for the Biology BA. Or you can take general chemistry through TESU, depending on your financial situation and how many classes you can afford to take there. They actually offer General chemistry at TESU, unlike general biology

What were you planning for your Biology ULs?
You will need to take the corresponding labs elsewhere for Bio, Chem, Physics such as BIO I Lab - SL, you'll need to find a BIO II lab elsewhere. CLEP exams and how TESU takes them is here: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/curre...lep-exams/

You can take the labs at TESU if you do the flat rate tuition
CHE-1280: General Chemistry Labs I
CHE-1290: General Chemistry Labs II
PHY-1280: Physics I Lab
PHY-1290: Physics II Lab
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-17-2024, 02:29 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You will need to take the corresponding labs elsewhere for Bio, Chem, Physics such as BIO I Lab - SL, you'll need to find a BIO II lab elsewhere.  CLEP exams and how TESU takes them is here: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/curre...lep-exams/

You can take the labs at TESU if you do the flat rate tuition
CHE-1280: General Chemistry Labs I
CHE-1290: General Chemistry Labs II
PHY-1280: Physics I Lab
PHY-1290: Physics II Lab
Does tesu allow people to take the labs without taking the course at the same time? Most schools don't allow you to separate them.
Yes, they do... Just like the community colleges, you'll have to find a school that offers the lab class, if you can't find one, then TESU's your best bet.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
That's interesting. Never occurred to me one could take the labs alone at TESU. Figured one would have to combo class + lab from elsewhere. Nice if they're still allowing that!
FYI - It is known that UMPI requires the course and the lab to be from the same source. (Although I realize this thread is specific to TESU, sometimes those details get lost)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • ss20ts
TESU historically doesn't care. I did my physics courses at SDC, one lab at Straighterline, and the other lab at TESU. They had no issue with my combination.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(08-17-2024, 10:58 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, they do... Just like the community colleges, you'll have to find a school that offers the lab class, if you can't find one, then TESU's your best bet.

What community colleges are you referring to? I've taken lab sciences at a couple of community colleges and the labs were required. You couldn't register for the course without registering for the lab. Taking the lab by itself wasn't an option. The registration system wouldn't allow it. Neither would the professors or department.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU and CLEP College Math equivalency homeschoolmom1 1 135 08-30-2024, 06:25 AM
Last Post: P226mem
Question Capstones enrollment related to their area of study AllThose299s 3 470 06-17-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 580 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How often Study.com transcript to TESU? Carnation 3 672 12-09-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Study.com Digital Marketing No Longer UL After Nov 1st LevelUP 12 1,293 12-05-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU BS Physics+Chemistry waiver jch 23 2,152 11-29-2023, 10:30 PM
  Study.com Transfer to TESU Questions Carnation 14 2,016 11-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Transfer Equivalency- BUS- 2100 at TESU dhanub 4 805 10-18-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Area of Study Course Appeal resistk 13 1,260 10-06-2023, 12:21 PM
Question my CS degree study plan: need help Felisa 33 3,496 09-10-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: davewill