Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer credit help needed - UMPI for BA in Accounting
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and hoping to get some advice. I graduated in 2019 with a BS from a local university. Not sure if it helps but before that I got my AA from a community college. The classes are my community college is on the transcript from the university since I transferred in. So I only requested the university to send official transcripts through parchment to UMPI.
I will soon be doing classes from Sophia and study to transfer in more classes the max which is 90 I think. I just wanted confirmation that all gen classes will be waived since I have a bs already? 
I attended wgu for accounting but wasn't learning as much as I thought. I did well with online learning at my local university but I found the format of the exams plus paranoia and anxiety of being proctored to not well suited for me. Anyone want to describe what the exams, essays or projects are like the upper level accounting classes?
Math doesn't come easy for me but I really want to do accounting and find it interesting. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
(12-06-2023, 10:50 AM)Sarajane Wrote: Math doesn't come easy for me but I really want to do accounting and find it interesting. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have a BS in accounting and worked in the field for years. There are no complex equations in accounting. If you can add, subtract, multiply, and divide, you can do accounting. Accounting isn't about math so much as it is about organizing data.
(12-06-2023, 10:50 AM)Sarajane Wrote: Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and hoping to get some advice. I graduated in 2019 with a BS from a local university. Not sure if it helps but before that I got my AA from a community college. The classes are my community college is on the transcript from the university since I transferred in. So I only requested the university to send official transcripts through parchment to UMPI.
I will soon be doing classes from Sophia and study to transfer in more classes the max which is 90 I think. I just wanted confirmation that all gen classes will be waived since I have a bs already? 
I attended wgu for accounting but wasn't learning as much as I thought. I did well with online learning at my local university but I found the format of the exams plus paranoia and anxiety of being proctored to not well suited for me. Anyone want to describe what the exams, essays or projects are like the upper level accounting classes?
Math doesn't come easy for me but I really want to do accounting and find it interesting. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

You need to send ALL of your transcripts to UMPI not just the one for your bachelor's degree. You'll be waived from the GEC if you graduated from an RA college in the US. You can transfer in 500 credits. Only 90 will apply to your degree. You'll still have to take 30 credits at UMPI as the minimum. There aren't any exams at UMPI. All of the coursework is papers, projects, PowerPoints, type of assignments.
(12-06-2023, 11:33 AM)Marcus Aurelius Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 10:50 AM)Sarajane Wrote: Math doesn't come easy for me but I really want to do accounting and find it interesting. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have a BS in accounting and worked in the field for years. There are no complex equations in accounting. If you can add, subtract, multiply, and divide, you can do accounting. Accounting isn't about math so much as it is about organizing data.
Thanks! I've seen a lot of people say this, hopefully things go well. Did you attend UMPI?

(12-06-2023, 02:43 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 10:50 AM)Sarajane Wrote: Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and hoping to get some advice. I graduated in 2019 with a BS from a local university. Not sure if it helps but before that I got my AA from a community college. The classes are my community college is on the transcript from the university since I transferred in. So I only requested the university to send official transcripts through parchment to UMPI.

You need to send ALL of your transcripts to UMPI not just the one for your bachelor's degree. You'll be waived from the GEC if you graduated from an RA college in the US. You can transfer in 500 credits. Only 90 will apply to your degree. You'll still have to take 30 credits at UMPI as the minimum. There aren't any exams at UMPI. All of the coursework is papers, projects, PowerPoints, type of assignments.
I thought so. Thanks I'll request my cc transcripts to be sent. I saw a post where someone said the transcript should be emailed or sent by Clearinghouse because UMPI doesn't accept from parchment, any truth to this? My schools only use parchment.
UMPI DOES accept transcripts from Parchment. Some colleges only use Parchment for their transcripts.

ACE credits should be on your Credly transcript.
@Sarajane, Apply and send in all your transcripts right away as you want to be sending them before the application deadline... Some people previously fell through the cracks even though they applied a month or two earlier, you need to do so ASAP and email admissions to make sure they've got everything they needed before 12/12/2023. The next session starts 1/16/2024, you want to verify you have been accepted and credits transferred in properly a week or two before that date.

Oh, one more thing, you missed the addendum and template, you've provided a very good introduction post, but it's missing some important details providing a better overall overview of your situation. With more details, we'll be able to see the full picture and provide concrete advice... Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Additional info:

Your Location: Florida, United States

Your Age: 29

What kind of degree do you want?: BA in accounting 

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 60. 30 from a community college and another 30 from a public university 

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: none yet. Currently doing some Sophia classes and will then move on to study

I'm an BA Accounting and BABA Management and Leadership double major at UMPI. This is my last semester, but I completed most of the Accounting coursework through SDC and at Central New Mexico Community College, which I am glad because it was much more robust than at UMPI. As a current UMPI Accounting student, I think that your end goal matters more than the number of courses that you have to complete at UMPI versus WGU. If you are already an accountant and just need a degree to prove what you already know, then UMPI is fine. However, if you actually want/need to learn Accounting and have a good foundation for the CPA exam or graduate school, then I'd definitely go to WGU instead. The Accounting program at WGU is very mature and has excellent CPA statistics to back it up. The Accounting program at UMPI is lackluster at best. With the recent change to Brightspace, they have revamped all YourPace courses and eliminated exams. As a result, they have shaped the Accounting courses to fit into their new vision of how they want courses to be instead of allowing the Accounting program to fit what future Accountants need to be successful in their careers and on the CPA exam.

The Accouting courses now consist of busywork milestones and long essays/projects for the Final Assessments. In most of the Accounting courses, you will have to do significant learning/research outside of the UMPI learning platform to grasp the concepts that you must write about because the BirghtSpace learning platform is so new to the professors that they haven't learned how to leverage it to facilitate learning or utilize it effectively as of yet. For example, I took both Federal Taxation I and II at CNM Community College through their CPA program. Those were difficult but awesome courses. They used WileyPlus to do the actual coursework and it was a damn good setup. I learned a lot. I'm not fond of the way UMPI sets up the coursework for the Accounting courses, especially Fed Tax. WileyPlus let's you make mistakes on the tax returns and then shows you what you missed. Then it gives you a couple of chances (usually 2-3) to correct your errors before it locks you to that grade. But then it shows you how and why you missed the errors. It just makes the whole learning experience much better imo. UMPI sets up Federal Taxation as just a few papers and some returns without much feedback. You won't learn anything unless you wholly teach it to yourself. UMPI is great for students already in the field, but I think that you will miss WGU once you fully enroll and see what you have to deal with. Don't misunderstand me, I think UMPI is great, but you need to be aware of what you are getting into before you decide to enroll.
[-] The following 1 user Likes turbotortuga's post:
  • RosJaq
@Sarajane, continue with Sophia.org and then move to Study.com if needed, just make sure to complete the max 90 credits for transfer into the degree if any of the requirements are missing. I suggest again to complete the addendum as you missed it earlier, you only have the template, while we're at it, you should create a spreadsheet with the courses you have taken and the requirements, the degree plans are on the WIKI for UMPI.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Update. My transfer report is completed
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sarajane's post:
  • indigoshuffle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Transfer credit question Educated Wombat 4 108 6 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 5 407 8 hours ago
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 496 Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit evaluation prior to enrollment Chimera 3 168 09-18-2024, 11:19 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 856 09-18-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 91,705 09-18-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: psychcs
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 15 699 09-17-2024, 09:28 PM
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 714 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UMPI English Composition I Old Guy 4 241 09-15-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: RJ77
Information UMPI Cost Increase to $1700 Per 8 Week Session Ares 0 236 09-14-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Ares