Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Third Age Education Time, or How far will you move for a Job?
Ok, ----- Just my perspective.....and introduction to the group.

So several years ago, again, I was enrolled with my very rural CC, I called to ask about when I could schedule some CLEP tests. There was a pause from the woman taking the school call, then she actually said to me from her comfortable position "You Can't Take That Money Away From This School." I was shocked and appalled at the mindset, and soon moved away due to no jobs, with insurance or pension, and I had found other options (bain4weeks).
Touchdown! Someone found a way to beat this system! and was willing to show me. God Bless Laurie's Heart! Then I found Instantcert.

I moved 8 hours from home for this job, and am glad to have it. Gotta get a degree or 2 to be more secure.
(Edited for topic.)
________
20 femas, Aleks Beginning & Intermediate Algebra, Straighterline Accounting 1 & 2. Aleks Statistics now.
62 old b&M, 2 computer classes = Basic Programming, Applications, Marketing.
PSA 121.
Popcorn - I know it's not the greatest job, but have you considered sales? I don't mean door to door B2C. I mean B2B: any product that you see being used at a company from software to capital equipment probably went through a vendor. B2B is different than B2C. People need your services and no it's not easy, but companies make purchasing decisions daily and you could be a part of that process.

I've been in B2B sales for years. Most positions will require that you live somewhere in a given geographic territory, but don't really care where as long as you can get to an airport. Even if you're far from an airport, an employer won't likely care as long as you're not making them pay them mileage to and from.

Pay is pretty good and if you can figure out how to weed out the fake sales jobs that are online, the decent ones will pay a livable base play + a decent commission plan. You have to be good at listening and very good with customers. (Yes the old stereotype of the fast-talking sales guy just doesn't cut it in B2B) You also have to be comfortable with powerpoint and presenting and making the best of what you've got. For example, a customer that wants to cancel isn't a bad customer, they're just an "opportunity to demonstrate value" lol.

Anyhow.. I know it's not most people's dream job, but there are serious perks: pay, schedule flexibility, and the freedom to work from home from anywhere within a few hours of an airport. If you want more info, I can give post more..
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
BurbuJ0512,

I have read so many of your posts, and you are a shining example for success! I truly appreciate all your words, and have saved them.
My first jobs included sales in Florida. A wise one told me, in order to do sales, you must be able to sell yourself first. One must be able to be convincing.

I love to fly. Must have job and degree before moving again.
In my first 18 years we moved 36 times.
Call me well traveled........... giggle. (edited for topic, I am blessed with too many words.)
Popcorn, I live in very rural NC so I totally relate to your story. Strange thing is I moved from the big city to here. I guess I did it backwards. I must admit that some things are much better here, but education and jobs are not! I could move back to the big city, make more money and put my kids in better schools, but then I would have to put up with more drugs, gangs and bad influences on them. The worst thing I can say about their school experience is they are both ranked very high in their respective classes and I don't think they that much smarter than the average bear, but compared to their classmates they are light years ahead. That worries me when they go off to college, they will be expected to be at the top and they may settle closer to the middle. It is amazing how the schools cater to the low performing and just leave the kids that are performing well alone. Something is wrong with this thinking, shouldn't we cultivate those that have the most potential and ability to further in school? I'm glad that you found this wonderful forum. I was in the same boat you are two years ago and I have turned the tables. Welcome and good luck with your educational journey.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Popcorn Wrote:BurbuJ0512,

I have read so many of your posts, and you are a shining example for success! I truly appreciate all your words, and have saved them.
My first jobs included sales in Florida. A wise one told me, in order to do sales, you must be able to sell yourself first. One must be able to be convincing. Mom trained me when she attended Dale Carnegie classes for broadcasting.

I love to fly. Tiny airport close, big one close enough at 2 hours. Must have job and degree before moving again.
Sadly, this is more about location. (location, location, location) and the people there have no money from a rural area.
There are NO businesses there. So, only the basics are sold at the grocery store.
This is about the real America, and maybe the real world. How does one survive when....? In my first 18 years we moved 36 times. Can't afford to give up this job.
Call me well traveled........... giggle.

Awww...thank you Popcorn. Hang in there. 36 times in 18 years? Yikes. Not easy, but I have found that people that have moved a lot typically are very personable and can adapt easily. I know you can make things work and if not, I'm sure you'll be able to find something. Lol.. don't rule out the sales option. Just stay where you're at and call large companies to sell stuff. Go visit to present when you need to. Not great but not bad either
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Marianne202,

Your words have inspired me many times. Your example is wonderful! You made perfect choices for you and yours, and backward is something we use, like paddling a canoe down the river, sometimes we need to choose another path, that is not really going back, but around a rock.

You may not realize the inspirations you have given your children, but deep down, your gift of them believing in themselves will shine very bright when challenged. If they are in the middle, they may be most comfortable for their entire lives. We may be amiss to think the schools will inspire any glowing inspiration for our children. Schools are a business, and have been/are being treated like they are not behaving just like a business. The bottom line is not being addressed/treated like there is a product.

I could easily live the rest of my life in peace without the city, and concrete. The national forest was my back yard, Wild critters and all.
Burbaja0512,

Sales is a great option. Maybe you can give me some pointers.. am all ears.

Seriously, you are a great example for determination and inspiration. See your signature? This is your example to your kids....
Popcorn Wrote:Burbaja0512,

Sales is a great option. Maybe you can give me some pointers.. am all ears.

Seriously, you are a great example for determination and inspiration. See your signature? This is your example to your kids....

Basically, it's just a matter of picking an area where you feel comfortable and looking on company websites for job openings. I would also recommend making your resume look "salesy." What I mean by that is let's say you have done customer service, but not sales. You can re-word your customer service experience to focus on how you helped clients by promoting value with the product you represented. Or, if you've ever been involved in any sort of corporate purchase, mention that you've worked with vendors and understand how both sides negotiate.

If you're already at a company, look within first to see what sales openings are available. Would someone there be willing to mentor you? I've had people approach me to ask this before. I can tell you that if I personally mentored someone for several months, I would have a hard time not hiring them eventually if they were willing to put the work in.

Of course there may be "sales support" jobs opening. These generally are not work-from-home, but you may be able to find some entry-level sales jobs that are. I have seen lead-generation jobs that pay pretty well and are home-office based.

Above all, don't be afraid to talk to people. The hardest part about sales for most people is picking up the phone or knocking on the door. If you can call up a company and ask to speak to the director of sales - AND if you can actually get through to him/her, it shows that you have what it takes, even if you don't have the experience!
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,067 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb How to make screen time useful for kids? drArret8 2 440 01-03-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 393 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,100 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
  Immigration and education level Personherebb9 7 791 10-30-2022, 03:32 PM
  Making The Right Move Is Key Kal Di 2 506 06-22-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 532 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Would you keep a part time job listed on your LinkedIn Vle045 3 787 04-26-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Move some threads to another area dfrecore 8 929 04-26-2022, 07:54 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Microsoft Education Alpha 1 628 11-05-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic