Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking my 1st Actual College Class
Well guys, I think I might have to give the forum a break. Or maybe not, who knows. I start my English Comp I class on the 28th. This will be my very first ever college class. Wish Me Luck!! :eek: I hope it's not to demanding of my time. I'm doing it online through Central Texas College. After I'm finished, I'll be transfering the credit to Excelsior. I would have taken the Excelsior writing exam but I didn't want to risk getting a low grade or not passing and bringing my GPA down. I would really appreciate any encouragement or advise on what to expect.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
I have been the worlds worst at English and I passes English 101a, 102 a, 104b(89.7%) If I can do it, anyone can. I don't know your exact class but my english 102 is probably most comparable. We learned the different kinds of essays and had to write one for each in the proper format. Intro paragraph, 3 body par. and a conclusion par. It should be pretty harmless, time wise, I dont know. Mine had alot of grammar work between essays.

Good luck,

Doug
Hi Clep,

I took an English Comp I class at my local CC and liked it. It mostly focused on writing narrative essays. I am not a natural when it comes to writing, so it was very helpful to break down the writing process into stages (organizing key thoughts, thinking about who your audience is, etc.). A good deal of the class was spent on technical aspects, like paragraph structure and MLA format. The assignments included weekly essays and drafts, peer reviews, and reading assignments from published works and writing handbooks.
Hope this helps Smile
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Good Luck in your first class!
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Good luck!

I took my college level english through University of Texas online. It was fairly easy; the answers are really in front of you.

Take your time, keep organized, and pay attention to details & discussions. They can be invaluable if you do not fully understand the material. Smile Knowing how to bibliography/works cited/paraphrasing in a paper before going into any english class is helpful. (If you don't know how, the online "citation machine" is very good for MLA, not so much for APA.)

The only bad thing about online or correspondence is wait times, whether that be lazy graders who don't check their mail/e-mail or the postal service who can't seem to deliver fast enough. (but that's an entirely new discussion of cons of online courses)
Credits Racked Up.....71
Peers: (Still) Not Even Outta High School Yet.
No More CLEPs left. I've taken them all! :p
Spring 2009: Managerial Accounting, Business Cal, Statistics
Hi Clep,

I'm also taking Eng Comp 101 as my first ever college class (online) starting in Sept.. The last class I was in was over 25 years ago in HS!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Brian
BA Social Sciences TESC 2009

CLEP
Humanities 64 | Intro Sociology 74 | Intro Psychology 74 | College Mathematics 60 | H.G. & Dev. 66
A&I Literature 65 | Educational Psychology 71 | American Government 67 | US History I 67 | US History II 72
Social Sciences & History 65 | English Comp 63
DSST
Civil War 61 | Substance Abuse 463 | Intro Computing 465 | Technical Writing 66 | Anthropology 66 | Prin. of Supervision 62
Enviro & Humanity 68 | Org Behavior 67 | Astronomy 60 | Ethics 467
ECE
World Population A | Research Methods in Psychology A | Adulthood & Aging A | Gerontology A | UExcel Political Science B

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Read My Story[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"] Tested out of 120 credits in 11 months. Started with [COLOR="Blue"]0[/COLOR] credits on April 20, 2008 - Finished on March 18th 2009
[/SIZE][COLOR="Navy"][COLOR="Navy"]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="#800080"][COLOR="#4B0082"]If you've been helped by someone on this forum then help someone on this forum.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Hi guys,
First I want to thank all of you for the words of encouragement, and second, I am happy to share with you that I passed my 1st college course with a 95.6%. This took care of my Written English Requirement at Excelsior. Now I need the Info Lit. requirement which I am taking on the 6th - 9th of October at Central Texas College, and the CLEP Bio or Nat Science to finish my Associates, then it's on to the BS. I am finding that there is a lot of material to cover for the CLEP Biology.
Wish me luck!!!
And good luck to everyone else pursuing a degree.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Congratulations! And to think that you were worried. hilarious

Great job and keep up the good work. You'll do fantastic.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Purple"]Thomas Edison State College BSBA - 6/10
Excelsior College BS Liberal Arts - 9/10

Amberton MBA - 12/13 [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,930 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,769 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,934 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,038 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 347 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,348 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 624 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 448 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 762 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 297 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox