Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking Intro To Sociology :(
Hi guys, I'm planning to take Intro to Sociology CLEP but I'm extremely anxious and since I'm not a good test taker I'm afraid to mess up. I haven't been doing good with the Peterson's test which they morally took me down I score 49, 45 and 45 in the 3 tests they provide. I have read the REA book and did some IC questions. Any suggestions?
I exclusively used the online Sparknotes Sociology for this and did alright. Don't let your test taking anxiety get the worst of you, this one is easily passable. Keep studying and trying to memorize terms, a lot of it is just definitions. Look at the Sparknotes or Cliffs Notes.
lest007 Wrote:Hi guys, I'm planning to take Intro to Sociology CLEP but I'm extremely anxious and since I'm not a good test taker I'm afraid to mess up. I haven't been doing good with the Peterson's test which they morally took me down I score 49, 45 and 45 in the 3 tests they provide. I have read the REA book and did some IC questions. Any suggestions?

Okay so for sociology here are my tips, Know the people involved in sociology and any theory or experiment or books they wrote(my test was rather heavy on these), know the terms and how they apply. Pretty simple stuff, I felt my test was on the harder side for this but still managed a 55 on it. I'd review the rea book once or twice more to firm up terms.

On a side note: Don't let anxiety get to you on CLEP test, they are pass/fail and can only help you in the long run. Worst possible scenario you don't pass it. That's okay try again in three months. Also if this is your first CLEP test another tip is they are not intimidating at all. You will get questions you know right away and you **WILL** definitely get questions you haven't covered in studying. When you do don't freak out and think you don't know anything just eliminate whatever answers you can from what you do know and you can usually get it down to a 50/50 shot. The key to a CLEP test is a passing score not Acing it. Most of the CLEP tests I have taken started out with a really hard question or something I didn't study for. Don't worry about it just do the best you can on that question and move to the next one.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
I'm trying to study as hard as I can but there's a lot to memorize and I hate to memorize things. I have heard that Peterson's test are the hardest but since I got 49, 45 ,45 I'm really worried.
Go through the questions you missed on the Peterson tests. Do you have an Instantcert account? Some people on the CLEP Sociology forum have shared study guides they created. You definitely aren't ready today but there is no reason you can't be ready soon.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
I've found just creating my own flashcards on Quizlet helps me to study. I know when it comes to soical science classes the hardest part for me is remembering which theory goes with which person.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
lest007 Wrote:I'm trying to study as hard as I can but there's a lot to memorize and I hate to memorize things. I have heard that Peterson's test are the hardest but since I got 49, 45 ,45 I'm really worried.

Have you taken the Tests from REA? The online ones are awesome for studying. What did you get on them if you took them? I was hitting around 75%-80% before I went in for my test.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Keep doing the IC cards until you can get 90+%. At that point, you should be able to pass the CLEP.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Synicaal Wrote:Have you taken the Tests from REA? The online ones are awesome for studying. What did you get on them if you took them? I was hitting around 75%-80% before I went in for my test.

I wanted to test my luck and I did both test with no sociology knowledge and without reading the book and scored 52 and 48. Then I decided to read the book once.
lest007 Wrote:Hi guys, I'm planning to take Intro to Sociology CLEP but I'm extremely anxious and since I'm not a good test taker I'm afraid to mess up. I haven't been doing good with the Peterson's test which they morally took me down I score 49, 45 and 45 in the 3 tests they provide. I have read the REA book and did some IC questions. Any suggestions?

I took this last month. Stop worrying (it will do no good) and keep studying. I think I was in the low 70's on the Peterson tests and scored mid 60's on the CLEP. Read through the "exhaustive document" on the exam specific thread and take a few notes. Writing it down in your own words will help retention. Soon you will be solid on the key players, theories, and terms. Review your 5-6 pages of notes right before the exam. Eliminate the wrong answers then make your best guess. If all else fails, choose C.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 345 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Intro to Criminal Justice & Speech Communication midnite123 11 1,235 01-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: karenkresgs
  What have others used to write the Spanish letters/characters while taking ACTFL? Insert Name 3 740 06-16-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Intro to Sociology Jennr2z 8 1,330 05-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  An Investigation Finds That Millions of Students Are Taking on Dangerous BNPL Debt LevelUP 4 983 03-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  For parents of teens taking college level courses. Lacedonia4 15 2,690 10-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Last Post: BrianFallon
  Udacity Intro to Cybersecurity nanodegree Cofffeee 7 1,548 07-30-2020, 09:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Colleges that will allow taking just one course Giantzebra 22 3,711 05-08-2020, 04:31 PM
Last Post: natshar
  ASU $99 - Eng 101 anyone taking / syllabus? yokopilar 3 1,209 05-05-2020, 09:12 PM
Last Post: yokopilar
  I am now taking two online college courses with the C-19 extra time at home. Life Long Learning 8 1,797 04-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8