Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Master of Science advice/help
Soo it has most definately been a while since I have been around.  Finished a BA in Natural Science and Mathematics at tesu thanks to the wonderful information here.  Now I am trying...lol more like attempting to put together at least some kind of transfer style for courses for a MS of Science in information systems from TESU.  So far it has been kind of difficult to find places that have Graduate level courses, let alone something that might have a course equivalency for the Graduate program.  Thoughts and any help would be greatly appreciated.  Below is what I currently have to plan out and is the current degree program.  Minus one course that was removable or exception made by work experience and having A+,net+,and security+.  That course is not on the below degree plan. Ahh I remember the days of when I thought a BA was tough to plan out.  Seems the higher ya try the more scarce material gets.

Information Systems, MS (MS.IS)

Program Requirements:
1:Complete 18 semester hours in the MSAST Core as indicated.

Cost Estimation and Financial Management for Engineers and
Technologists APS-6100(Not started)
Enhancing Performance in Technology Organizations APS-6000(Not started)
Project Management for Technology APS-5100(Not started)
Technology Innovation and Commercialization APS-6010(Not started)
Managing People in Technology Based Organizations APS-6020(Not started)

2: Information Systems (15SH) (Not started):

Telecommunications and Networking MSI-5020(Not started)
Object Oriented Application Development MSI-5030(Not started)
Operating Systems MSI-5060(Not started)
Information Systems Analysis, Modeling and Design MSI-5040(Not started)
Principles of Database Design MSI-5050(Not started)

3: Masters Project (6 SH) (Not started)

Complete 6 semester hours of Masters Project in Applied Science and Technology
APS-7000
Not just scarce, impossible. Master's programs generally don't accept many transfer credits, and graduate level alt credit isn't really a thing either. Also, TESU is a kind of expensive for a graduate degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-21-2023, 05:26 PM)turtlepuff1234111 Wrote: Minus one course that was removable or exception made by work experience and having A+,net+,and security+.

You can get cyber security certifications to transfer in more than half of the MSCSIA degree at WGU:

https://partners.wgu.edu/master-of-scien...-assurance

If your Net+ and Sec+ aren't expired, then you already have the first course (2 of 34 CUs) covered. If you complete the other certs, then the remaining 16 CUs worth of WGU courses should be easy to complete in a single 6-month term for $4,500.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • jch
I'm a fan of TESU bachelor's degrees. I am NOT a fan of their master's degrees, because they are WAY too expensive - $25k for a MSIT from a no-name school? Nope. Instead, find a different place to get this degree. WGU will probably be the cheapest. But there are other options out there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
@turtlepuff1234111, Great job, good work in getting the Bachelors done! Have you searched for other degrees and institutions that may work for you? You should fill in the addendum/template to provide a bigger overview or overall scenario that you're in. I'd like more info such as your budget, commitments, dedicated time to study, timeline you want to finish, tuition assistance or reimbursement, study habits, etc. With more details and your study style, we'll know of other options that may work for you such as a MSIS/IT or Masters in Applied Computer Science. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Your Location: Texas
Your Age: over 29
What kind of degree do you want?: Masters preferably in a science.  Most of my resume is already in IT so, far sticking with IT made sense.
Current Regional Accredited Credits: TESU currently.
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: CLEPS,DSST,Straighterline,Study.com
nothing applicable though to a grad level.
Any certifications or military experience? A+,net+,sec+ good for life. I got the last of the good for life certs when they still offered them.  I did not to long ago also have the continuing education variants for compliance and updating but those have fallen away.
Budget: The cheapest option would likely be the best, although it would likely require chapter 33 benefits.  
Commitments: Between working full time, and traveling(required for work), that is the only commitments I have.
Dedicated time to study: Tough one, to dictate.  I have more than enough time generally, other times though I have to consistently make it available.
Timeline: overall time input is not an issue
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: post 9/11 8mnths left

TESU does in fact actually offer a course that can be dropped from that degree if the student is currently working in IT, and can demonstrate that they already have basically what covers the syllabus for the class.

I am currently trying to use up the last of the chapter 33 benefits that I had in order to at least somewhat get into this course.  Tesu already had my undergrad work and transcripts so the onboarding and application for the masters program was incredibly straightforward and quick.  For right now I only have I think two terms kind of lined out.  So trying to just fill in as many gaps as I can.  Saw the WGU deal, that is actually not bad.  However I kind of wanted to avoid a degree in information security.  I do actually have experience as a security analyst so that is cool, however yeah I was hoping to flush out maybe more into the management side of things or general.  My study habits are well, I study as long as it takes.  I have been traveling a lot here lately though, so things have been a little pressed for time.  Lol I was foolish and thought the pell grant was actually for graduate programs as well.  Turns out nope, undergrad only.  Did technically get the standard unsubbed loan offered but, yeah I just do not overly like the loan ideology.  I mean I get it.  But I was more doing the degree as personal fulfilment rather than out of necessity, just happens that if it works out well for me at any point in the future then that would be awesome too.  My budget is generally pretty tight.
Hmm, you missed the addendum, I was actually looking forward to reading about that area over the template... From the looks of things, you should continue with the Masters options at WGU Texas (State Endorsed), from the MBA ITM to MS ITM, there are other options in between as well such as MSCIA... Another option is PUG for their MSIT, it really depends on that overview or picture of your situation I mentioned about in the addendum...

(08-22-2023, 10:39 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, you missed the addendum, I was actually looking forward to reading about that area over the template... From the looks of things, you should continue with the Masters options at WGU Texas (State Endorsed), from the MBA ITM to MS ITM, there are other options in between as well such as MSCIA... Another option is PUG for their MSIT, it really depends on that overview or picture of your situation I mentioned about in the addendum...
My apologies, I just updated the post to include the addendum.  Thank you for the information.
(08-22-2023, 11:29 AM)turtlepuff1234111 Wrote:
(08-22-2023, 10:39 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, you missed the addendum, I was actually looking forward to reading about that area over the template... From the looks of things, you should continue with the Masters options at WGU Texas (State Endorsed), from the MBA ITM to MS ITM, there are other options in between as well such as MSCIA... Another option is PUG for their MSIT, it really depends on that overview or picture of your situation I mentioned about in the addendum...
My apologies, I just updated the post to include the addendum.  Thank you for the information.

Yes, I repeat what I mentioned earlier in my post, your first option should be WGU Texas as it's a state endorsed subsidiary... To be exact, it's an affiliate, they've expanded on that since 2011 or so.  Here's the total number of affiliates (basically they're small offices not full institutions where students attend). Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Go...University

Affiliate Year founded
WGU Indiana 2010
WGU Washington 2011
WGU Texas 2011
WGU Missouri 2013
WGU Tennessee 2013
WGU Nevada 2015
WGU North Carolina 2017
WGU Ohio 2018
WGU Idaho 2021
WGU Utah 2021
WGU Montana 2021
WGU Nebraska 2022
WGU Arizona 2023
WGU Colorado 2023

If you ever need to get an MBA/MSML, you can also look into WGU's offerings as they have concentrations in MBA ITM, if you want the MS ITM, it's slightly different, and there is always the MSCIA option as well.  Then there is HAU for an alternative MBA, PUG for the MSIT, UMPI for MAOL.  I would take some time to decide which way you want to go...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 5 365 Today, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 9 134 Today, 12:13 AM
Last Post: starsfan33
  Tamuc & WGU planning advice onward25 10 207 Yesterday, 11:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 10 290 Yesterday, 10:56 PM
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 258 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  TESU BA PSY xBless 10 462 09-18-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: allvia
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 554 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  TESU BA Math and CS Degree Planning thornytumbleweed 9 416 09-13-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 11 1,193 09-08-2024, 11:45 PM
  DSST testing advice (for beginner) audpants 2 193 08-26-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: davewill