Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Successful people with lowly beginnings
Thomas Edison:
Thomas Edison

Born in 1847, Thomas Edison was a brilliant scientist and inventor. He was thrown out of school when he was 12 because he was thought to be dumb. He was noted to be terrible at mathematics, unable to focus, and had difficulty with words and speech. It was very clear, however, that Thomas Edison was an extremely intelligent student despite his poor performance in school.

In the late 1860s and early 1870s electrical science was still in its infancy and Thomas Edison was keeping abreast of the latest developments. He was an avid reader of the latest research of the day and frequently contributed articles about new ideas in telegraph design to technical journals. Over the course of his career Edison patented 1,093 inventions. Edison believed in hard work, sometimes working twenty hours a day. He has been quoted as saying, "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration."

Hard work and perseverance helped Thomas Edison focus his keen insight and creative abilities on the development of ingenious tools that have laid the foundation for our modern society.

From a dislexia site: Famous people with Dyslexia
Who was this man?

This man failed in his first attempt to become a state legislator. This man had a failed business. He failed in his first attempt become a congressman. Later he failed in his first bid for Vice President. Who was this man? None other than… Abraham Lincoln.
Now we're talkin! Thanks P00057870, although I must point out that Edison was not so much a great inventor, but a great businessman and promoter who exploited the inventions and innovations of people like Nikola Tesla. Maybe morally questionable, but look who got remembered!

I'll just post this for laughs...I just took the practice Census test after having a couple of beers. I missed two questions, got the correct answers on 3 other questions but somehow wrote down the wrong letter anyway, and on one question I inexplicably answered "8", which is of course not a letter of the alphabet nor did any of the answer choices involve numbers. :confused:

The moral is, beer before tests equals fail. Or a low pass, I'm not sure what the cut score is for this one. :p
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
The real census test is almost identical to the practice one online I took. It's nearly word for word the exact test.

Also, the lady who gave me my test said I would be able to resume my unemployment benefits after my census work was done, so it should buy me some time to find a permanent job, although I am going to call and confirm this for myself.

They are really looking for people, so if anyone wants to pick up some extra cash--they do need people who can visit places after business hours, so it wouldn't have to interfere with your day schedule, either. High population density areas can pay around $15/hr, but mine is lower than that, $12.25/hr. and $0.55 per mile reimbursed.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
This is one of the few classes I can test out of. Any advise?
He started as a person who drove around all of the area outside his city. He knocked on doors and did a good job. He kept getting promoted and he ended up with a job that lasted about 2 years and he became a supervisor. He was already retired from the service and retired from teaching, so he wasn't looking for a permanent position, but it was offered.
So go become a census worker and work your way up and get offered a $100K permanent job.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  16 People Who Thought They Knew Better Than Their Doctors bjcheung77 1 295 07-23-2024, 04:10 AM
Last Post: degreeholdeer
  "For the People, For the Country: Patrick Henry’s Final Political Battle." Charles Fout 1 315 05-10-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why I’m Leaving New York City. More than half a million people left New York in 2022 LevelUP 25 1,614 04-18-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 563 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Video Tetris: A Modern Movie That Shows the How People Had to Live in the Soviet Union. LevelUP 1 791 04-10-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Why Do People Get So Crazy on Political Forums, According to AI? LevelUP 3 1,026 11-04-2022, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Kire
  The Government Is Literally Stealing People’s Homes! LevelUP 1 872 07-26-2022, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 2,216 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  House Hacking: How Financially Savvy People Live in Expensive Markets LevelUP 4 986 03-05-2022, 02:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked Truck Driver Gets 110yr Prison Sentence for an Accident & 3m People Sign Petition LevelUP 11 2,456 12-19-2021, 04:01 PM
Last Post: freeloader