Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Student punished for using AI
https://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-sue-sc...=114819025

I wonder how the school knew he used AI. ChatGPT will answer the same question in different ways due to its algorithm to provide unique answers. In my last degree program I had to do peer reviews, and I was certain that some were written using AI. I pasted the text to ChatGPT and asked if those were written by AI, and it gave the same answer, "it was written by someone with advanced writing skills, or had help from AI". That's not proof.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ifomonay's post:
  • bluebooger
Because AI is not written how each person speaks. You speak and write very similar. Another secret is if words are included well above their grade level. Read AI text and then something written by a person. They're not worded the same. As dry as academia writing can be, it follows a formula. When you read journal articles you'll see many similarities.
The article is written from the student's and parent's point of view. I found myself wondering whether the student told his parents the truth or if he actually did use AI written material directly in his paper. Also, it would have been so easy for a few sentences or a paragraph to have found their way into his paper when he was writing it.

It does seem odd that they would throw the book at the kid, if it were an innocent mistake or a grey area in the rules.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Quote:A copy of the school's handbook reviewed by ABC News states that "unauthorized use of technology, including Artificial Intelligence" may be deemed an act of cheating or plagiarism ...

do you really need more than this to know you shouldn't be using AI ?

sure, ABC also finished that with ", but does not go into further detail about how it may or may not be used."

but do they really need to ?
it literally says "may be deemed an act of cheating or plagiarism"

that should be enough
if that is not clear to the student then the student isn't qualified to be admitted into an elite university

this reminds me of the lawyer of last year who used chatgpt to research a case for him
the AI MADE UP a bunch of cases as references
the lawyer didn't check and included the made up cases in his filing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58cla_SWZxs
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • ss20ts
Honestly, to be honest, if we're keeping it real, these students are no angels—more than half of college students admit to cheating.
https://academicintegrity.org/resources/...statistics
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • fmsoa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 5,545 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 949 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 721 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,399 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 569 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 916 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Student Loan Forgiveness dodek101 31 4,699 07-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 908 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  $347,000 in student debt who can't land a job... bjcheung77 12 2,010 07-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
Rainbow Compiled List of Student Discounts jsd 0 687 05-11-2022, 09:57 AM
Last Post: jsd