Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Struggling with Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
I know the common thought on these forums is that Analyzing and Interpreting Literature is the easiest CLEP test, and from what I have read, most do well with out studying.

I am the complete opposite. I have no problems in Math, Science, and History topics, but when it comes to Poetry I am at a complete lost.

I've read through the REA CLEP book, and did the practice tests. I got a 13! I've faired better using the flash cards here, but still not fantastic.
Take the poem An Ode to a Grecian Urn, by John Keats.
I have no clue what is being discussed. I've read through the poem at least a dozen times and can't make heads or tails from it.

Any suggestions?

Just keep pounding away at it?

give up and just take a class?

This topic, (and English) are why I have not gotten a degree in the decade after highschool.
Hey, Keep doing the flashcards! I had some issues when I first started to study for it as well. After a little bit of effort it got easier. Be prepared when you take the exam that you will be pushed for time. The test can be beat! Its all relative about what is the easiest clep. It's different for everybody. Good luck!
Bachelors in Liberal Studies TESC 12/11/15

Various certifications and 1 community college class

TESC English 101
TESC Living in the Information age
TESC Intro to Psychology
TESC Intro to Computers

DSST Personal Finance 1/14
DSST Hear's to your health 3/14
DSST Intro to Business 4/14
DSST Organization Behavior 5/14
DSST Substance Abuse 5/14
DSST Intro to World Religion 6/14
DSST Environment and Humanity 7/14
DSST Human Resource Management 8/14
DSST Money & Banking 8/14
CLEP A&I Lit 8/14
CLEP Intro to Sociology 9/14
DSST Intro to Modern Middle East 12/14
DSST Western Europe since 1945 12/14
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra 2/15
ALEKS College Algebra 2/15
ALEKS Intro to stats 2/15
ALEKS PreCalc 2/15
CLEP History of US I 3/15
CLEP History of US II 4/15
CLEP American Gov 5/15
DSST Principles of Sup 5/15
CLEP Amer Lit 6/15
CLEP Social Science 7/15
CLEP Human growth Dev 8/15
CLEP College Comp 9/15
CLEP Humanities 9/15
TESC Capstone 10/15
Togas Wrote:I know the common thought on these forums is that Analyzing and Interpreting Literature is the easiest CLEP test, and from what I have read, most do well with out studying.

I am the complete opposite. I have no problems in Math, Science, and History topics, but when it comes to Poetry I am at a complete lost.

I've read through the REA CLEP book, and did the practice tests. I got a 13! I've faired better using the flash cards here, but still not fantastic.
I have no clue what is being discussed. I've read through the poem at least a dozen times and can't make heads or tails from it.

Any suggestions?

This topic, (and English) are why I have not gotten a degree in the decade after highschool.

If you're really having that much trouble with it, then I would suggest studying for another test. You said that you're good with history, so maybe do the English Lit. CLEP. That one is a lot of memorizing, not exactly "history" history, but it's sort of like it. American Lit. CLEP is another one like that. But How long have you been studying for the A&I test?
I've been studying for roughly a week or so with flash cards. The REA book, perhaps 2 weeks?

If I were to switch to American Literature, it would be more in line in how I operate?

I'm assuming that I would need to find a list of poetry and memorize authors and such?

Thank you for the reply Smile
My advice is to look at the REA book ANSWERS. You read through the question, pick your answer, and immediately go to the answers in the back. The answers actually help understand the reasoning behind the answer. That's how I did it and I scored very well.

Togas Wrote:I know the common thought on these forums is that Analyzing and Interpreting Literature is the easiest CLEP test, and from what I have read, most do well with out studying.

Any suggestions?

Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

[-] The following 1 user Likes GoodYellowDogs's post:
  • Zippadeedoodah
GoodYellowDogs Wrote:My advice is to look at the REA book ANSWERS. You read through the question, pick your answer, and immediately go to the answers in the back. The answers actually help understand the reasoning behind the answer. That's how I did it and I scored very well.

I'll go at it again.
I was using the REA online access, that came with the book. Saw my scores and my heart just dropped.
You may want to look at another test or take a class in this. It can be a difficult topic to self-teach if you don't know how to interpret it. Most people once it "clicks" they have it, but I know I originally learned it while in school with the help of teachers.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS

Any suggestions?

I love classical literature...I spent years on my own studying and reading classical literature for fun...I fully intended to start my degree journey by taking take the A & I CLEP...I too purchased the A & I REA Guide and was at a complete and total loss. I could not for the life of me successfully analyze ANYTHING!:ack: Memorization is my strength, so I dropped literature completely and switched over to psychology (a topic I had no experience with but thought better suited my learning style).

Fast forward one year - I really wanted literature credits, heard American Lit was more memorization/less analysis, so I began there. I put myself through a brutal total immersion program of AM Lit, and was successful...This gave me the confidence to once again try and tackle A & I...

People say you cannot learn to analyze...I respectfully disagree...Big Grin I did it by Googling every selection from the REA Guide, CLEP Guide, and Peterson's Practice Exams along with the term "analysis" - there are many, many sites containing every literary selection imaginable plus a complete explanation of that piece. As I read a poem/story/book analysis, the light dawned, and I slowly learned HOW to analyze...

Here's are two examples with the selection you mentioned, "Ode on a Grecian Urn"

SparkNotes: Keats

http://study.com/academy/lesson/ode-on-a...mmary.html

There were no IC literature flashcards when I took the A & I exam, but I used the above mentioned resources, plus Norton's Lit Guides, Poetry for Dummies, Shakespeare for Dummies, etc. I practiced for about a month after my Am Lit Clep and was happily successful...(And I still claim I have no natural aptitude for analysis)...

Hope this helps...Good Luck! Confusedeeya:
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
Welcome to the forum.
Since you have joined IC have you checked out the specific exam feedback section for ideas on studying for this exam?
Have you tried the Peterson practice test? If you not only check the correctness of answers but read the explanations it can help.
Don't let this get you down, all of us have our weaknesses, but we can still meet our goals and obtain our degree if we persevere.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
What school are you attending? You may be able to earn alternate humanities credit, for example technical writing and/or business communications may be more in line with the way your brain functions.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From struggling academically to earning a Ph.D bjcheung77 0 382 05-22-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  edX sale to 2U leaves both sides struggling smartdegree 7 1,129 01-25-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: jsd
  From 3 Struggling Public Colleges, a New University Emerges LevelUP 2 851 08-24-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: allvia
  "Chinese Literature in Translation-Poetry" at BYU-IS still available pws 2 1,198 12-04-2019, 05:07 AM
Last Post: pws
  Non-Western Literature - New course from study.com nosey561 0 1,060 09-19-2019, 07:23 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Struggling- TECEP SOC-210 Staceys88 1 1,184 03-06-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: sheptr
  English Literature CLEP , Any experiences 2L8 3 2,163 10-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Dewm
  CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit ConqueringCollege 7 2,092 10-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: alexf.1990
  A&I Literature CLEP Essay brodie 3 1,687 09-07-2018, 10:57 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Analyzing & Interpreting Literature CLEP AwardTour 2 1,515 07-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Last Post: AwardTour