Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spy cams for distance-learning students?
Check out this article in The Chronicle of Higher Education:

New Systems Keep a Close Eye on Online Students at Home - Chronicle.com

Can anybody find the actual text of the legislation? I'm not having much luck with the THOMAS database. I don't think there's any need to panic about this, but there may be implications for such things as FEMA credits, and judging by John Ebersole's comments in the article, there may be general implications as to flexibility and cost.

-Gary-
Clamping down on cheating will always create hassles for honest students and never stop dishonest students. If they can't verify the identity of people taking traditional classes do they really think they can do so with long distance students with fingerprints? LOL How many times has anyone ever had their ID checked when they took a test in a classroom? I never have. How about ghostwritten term papers turned in in a real classroom? There will always be cheating and the powers that be will always try to scare students away from cheating, but there's never going to be a way to stop students from getting away with it. Either you cheat or you don't. That's a decision you and only you make.
I have 18 traditional credits and 51 exam credits. I've passed Introductory Sociology 76, Introductory Psychology 68, A&I Literature 66, Principles of Marketing 76, Introductory Business Law 71, Social Sciences & History 67, DSST Drug & Alcohol Abuse 450, Biology 69, Principles of Management 70, Natural Sciences 64, Intro to Business DSST 70, Principles of Macroeconomics 67, Principles of Microeconomics 58.
From what it sounds like, none of that may actually be required by the department of education. However, if anything from that article actually becomes reality, it is going to a pretty big deal. Besides the obvious costs, having to install some spy software or device is unacceptable. I would assume something like this would take a couple years minimum to implement everywhere though, so hopefully most of us are finished by then.
[SIZE="1"]Passed CLEPs

Introductory Sociology, Information Systems and Computer Applications, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Introductory Psychology, Human Growth and Development, Introductory Business Law[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]
Passed DSSTs

Management Information Systems, Introduction to Computing, Principles of Supervision, Human Resource Management, Introduction to Business, Organizational Behavior, Principles of Financial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Foundations of Education, Fundamentals of Counseling, Business Law II, Environment and Humanity[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]
Passed ECEs

Ethics: Theory & Practice, Human Resource Management[/SIZE]
There have GOT to be better ways to validate student honesty than spy cams and biometrics. I would rather occasionally have to turn in a paper or do an in-person presentation than resort to either of these sorts of gadgets.
at AJU, they don't have proctored exams per say, but watch you the entire time you are testing via webcam
I use a laptop and move from room to room, wherever I can find privacy and quiet. On more than one occasion my wife has interrupted me while taking a quiz or test to ask a question. Someone is going to record that and then listen to it? Sounds like an invasion of privacy.
TESC - BSBA - Computer Information Systems
S.H. Required – 120
S.H. Applied – 109.3
S.H. Remaining – 10.7

Transferred Credits
Winona St. University – 9.3
Kean College – 37
Chubb Institute – 16

TESC Taken
Eng Comp I (OL) – A
Eng Comp II (TECEP) – Pass
Bus. Law (OL) – A
Quant. Business Analysis (OL) – A
Business Letter & Report Writing I (PLA) - Pass
Int. to Photography (OL) - B+ :ack:
Statistics (OL) - A
Business in Soc. (PLA) - Pass
Database Mgmt (OL) - A
File Mgmt (PLA) - Pass

TESC Planned
Principles of Managerial Accounting (OL) – May '10
Business Policy (OL) – Jan '11

CLEP/DSST Exams
Principles of Marketing – 76
Principles of Management – Aug '10
Microeconomics - 63

Penn Foster
Structured Systems Analysis – July ‘08 - A
System Design - July '08 - A
Principles of Finance (OL) – June '10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Distance Learning Systems Indiana nomaduser 0 159 09-29-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: nomaduser
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 216 39,239 08-04-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  SARA Source - catalog of distance education programs stats-time 3 456 08-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,428 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  IBM Machine Learning Professional Certificate Nukeme3 4 553 07-08-2024, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Nukeme3
  A new program in Colorado recognizes students who didn’t complete their bachelor’s de davewill 4 750 07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Older teacher gets the students! bjcheung77 2 351 06-21-2024, 11:47 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Prior Learning Art Portfolio Assessment 3ichael7ambert 18 991 05-31-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: davewill
  UK students invading US institutions! And more... bjcheung77 1 332 05-20-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 1,088 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill