Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we always mention the campus?
Are we always supposed to include the name of the campus in our Linkedin / resume for US´ universities?

I just saw a BS from the U. of Maryland Global Campus, writing that he has a BS from the U. of Maryland. Is that okay?

If I get my MBA from UMass Global, I´m always expected to mention Global Campus, right?

(In Peru we also have universities with multiples campus at different cities, but it doesn´t matter in which one you studied)
IIRC, for those schools, the "global campus" is a separate school (possibly with its own accreditation). It's not just another campus.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Charles Fout, MrPanda
In general, it's a bad idea to do anything on a resume intended to mislead someone. Do people get away with these things? Yeah, they often do. However, there have been plenty of people who get caught out as well.

Also, here in the U.S. people do expect to see the campus. University of California, Berkeley and University of California, Riverside are different institutions and have very different reputations. That goes for most other state school systems as well.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • Charles Fout, MrPanda
(06-28-2023, 04:23 PM)MrPanda Wrote: Are we always supposed to include the name of the campus in our Linkedin / resume for US´ universities?

I just saw a BS from the U. of Maryland Global Campus, writing that he has a BS from the U. of Maryland. Is that okay?

If I get my MBA from UMass Global, I´m always expected to mention Global Campus, right?

(In Peru we also have universities with multiples campus at different cities, but it doesn´t matter in which one you studied)

1) You should have the campus in, such as this example University of Texas - Austin.
2) No, It dishonest and confuses people by leaving the 'Global' out of the equation.
3) Yes, you should list it from where you got it, University of Mass... and include Global.
Depending on the country, their requirements are different, I would stick with the recommended way.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Charles Fout, MrPanda
(06-28-2023, 04:23 PM)MrPanda Wrote: Are we always supposed to include the name of the campus in our Linkedin / resume for US´ universities?

UMass Global is NOT UMass. UMass is in Amherst, Massachusetts. UMass Global is in California. Totally NOT the same school. The campus/city is the actual school you attend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • MrPanda
A campus is usually a location of a college or university (the global campus schools are causing confusion). It's typically not a separate institution; it's an additional location for one institution. Within university systems, there are multiple independent institutions. You can't leave the location or any other designator off the end of the name because it is a part of the name. It's not optional because it's not a campus. When you leave off the city, which is an official part of the name not a campus location, people will think you're talking about the flagship.

Examples:

Texas A&M = Texas A&M, College Station (flagship of the Texas A&M university system)

Texas A&M, Commerce /= Texas A&M or Texas A&M, College Station - Texas A&M, Commerce is an independent, separately accredited institution. Therefore, you have to include "Commerce" in the name.

Texas A&M, Commerce - Dallas Campus = Texas A&M, Commerce

Texas A&M, College Station - Dallas Regional Campus = Texas A&M, College Station

In the last two examples, you don't have to include "Dallas" because that's just a campus, not a separate institution. I hope I didn't confuse anyone. LOL.

University of Maryland Global Campus is an independent university. Washington State University Global Campus is just the online division for Washington State University, so you can leave off "Global Campus."

In my opinion, it's fine if an independent university wants to call themselves "Global," but they should leave "Campus" out of their name. It makes prospective students believe that they're attending an online division of the flagship.

To cause further confusion, your city can have its own university and a campus from another university within the same system.

University of Texas at Austin = University of Texas - It's located in Austin, TX.
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - Austin Campus is not University of Texas at Austin. It's University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, which has its main campus in Houston. Austin is an extension campus.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 4 users Like sanantone's post:
  • fromthedepths, Ideas, Jonathan Whatley, RachelB
In a lot of cases, the university systems themselves are the source of the confusion. A lot of them "sell" to students the idea of getting a "university of X" degree, seemingly from the main campus. For example, campuses in the Indiana University system sell the idea that all their campuses offer "Indiana University" degrees and it's all the same - everyone becomes an Indiana University grad. Same thing with Penn State and University of Michigan systems - their branch campus brochures highlight to prospective students that they are getting a prestigious "Penn State degree" or "University of Michigan degree", which is legally true but would be considered lying if they did so on a resume. Let's not even get started with Harvard Extension...
(06-28-2023, 09:36 PM)smartdegree Wrote: In a lot of cases, the university systems themselves are the source of the confusion.  A lot of them "sell" to students the idea of getting a "university of X" degree, seemingly from the main campus.  For example, campuses in the Indiana University system sell the idea that all their campuses offer "Indiana University" degrees and it's all the same - everyone becomes an Indiana University grad.  Same thing with Penn State and University of Michigan systems - their branch campus brochures highlight to prospective students that they are getting a prestigious "Penn State degree" or "University of Michigan degree", which is legally true but would be considered lying if they did so on a resume.  Let's not even get started with Harvard Extension...

not to mention all kinds of online degrees,  global/world campuses with distinct operation models.
(06-28-2023, 09:36 PM)smartdegree Wrote: In a lot of cases, the university systems themselves are the source of the confusion.  A lot of them "sell" to students the idea of getting a "university of X" degree, seemingly from the main campus.  For example, campuses in the Indiana University system sell the idea that all their campuses offer "Indiana University" degrees and it's all the same - everyone becomes an Indiana University grad.  Same thing with Penn State and University of Michigan systems - their branch campus brochures highlight to prospective students that they are getting a prestigious "Penn State degree" or "University of Michigan degree", which is legally true but would be considered lying if they did so on a resume.  Let's not even get started with Harvard Extension...

I grew up near Penn State Behrend.  I was accepted but ended up choosing a different school.  Everyone in the local area refers to the local campus as “Penn State Behrend” or simply “Behrend”.  The hope was that you go to Behrend with the eventual goal of transferring to “State College” (aka the main campus), then you could get that more prestigious degree.  Those who happened to stay at Behrend would always list “Penn State - Behrend”.  In the local area, there is no stigma connected to the Behrend campus.  As for their Global Campus, for Penn State, it is not a completely separate entity. It’s the online versions of their courses which they’ve had for quite some time.  The down side is that the online school is expensive by comparison with other online options.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
(06-29-2023, 08:48 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I grew up near Penn State Behrend.  I was accepted but ended up choosing a different school.  Everyone in the local area refers to the local campus as “Penn State Behrend” or simply “Behrend”.  The hope was that you go to Behrend with the eventual goal of transferring to “State College” (aka the main campus), then you could get that more prestigious degree.  Those who happened to stay at Behrend would always list “Penn State - Behrend”.  In the local area, there is no stigma connected to the Behrend campus.  As for their Global Campus, for Penn State, it is not a completely separate entity. It’s the online versions of their courses which they’ve had for quite some time.  The down side is that the online school is expensive by comparison with other online options.

Interesting viewpoint, I appreciate your thoughts.  What do you think of this statement on Behrend's website?  Is this not misleading / misrepresentation?  

https://behrend.psu.edu/about-the-colleg...best-value

"Power of Penn State
As a Behrend student, you’ll earn a degree from a University that’s in the top 100 worldwide, according to 2022 QS World University rankings. And if you pursue an Engineering degree at Behrend, you’ll study in an undergraduate program ranked in the top 40 in the country.

After you graduate, you’ll become part of one of the country’s largest alumni networks. Penn State is a name that opens doors—anywhere you go."

The world-ranked school is NOT behrend, it's the main campus.  But Behrend "sells" it like you get a degree from the main campus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,705 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Bridging the Campus Divide With ‘Dangerous Ideas’ and AI Debate Moderators LevelUP 1 252 07-19-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Unity Environmental University explores campus sale amid online pivot bjcheung77 1 729 08-04-2023, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Villanova to take over campus as Cabrini University closes... bjcheung77 0 451 07-01-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Modern States: Mention of TESU+WGU (DF member?) bjcheung77 2 1,092 10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  Have big pockets? For sale: Former Urbana University campus bjcheung77 4 1,103 08-05-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Any experience with Washington State University's Global Campus? greencouch 12 5,288 08-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Last Post: greencouch
  Met with some banking HR people on campus today. videogamesrock 22 2,239 04-28-2015, 10:30 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  New Penn State World Campus Masters Degree islandcoli 9 1,493 02-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  does anyone know if PSU world campus accepts ALEKS? Ah1017 1 595 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Last Post: rebel100