Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self-paced online college without essay?
Like the title says...

Currently I have 95 college credits, a lot from sophia.org, and some from community college and UMPI.

The problem with UMPI is that basically everything is written essays and I strongly prefer multiple choice exams for the simple fact that I am just not a good writer.
So I was wondering if anyone knew of an accredited online college/university that accepts transfer credits and is mostly tests with questions? 

I understand that it is impossible to avoid essays altogether, but for an English class that is understandable, not so much for a business class, which is my major. (Business Admin) 

Also I know about WGU, but I would like to know if there was somewhere that exists that I can take classes at my own pace, and without exams being proctored which would only slow me down.

Thank you!
Suck it up. UMPI is one of the easiest schools I have gone to. If you are looking for a college degree to be entirely check-the-box multiple choice exams, you are being delusional.

If a business class isn't a paper, it will be a presentation or group project. Few business classes are entirely low-effort multiple choices tests.

Very few people are born "good writers". You take your licks from feedback and get better.
[-] The following 3 users Like Duneranger's post:
  • fmsoa, GoBroncos95, ss20ts
(08-02-2024, 04:23 PM)Nickinspace Wrote: Like the title says...

Currently I have 95 college credits, a lot from sophia.org, and some from community college and UMPI.

The problem with UMPI is that basically everything is written essays and I strongly prefer multiple choice exams for the simple fact that I am just not a good writer.
So I was wondering if anyone knew of an accredited online college/university that accepts transfer credits and is mostly tests with questions? 

I understand that it is impossible to avoid essays altogether, but for an English class that is understandable, not so much for a business class, which is my major. (Business Admin) 

Also I know about WGU, but I would like to know if there was somewhere that exists that I can take classes at my own pace, and without exams being proctored which would only slow me down.

Thank you!
There's nothing like that. They wouldn't be able to get accredited.

The good thing is, the more you have to write essays the better you get at it. I see that you are studying business administration, which makes me think you would be interested in becoming a manager if you aren't already. Writing is an extremely important skill in business administration. If you don't practice writing, you are limiting your chances of promotion. Who knows? Maybe you work for an unusual company that does not require good writing skills of its managers and higher-ups, and that's why you don't feel the need to work on it. But if you ever want to switch companies, you will be glad that you worked on improving that skill.

(Also, writing helps develop critical thinking skills, which are needed by any manager even if they aren't writing much in their jobs. When you are faced with a tough decision at work, nobody is going to give you a multiple choice list to select from.)
[-] The following 3 users Like wow's post:
  • fmsoa, Pikachu, ss20ts
(08-02-2024, 04:53 PM)wow Wrote:

Thank you!
There's nothing like that. They wouldn't be able to get accredited.

The good thing is, the more you have to write essays the better you get at it. I see that you are studying business administration, which makes me think you would be interested in becoming a manager if you aren't already. Writing is an extremely important skill in business administration. If you don't practice writing, you are limiting your chances of promotion. Who knows? Maybe you work for an unusual company that does not require good writing skills of its managers and higher-ups, and that's why you don't feel the need to work on it. But if you ever want to switch companies, you will be glad that you worked on improving that skill.

(Also, writing helps develop critical thinking skills, which are needed by any manager even if they aren't writing much in their jobs. When you are faced with a tough decision at work, nobody is going to give you a multiple choice list to select from.)
I am in healthcare (clinical) but have had many non-clinical managers who were awful at writing and dissemination. I never took them seriously nor did I think of them as leaders. They had no say in what or how we did things due to their awful communication skills. They probably took all multiple-choice tests for their degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • ss20ts
You can do some Coursera certificates which are all multiple choice and transfer them into Thomas Edison State University to try to knock out some courses to minimize the writing.

Follow certificates give college credit at TESU:
Google Data Analytics
Google digital marketing & E commerces
Google IT support professional
Google Project Management Professional certificate
Google UX design
IBM Cyber Security analyst
SAS Programmer Professional Certificate

You can apply these credits to a bachelors in liberal studies maybe and just have to do the capstone which is writing but it’s better than taking so many classes you have to do papers for.
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/liberal-s...lsrc=aw.ds

There is also an all multiple choice MBA in the U.K. as mentioned by another member. 
https://www.hw.ac.uk/online/postgraduate...ration.htm
They offer a 9 course MBA by exam and it can be done in a year or shorter, it's entirely online, non proctored, open book exams, plus you can use the internet. I would get the general bachelors degree in liberal studies from TESU and apply for that MBA since it looks like the program is what you are looking for. 
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...G-Cert-DBA
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
[-] The following 1 user Likes newdegree's post:
  • RachelB
(08-02-2024, 05:57 PM)newdegree Wrote: You can do some Coursera certificates which are all multiple choice and transfer them into Thomas Edison State University to try to knock out some courses to minimize the writing.

Google Data Analytics
Google UX design

You can apply these credits to a bachelors in liberal studies maybe and just have to do the capstone which is writing but it’s better than taking so many classes you have to do papers for.

There is also an all multiple choice MBA in the U.K. as mentioned by another member. 
They offer a 9 course MBA by exam and it can be done in a year or shorter, it's entirely online, non proctored, open book exams, plus you can use the internet. I would get the general bachelors degree in liberal studies from TESU and apply for that MBA since it looks like the program is what you are looking for. 
That's honestly pathetic. Anyone can Ctrl-F a MBA degree.  Wow, truly "mastered" the concept of business for sure....

A grad degree isn't about regurgitating simple information. Open note/book and no proctor makes it even worse...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-02-2024, 10:57 PM)Duneranger Wrote:
(08-02-2024, 05:57 PM)newdegree Wrote: You can do some Coursera certificates which are all multiple choice and transfer them into Thomas Edison State University to try to knock out some courses to minimize the writing.

Google Data Analytics
Google UX design

That's honestly pathetic. Anyone can Ctrl-F a MBA degree.  Wow, truly "mastered" the concept of business for sure....

A grad degree isn't about regurgitating simple information. Open note/book and no proctor makes it even worse...
I am just the messenger, I didn’t find the program nor do I create the curriculum for the program… I suggested a program that fit the description of what he was looking for. Every program is different and some MBA programs are more rigorous than others.
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15

Thank you!

As others have said, you're not going to be able to get away from writing all together. However, UMPI is known for less demanding papers (shorter) and it has no capstone (which tend to involve long exacting papers). UMPI also has an option for you to submit a draft for review before you submit for your final - this is not only recommended for all students, but it is one of its best features for students who feel writing is a challenge.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I've never seen anyone claim that the Heriot Watt master's degree exams are multiple choice. Since they are open book and reported to be quite difficult, I would assume that they are written exams, which would mean that the test taker would need to know how to communicate through writing and preferably be comfortable with it, since they only have a limited time to complete the test.

I think that would make HW exactly the kind of school the op would *not* want to attend.
(08-03-2024, 09:24 AM)wow Wrote: I've never seen anyone claim that the Heriot Watt master's degree exams are multiple choice. Since they are open book and reported to be quite difficult, I would assume that they are written exams, which would mean that the test taker would need to know how to communicate through writing and preferably be comfortable with it, since they only have a limited time to complete the test.

I think that would make HW exactly the kind of school the op would *not* want to attend.

Yeah I thought t hi a was weird. I went to school in Edinburgh and HW has a decent rep. I’d be surprised if this was the case.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AACSB Certified Online Business School? Trich1996 15 676 10-09-2024, 11:28 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,921 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 820 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 200 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,034 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,878 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 540 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,858 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 9,252 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 2,066 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM