Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNHU new gen ed requirements
(08-10-2023, 07:13 AM)LevelUP Wrote: These SNHU advisors have gone rogue.  I don't know what to say. 

You should be focused on the most efficient way to get from point A to point B. "A more comprehensive experience" for GE credits? Give me a break.

Sophia's courses are going to be by far quicker to get these courses done than SNHU. If you take bjcheung77's advice and do courses that will meet GE for most CS programs, then I suggest doing these courses first:

Art History I
Introduction to Nutrition
US History II
English Composition I

Appreciate the advice. I actually just finished Art History I, it was surprisingly easy. The Wiki has been very helpful as well. Such a great resource base here.

(08-10-2023, 11:26 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Oh, nice! TESU admissions people can be pushy sometimes.

Are you allowed to sign up for the free TECEPs, then?

Yes, if I understood correctly, students in the upcoming September term can take 5 free TECEPs. Otherwise, the advisor couldn't confirm when the next time is that they'll be offered for free (but it sounded like they will do it again sometime in the future).

Perhaps it just luck of the draw on who I spoke to, but TESU is sounding like a much better fit for me at the moment. At least until I have a definitive answer from SNHU (my advisor says she'll get more info and give me an accurate answer next week). Will post what I hear on this thread.
I'd definitely go ahead and sign up for the TECEPs, then! Worst comes to worse, they'll be credit you can transfer to SNHU if you do decide to stay with them.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jdubley
Ok, here's a new update from another SNHU employee

Quote:SNHU employee here. We don’t get trained on Sophia (so each person has different levels of knowledge) and communication about the new program requirements has been a mixed bag.

At the end of the day it depends on many factors:

Are the credits still valid? They can go up for re-evaluation/expire. Best to check with an advisor before you start a class.

What classes are you looking to get credit for? Free electives are your safest bet. As of now we don’t have a 1:1 match for most of the new gen ed courses.

In my experience Sophia has transferred into the new gen ed program. You’ll need to do a bit of work yourself pull up your program evaluation and the academic catalog to see what classes are required then check for similar classes at Sophia.

My advice: If you have space in your free electives you can do some trial and error. Take a class or two and see where it goes. If it goes into your gen eds great! If not it’ll go into your electives so you’ll get credit either way.

Possible outcomes:
1. The employee that says you don't need exact course matches is right.
2. The employee that says needs a 1:1 match is correct.
3. GE needs 1:1 match however, they may be exceptions like before.

I looked for 1:1 matches, here's what I got for courses through Sophia or Study.com

Can't find exact course matches
CSOJ NA (SNHU 107 use to have an exception if you transfer in 12 or more credits)
CHUM NA
CSST NA (IDS-100 use to have an exception if you transfer in 12 or more credits)

Can find exact course matches
CENG 6cr
CMAT 3cr
EETH 3cr
ECCE 3cr
EHPS 3cr
ESMF 3cr
ESPE 3cr
Electives 6cr
CLME 3cr

Total: 33cr
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • jdubley, neilsf
I added another version of the GE plan for SNHU that does a 1:1 match for GE courses.

By the end of September, through student feedback, we should know how Sophia's courses come in for GE.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...ts_Roadmap
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
  • berlinerd, jdubley
(08-14-2023, 09:59 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I added another version of the GE plan for SNHU that does a 1:1 match for GE courses.

By the end of September, through student feedback, we should know how Sophia's courses come in for GE.

Thank you very much for your work of putting it together! I seems not that bad, I think... unless they do the same to major/core courses.

I wanted to ask: what does "1:1 match" mean? Does it mean equality in naming convention or in syllabus?
[-] The following 1 user Likes berlinerd's post:
  • jdubley
(08-14-2023, 04:50 PM)berlinerd Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 09:59 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I added another version of the GE plan for SNHU that does a 1:1 match for GE courses.

Thank you very much for your work of putting it together! I seems not that bad, I think... unless they do the same to major/core courses.

I wanted to ask: what does "1:1 match" mean? Does it mean equality in naming convention or in syllabus?

A 1:1 match means I'm matching the exact prefix and course number to what SNHU says is required for each GE section.

For example, in the SNHU GE section of Historical Perspectives (EHPS), there are a bunch of courses they listed that would be accepted.

However,  the only alt-credit course you could take that would be an exact match would be Study.com History 307: American Civil Rights Movement HIS254.
  • jg_nuy, neilsf
(08-09-2023, 06:22 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Things have been nuts over the past month or so with SNHU changing the GE requirements. For some reason, there are lots of rumors SNHU isn't taking any Sophia courses for GE, and some advisors aren't giving the correct info.

Quote:Hi! I work for SNHU.

I don’t know why people are being told gen Ed’s can’t transfer in from Sophia- that is 100% not true and if an advisor/admission counselor says that they’re incorrect!

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SNHU/comments/1...nd_sophia/

SNHU residency requirements:
  • 30 credits for Bachelor's Degree/15 credits for Associate Degree

• 12 credits in the major (Bachelor)

• 9 credits in the major (Associate)

• 9 credits in the minor
Since taking a course at SNHU is nearly $1000, for sure, I would transfer in 90 credits if it's possible for your degree program. Unlike WGU, you can transfer credits after taking SNHU courses. There is a long winter break where you'll be doing nothing at SNHU.

SNHU Degree Plans
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:SNHU
Hi, can you please send me the source for the SNHU residency requirements?

(08-09-2023, 08:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Even if it turns out that your advisor is wrong and the Reddit thread is right, it sounds like this is something that might take a while to work out. It might be best to avoid SNHU for a while right now because they'll probably just be annoying to deal with until everything is sorted out.
How long do you think that will take, because I wanted to start Sophia courses in October and apply to SNHU in December with minimum 30+ credits.

I'm scared of wasting my time earning credits that won't transfer and ending up taking 15 courses at SNHU

I wanted to do only 10 courses at SNHU  Sad

If SNHU become less transfer friendly, college might be off the table for me.

Before you mention TESU, UMPI or another school, I need minimum a bachelor in mathematics and these courses (graded) to get into grad school:
Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Real Analysis 1 and 2
Complex Analysis

TESU only have Linear Algebra in that list

At least SNHU have Applied Linear Algebra (I'm required to have a proof based one but this won't hurts), Abstract Algebra and Real Analysis 1, that's 3 out of 5, which is not bad.
You can always take the courses at SNHU (or elsewhere) and transfer them to TESU. TESU allows for essentially "any" math as long as you meet minimum UL/LL requirements. There are also a handful of math specific requirements, including Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Statistics.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-16-2023, 10:37 PM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: How long do you think that will take, because I wanted to start Sophia courses in October and apply to SNHU in December with minimum 30+ credits.

I'm scared of wasting my time earning credits that won't transfer and ending up taking 15 courses at SNHU

I wanted to do only 10 courses at SNHU  Sad

If SNHU become less transfer friendly, college might be off the table for me.

Before you mention TESU, UMPI or another school, I need minimum a bachelor in mathematics and these courses (graded) to get into grad school:
Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Real Analysis 1 and 2
Complex Analysis

TESU only have Linear Algebra in that list

At least SNHU have Applied Linear Algebra (I'm required to have a proof based one but this won't hurts), Abstract Algebra and Real Analysis 1, that's 3 out of 5, which is not bad.

For the SNHU Math degree plan, there are 3 open spots for Math Electives. You could take Calculus 2 (MAT251) at Straighterline for one of those spots, which probably won't fill the Calculus 2 requirement in the major since it comes in as a different course number. So you still would have to take Calculus 2 again at SNHU.

Statistics.com offers a course called Regression Analysis that comes into SNHU as MAT303, which would fill a MATH elective spot.

It's a matter of how many courses will transfer into the GE to know how many total courses you would have to do at SNHU.  I would do the GE first, transfer them in and see which everything falls.
(08-16-2023, 10:37 PM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: Before you mention TESU, UMPI or another school, I need minimum a bachelor in mathematics and these courses (graded) to get into grad school:
Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Real Analysis 1 and 2
Complex Analysis

So where are you going to find the other 2 courses for that particular grad school?  And which grad school is it?  Is there another grad school you can go to?  Why that one?

It might be helpful if you tell us your ultimate goal so we can help you find an option that you haven't thought of.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU India & International Affiliates asthewindblows 26 1,564 09-05-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  SNHU Culmination Experience- Sophia PHL-316 not accepted ecomony 12 1,119 07-29-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: ab10365
  SNHU CS Degree plan Dheerajsyz 7 656 07-22-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  International Student in SNHU FullFocus 13 1,323 07-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU IDS-105 requirement sole13 5 565 07-10-2024, 05:39 AM
Last Post: sole13
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 2,519 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 2,621 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,836 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 3,483 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,856 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore