Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNHU new gen ed requirements
Sounds like a huge headache! Sometimes it's just easier and faster to move on and change schools.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jdubley
(08-09-2023, 09:22 AM)jdubley Wrote: I haven't completed any courses so for on Sophia, but I'm currently working thru Art History 1. The person on that Reddit thread has given me the idea to take the Sophia courses and try transferring them in regardless of what my advisor says, since they may not have the correct information. I will try and keep everyone posted!

Here's the response on Reddit in case you missed it. And in case anyone on this thread wants to follow the drama  Smile

Quote:Ok so not to be a jerk to your advisor at all here, but I double checked this just now - they are wrong.

You can transfer in your gen Ed’s - I saw multiple students who were accepted to BS.CSC with almost all of their gen Ed’s transferring in from other schools/Sophia.

The Cornerstone for Social Justice DOES need to be an equivalency - but it doesn’t need to be from SNHU. You will be able to satisfy this with ENV-101 (Environmental Science) taken on Sophia.

I’m sorry you’re having this experience. Your advisors have completely incorrect information and I can understand if you’d wanna wash your hands of SNHU after this, but I can tell you based on other students evals I am looking at, accepted literally yesterday, that you can absolutely transfer in those gen Ed’s to the BS.CSC. It really bothers me that advisors are giving out information that quite frankly is out of their departments “jurisdiction”. They don’t decide what credits transfer into which section and they’re giving you straight up incorrect info, to the point where you said earlier you wanted to drop out.

I’ll be talking with my leader/director to see if we can do something about this.

(08-09-2023, 08:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Even if it turns out that your advisor is wrong and the Reddit thread is right, it sounds like this is something that might take a while to work out. It might be best to avoid SNHU for a while right now because they'll probably just be annoying to deal with until everything is sorted out.

We should start a tip jar adding $10 every time we're right and the college advisors are wrong. I wonder how much money we have in one year?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • jdubley
Here is my evaluation if anyone is interested: https://i.imgur.com/YTv9chu.png

At this point, I'll try to finish Art History 1 and perhaps US History 1 on Sophia before the start of the term and try transferring them in. If they don't fall in right, at least I could use them at another institution.

My advisor says she'll look deeper into it and will get back to me next week. I sent her the comments saying otherwise in the Reddit thread by email.

Will keep everyone updated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jdubley's post:
  • berlinerd
Ooh, the SNHU eval looks a lot like TESU!

So you transferred in a bunch of stuff but only Calc and Precalc made it to the evaluation?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jdubley
(08-09-2023, 11:16 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Ooh, the SNHU eval looks a lot like TESU!

So you transferred in a bunch of stuff but only Calc and Precalc made it to the evaluation?

Actually, I have zero transfer credits. Brand new undergrad. Only Calc and Precalc are "dictated" gen eds as the Reddit commenter has said, which makes me believe my advisor may have it wrong. 

There are no mentions of HUM-215, HIS-217, and SCS-260 in my evaluation, so how can my advisor say that STEM students require it? Sounds like nonsense to me, but what do I know...

Feels like my advisor just wants me to take more at SNHU honestly, she wrote a note under each my proposed Sophia transfers that "the SNHU course would provide a more comprehensive experience to better prepare you..."
You don't really have to 'stay' with SNHU, you just want to see how your future credits come through with alternative credit providers, create a plan that will allow your credits to seamlessly transfer to multiple institutions we recommend. WGU, TESU, both have Comp Science degrees and also take up to 90 credits or more towards their degrees... if IT or something else hits your fancy, you can add PUG, etc to the list. Create a spreadsheet, to compare, review the WIKI plans as well...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jdubley
(08-09-2023, 12:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You don't really have to 'stay' with SNHU, you just want to see how your future credits come through with alternative credit providers, create a plan that will allow your credits to seamlessly transfer to multiple institutions we recommend.  WGU, TESU, both have Comp Science degrees and also take up to 90 credits or more towards their degrees... if IT or something else hits your fancy, you can add PUG, etc to the list.  Create a spreadsheet, to compare, review the WIKI plans as well...

Great ideas, will do! Thank you.
(08-09-2023, 02:57 AM)berlinerd Wrote: I am actually thinking the same now.
I've drafted myself just the day before yesterday fantastic degree plan with SNHU's CS major with concentration in Data Analytics and minor in Applied Math...

But okay. Now I am thinking the WGU once again. The reason I was looking at SNHU is the GPA because I would love to go to Georgia Tech later and having GPA would be great...
Maybe TESU... I have to look at it once again.

*For SNHU, technically, one could enroll in UMPI and collect some GenEds way cheaper that at SNHU itself. But after they are deliberately screwing students up, no thanks. I am irritated...

Considering the SNHU minors require 3 SNHU courses, it's not worth it to pay thousands of extra dollars going for a minor. 

Even if it was free through an employer program it's still not worth the extra time going for the minor though you could decide that at the end after you get the rest of your degree done.

(08-09-2023, 11:47 AM)jdubley Wrote: Feels like my advisor just wants me to take more at SNHU honestly, she wrote a note under each my proposed Sophia transfers that "the SNHU course would provide a more comprehensive experience to better prepare you..."

These SNHU advisors have gone rogue.  I don't know what to say. 

You should be focused on the most efficient way to get from point A to point B. "A more comprehensive experience" for GE credits? Give me a break.

Sophia's courses are going to be by far quicker to get these courses done than SNHU. If you take bjcheung77's advice and do courses that will meet GE for most CS programs, then I suggest doing these courses first:

Art History I
Introduction to Nutrition
US History II
English Composition I
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • jdubley, rachel83az
Just got accepted into TESU! And what a refreshing phone call with the TESU admission councilor. She clearly explained to me the types of credits will transfer over, residency, flat rate, etc. without trying to push any TESU courses onto me or get in my way. Very knowledgeable and transfer-friendly. FYI September is the last month (for now) that you can sign up for the free TECEPs (undecided when it will resume).
Oh, nice! TESU admissions people can be pushy sometimes.

Are you allowed to sign up for the free TECEPs, then?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jdubley

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU India & International Affiliates asthewindblows 26 1,568 09-05-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  SNHU Culmination Experience- Sophia PHL-316 not accepted ecomony 12 1,121 07-29-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: ab10365
  SNHU CS Degree plan Dheerajsyz 7 656 07-22-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  International Student in SNHU FullFocus 13 1,323 07-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU IDS-105 requirement sole13 5 566 07-10-2024, 05:39 AM
Last Post: sole13
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 2,520 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 2,622 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,838 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 3,489 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,857 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore