Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNHU new gen ed requirements
(08-09-2023, 03:15 AM)jdubley Wrote: Thank you. I actually found your double degree plan and now I'm considering this instead: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_BACS_and_BSBA_CIS_Double_Degree_Plan_(rachel83az_version)

If I may I ask, how was your experience with Metropolia?

I haven't done a lot of Metropolia stuff, personally, because we found out about it after I'd already filled out my degree with other credits. Such is life! But what I have done has been interesting. They're a pretty easy university to deal with, so getting signed up is a bit of a hassle but it's not that difficult. I would suggest starting with a couple of free/cheap courses to see how you like everything before taking the plunge with the 600€ course group.

(08-09-2023, 03:15 AM)jdubley Wrote: And, as a high school graduate who barely graduated (poor grades, I was not focused), how should I go about applying to TESU? Start the outside courses first and then transfer in, or apply and enroll first to lock in my catalog?

I will be researching much more of the forum and wiki, it's an incredibly helpful resource!

I would apply ASAP. It's theoretically possible that you might be able to get free TECEP exams if you apply right now. https://tinyurl.com/4pm3fp7z While this might not work, it's a good idea to lock in the catalog and whatever transfers you already have right away.

Steps I would take:
1. Apply to TESU.
2. As soon as you are an applicant student, enroll to the Medical Terminology TECEP. If they charge you for this, stop. Pay the $52 and then ignore the TECEP. This will get you full enrolled status, unlocking unlimited transcript evaluations. Do not take the TECEP.
3. If the TECEP is free, pick 4 more TECEPs to take. If you want to do the BSBA CIS/BACS combo, I would suggest at least Network Technology and Managerial Accounting. Applied Liberal Arts Math should be super easy as well.
4. If you got the free TECEPs, study for those before tackling Metropolia or anywhere else. Free credit is free credit.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jdubley
(08-09-2023, 04:10 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-09-2023, 03:15 AM)jdubley Wrote: Thank you. I actually found your double degree plan and now I'm considering this instead: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_BACS_and_BSBA_CIS_Double_Degree_Plan_(rachel83az_version)

If I may I ask, how was your experience with Metropolia?

I haven't done a lot of Metropolia stuff, personally, because we found out about it after I'd already filled out my degree with other credits. Such is life! But what I have done has been interesting. They're a pretty easy university to deal with, so getting signed up is a bit of a hassle but it's not that difficult. I would suggest starting with a couple of free/cheap courses to see how you like everything before taking the plunge with the 600€ course group.

(08-09-2023, 03:15 AM)jdubley Wrote: And, as a high school graduate who barely graduated (poor grades, I was not focused), how should I go about applying to TESU? Start the outside courses first and then transfer in, or apply and enroll first to lock in my catalog?

I will be researching much more of the forum and wiki, it's an incredibly helpful resource!

I would apply ASAP. It's theoretically possible that you might be able to get free TECEP exams if you apply right now. https://tinyurl.com/4pm3fp7z While this might not work, it's a good idea to lock in the catalog and whatever transfers you already have right away.

Steps I would take:
1. Apply to TESU.
2. As soon as you are an applicant student, enroll to the Medical Terminology TECEP. If they charge you for this, stop. Pay the $52 and then ignore the TECEP. This will get you full enrolled status, unlocking unlimited transcript evaluations. Do not take the TECEP.
3. If the TECEP is free, pick 4 more TECEPs to take. If you want to do the BSBA CIS/BACS combo, I would suggest at least Network Technology and Managerial Accounting. Applied Liberal Arts Math should be super easy as well.
4. If you got the free TECEPs, study for those before tackling Metropolia or anywhere else. Free credit is free credit.

Incredibly helpful info, thank you! I've just put in my application for TESU and will follow your advice. If I understand you correctly, I can pay for a TECEP but not take it in order to maintain fully enrolled status without consequences?
(08-09-2023, 04:57 AM)jdubley Wrote: Incredibly helpful info, thank you! I've just put in my application for TESU and will follow your advice. If I understand you correctly, I can pay for a TECEP but not take it in order to maintain fully enrolled status without consequences?

Yes. Enrollment lasts for approximately 12 months after your last enrolled TESU class or TECEP. If you don't take a class, the F will show up on your transcript. If you don't take a TECEP, though? Nothing! It just drops off, never to be heard from again.

Whether you pay for the Medical Terminology TECEP or it's free, never take it! Just ignore it and consider it as if it were a yearly enrollment fee. Smile
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
  • jdubley
Things have been nuts over the past month or so with SNHU changing the GE requirements. For some reason, there are lots of rumors SNHU isn't taking any Sophia courses for GE, and some advisors aren't giving the correct info.

Quote:Hi! I work for SNHU.

I don’t know why people are being told gen Ed’s can’t transfer in from Sophia- that is 100% not true and if an advisor/admission counselor says that they’re incorrect!

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SNHU/comments/1...nd_sophia/

SNHU residency requirements:
  • 30 credits for Bachelor's Degree/15 credits for Associate Degree

• 12 credits in the major (Bachelor)

• 9 credits in the major (Associate)

• 9 credits in the minor
Since taking a course at SNHU is nearly $1000, for sure, I would transfer in 90 credits if it's possible for your degree program. Unlike WGU, you can transfer credits after taking SNHU courses. There is a long winter break where you'll be doing nothing at SNHU.

SNHU Degree Plans
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:SNHU
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • jdubley, Nalexbrown3
Just called my advisor. Then spoke to another advisor just in case mine was mistaken. They both said that there are now stricter requirements for certain programs, and these additional requirements are up your advisor to give out out to you (they don't even list them online!!! ).

For example in my case (CS major):

Creative and Critical Expression (ECCE) Advisor Note: STEM Students must take HUM-215
Historical Perspectives (EHPS) Advisor Note: STEM students must take HIS-217
Contexts in Shaping the Self in Society (ESPE) Advisor note: STEM students must take SCS-260

And on top of that, Sophia's Art History 1 isn't accepted anymore for Cornerstone Humanities (CHUM).

The cornerstones have to be direct equates (exactly the same course ID) from here: https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-...2570455ad2

Which means there's no Sophia option for Cornerstone Sustainability (CSST), Cornerstone Social Justice (CSOJ), and Culmination Experience (CLME).

So I could only transfer in Math, English, and electives from Sophia for general education.

I'm dropping out for sure. Not worth the time, effort, or money. These new required courses aren't standard courses too, so I imagine they would be hard to transfer elsewhere.
(08-09-2023, 07:55 AM)jdubley Wrote: Just called my advisor. Then spoke to another advisor just in case mine was mistaken. They both said that there are now stricter requirements for certain programs, and these additional requirements are up your advisor to give out out to you (they don't even list them online!!! ).

Creative and Critical Expression (ECCE) Advisor Note: STEM Students must take HUM-215
Contexts in Shaping the Self in Society (ESPE) Advisor note: STEM students must take SCS-260

And on top of that, Sophia's Art History 1 isn't accepted anymore for Cornerstone Humanities (CHUM).

The cornerstones have to be direct equates (exactly the same course ID) from here: https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-...2570455ad2

Which means there's no Sophia option for Cornerstone Sustainability (CSST), Cornerstone Social Justice (CSOJ), and Culmination Experience (CLME).

So I could only transfer in Math, English, and electives from Sophia for general education.

I'm dropping out for sure. Not worth the time, effort, or money. These new required courses aren't standard courses too, so I imagine they would be hard to transfer elsewhere.

From that same Reddit thread listed earlier, here's a quote:

"Your advisor is not correct, if they said that you can’t transfer in classes to those gen Ed sections.

There are no DIRECT equates - could that be what they mean? For example a freshman with 0 credits would take HIS-262 for historical perspectives. This course is super super new, so we don’t currently have any direct equates for it on Sophia learning.

However, if you took, let’s just say, US History 1 at a community college. Or, took it on Sophia. That would transfer into SNHU as HIS-113. That would fill in that history section. Any HIS transfer course could fill in that section.

Your comment says “STEM students must take HIS-217”- that means the course is dictated and can’t be “substituted”. You would HAVE to take HIS-217 specifically and couldn’t transfer in a random history course there. Another example is that for Business students, they HAVE to take MAT-240 as their math course - if they take Calculus at a different college it would not satisfy their math because it is dictated. Does that make sense?"

This is from the person that said they worked at SNHU and do evaluations every day.

Also to be clear for CS, you do have to take Precalcusu (MAT142) and Calculus (MAT225) as noted in the Wiki.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • jdubley
(08-09-2023, 08:13 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-09-2023, 07:55 AM)jdubley Wrote: Just called my advisor. Then spoke to another advisor just in case mine was mistaken. They both said that there are now stricter requirements for certain programs, and these additional requirements are up your advisor to give out out to you (they don't even list them online!!! ).

From that same Reddit thread listed earlier, here's a quote:

"Your advisor is not correct, if they said that you can’t transfer in classes to those gen Ed sections.

There are no DIRECT equates - could that be what they mean? For example a freshman with 0 credits would take HIS-262 for historical perspectives. This course is super super new, so we don’t currently have any direct equates for it on Sophia learning.

However, if you took, let’s just say, US History 1 at a community college. Or, took it on Sophia. That would transfer into SNHU as HIS-113. That would fill in that history section. Any HIS transfer course could fill in that section.

Your comment says “STEM students must take HIS-217”- that means the course is dictated and can’t be “substituted”. You would HAVE to take HIS-217 specifically and couldn’t transfer in a random history course there. Another example is that for Business students, they HAVE to take MAT-240 as their math course - if they take Calculus at a different college it would not satisfy their math because it is dictated. Does that make sense?"

This is from the person that said they worked at SNHU and do evaluations every day.

Thank you for the help. I actually directed my advisor to that specific Reddit thread and she told me no, that's not the correct info. Rather, she told me with the new curriculum they need to be the exact course IDs required on the Commons page: https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-catalogs#/programs/view/638f927c1159f62570455ad2

Also, there are additional required courses for STEM majors not listed anywhere on the SNHU website. It's up to the advisors to inform students of these courses.
Even if it turns out that your advisor is wrong and the Reddit thread is right, it sounds like this is something that might take a while to work out. It might be best to avoid SNHU for a while right now because they'll probably just be annoying to deal with until everything is sorted out.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • jdubley
My question is, what courses have you transferred into Sophia so far? Or anything into your GE? Can you upload your evaluation?

I have seen academic evaluations from SNHU and there are so many rules and exceptions from what they list on the website it can get pretty confusing. 

I attached a business admin evaluation of the older GE catalog.

You could do what that person suggested and take some Sophia courses to see how they transfer in by 8/20:

Environmental Science
Introduction to Ethics
Art history 1 & II
United States History II

These you could probably do in a week or two.

Attached Files
.pdf   SNHU biz admin Eval.pdf (Size: 586.94 KB / Downloads: 18)
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • jdubley
(08-09-2023, 08:36 AM)LevelUP Wrote: My question is, what courses have you transferred into Sophia so far? Or anything into your GE? Can you upload your evaluation?

I have seen academic evaluations from SNHU and there are so many rules and exceptions from what they list on the website it can get pretty confusing. 

I attached a business admin evaluation of the older GE catalog.

You could do what that person suggested and take some Sophia courses to see how they transfer in by 8/20:

Environmental Science
Introduction to Ethics
Art history 1 & II
United States History II

These you could probably do in a week or two.

Thanks again for the info, I'll check out that older GE catalog eval right now.

I haven't completed any courses so for on Sophia, but I'm currently working thru Art History 1. The person on that Reddit thread has given me the idea to take the Sophia courses and try transferring them in regardless of what my advisor says, since they may not have the correct information. I will try and keep everyone posted!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU India & International Affiliates asthewindblows 26 1,564 09-05-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  SNHU Culmination Experience- Sophia PHL-316 not accepted ecomony 12 1,119 07-29-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: ab10365
  SNHU CS Degree plan Dheerajsyz 7 656 07-22-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  International Student in SNHU FullFocus 13 1,323 07-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU IDS-105 requirement sole13 5 565 07-10-2024, 05:39 AM
Last Post: sole13
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 2,519 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 2,621 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,836 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 3,483 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,856 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore