Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resume Question
I am a decent resume writer (not a professional). Since the beginning of the pandemic, a friend of mine has been doing side gigs on things like fiverr and upwork. I was asked how would or even should they put those on a resume. I think they should, but I don't know how. What do you guys think?
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Maybe something like:

Resume professional (private clients) - 2020-now
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jsd, ROYISAGIRL
Here is a good link for how to put freelance work on a resume

https://www.upwork.com/resources/how-to-...on-resumes

A lot of employers want to see some quantitative data on a resume.

If for example, you were a website designer,  instead of saying something like, "I designed this super beautiful website that had this feature and that feature."

You could say, "I designed this a website that led to an increase in traffic by XX amount, an increase in user engagement by XX amount, and a decrease in load times by XX amount for a better overall customer experience."
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 4 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu, ROYISAGIRL, SteveFoerster, Vle045
(07-05-2022, 05:42 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Maybe something like:

Resume professional (private clients) - 2020-now
Lol thanks rachel, I was asking more for the freelance stuff my friend does not me doing resume assistance. I didn't think to put my own "freelance" services on there.

(07-05-2022, 05:57 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Here is a good link for how to put freelance work on a resume

https://www.upwork.com/resources/how-to-...on-resumes

A lot of employers want to see some quantitative data on a resume.

If for example, you were a website designer,  instead of saying something like, "I designed this super beautiful website that had this feature and that feature."

You could say, "I designed this a website that led to an increase in traffic by XX amount, an increase in user engagement by XX amount, and a decrease in load times by XX amount for a better overall customer experience."
Thanks I'll pass this on!
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

They shouldn't unless it's helping fill a gap in the resume or it's relevant to the job they want.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Vle045
Ideas Wrote:They shouldn't unless it's helping fill a gap in the resume or it's relevant to the job they want.

This is what I would recommend as well, if it's extra "fluff" it usually isn't required to get you past that initial check the box.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I would say add it IF it doesn’t distract the reader too much, cause the reader to stop reading without getting to the good stuff.

Don’t be like this guy (see, particularly, the bottom of page 3): https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/faculty/js...itz_CV.pdf

Well, maybe be like that guy, but don’t write a resume/CV like his. Wink
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 3 users Like freeloader's post:
  • jsd, LevelUP, Pikachu
@freeloader, that CV is the longest I have ever seen, the person could have shortened it.. "summed it up in two pages". Wow, 73 pages for a CV... He's about the same age as Johann and I bet even Johann would recommend a quick edit to remove everything beyond the first two pages!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Once upon a time I had several versions of my resume and I would use them differently, depending on the purpose.  If you feel that it would be useful to include something on a particular resume then you can include it.  If not, not.  Having reviewed more than a few resumes in my time, I can tell you that reviewing a resume that is cluttered with irrelevant junk is annoying and works against you in the long run.  If you want to write a curriculum vitae that's different but a resume is designed to get you an interview/job.  Don't include anything that won't help toward that goal.
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/cv-vs-resume-2058495
I have a running resume that has everything I've ever done from work, schools, volunteering, awards, etc. I take pieces from it and tailor a resune according to what job I'm applying for.

For my buddy he was doing coding and making websites for ppl on upwork/fiverr and realized that's what he wanted to as work, so that's why I encouraged it. I just wasn't sure how to write it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fun Viral TikTok Question Riddles LevelUP 18 1,549 05-10-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 769 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 935 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 779 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: What do you use? For backup, restore, storage? bjcheung77 2 908 09-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Employment Question Alpha 3 1,204 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: DegreeForum Investment bjcheung77 3 1,253 06-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,909 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,774 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Question for Techies: Best Things to Learn amilitab4k9 12 3,058 12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Last Post: amilitab4k9