Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote Proctoring deemed illegal as violation of 4th amendment rights?
There's a reason many schools are now using TurnItIn for papers. I'm personally not a fan of using it, but I understand the need for it especially after a teammate of mine plagiarized their entire paper for our team assignment. But then again, I do my own research and write my own papers. I also cite every little thing.
Remote proctoring was not deemed illegal.  Scanning the room was deemed illegal.  Practices/rules will be modified and remote proctoring will continue, much as before.  It's really not even worth putting the popcorn in the microwave.
https://www.npr.org/2022/08/25/111933795...university
Just here noting that works written in English by non-native speakers of English include Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad, born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski, was Polish), Lolita, and Things Fall Apart.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • rachel83az
(08-26-2022, 10:59 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: Just here noting that works written in English by non-native speakers of English include Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad, born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski, was Polish), Lolita, and Things Fall Apart.

Are we going to call "Lolita" a book about pedophilia a great piece of work?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-26-2022, 11:35 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 10:59 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: Just here noting that works written in English by non-native speakers of English include Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad, born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski, was Polish), Lolita, and Things Fall Apart.

One can dislike a thing but still admit that it was done well. There's a whole section of Reddit for "Awful Taste But Great Execution". 

I've never read the book, nor do I care to, but it was apparently well-written. That doesn't mean it's a good book as far as content goes.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(08-26-2022, 11:47 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

One can dislike a thing but still admit that it was done well. There's a whole section of Reddit for "Awful Taste But Great Execution". 

I've never read the book, nor do I care to, but it was apparently well-written. That doesn't mean it's a good book as far as content goes.

I wish someone would tell that to the people that canceled Dr. Seuss's books.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Media about abuse does not necessarily support abuse. Very often it opposes it! This is true of books, movies, TV, podcasts, etc.

I haven't read more than a few paragraphs of Lolita but have read and heard wide-ranging discussion about it.

It's often described by acknowledged experts as exceptionally well-written. It's often part of college reading lists, great books lists by acknowledged experts, library core collections by professional librarians.

I believe it's widely held by critics that the book does NOT glorify, glamorize, endorse, or support pedophilia. It's often engaged with as an important work by critics including feminists who make clear that they have no sympathy for the character Humbert.

This is consistent with the few paragraphs I read. Humbert came across as a thoroughly pathetic abuser.

I guess Humbert was not a maximally cartoonish monster, making ugly lecherous expressions every waking moment. He might have even had some funny bits, even in some sense relatable bits. These things are often true even of abusers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • rachel83az
(08-26-2022, 01:03 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: I believe it's widely held by critics that the book does NOT glorify, glamorize, endorse, or support pedophilia. It's often engaged with as an important work by critics including feminists who make clear that they have no sympathy for the character Humbert.

Poor Dr. Seuss. I don't think anyone has the balls to openly admit that those books should have never been canceled. 

Welcome to 1984 2022.

Where did he say it was a great piece of work? He didn't say that. He said it was written by a non-native English speaker. Not the same thing at all.

(08-26-2022, 12:01 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 11:47 AM)rachel83az Wrote: One can dislike a thing but still admit that it was done well. There's a whole section of Reddit for "Awful Taste But Great Execution". 

I wish someone would tell that to the people that canceled Dr. Seuss's books.

The Dr. Seuss Estate canceled his books. So his own family did it because of the content and they didn't feel it was appropriate for children especially today. Several of the books hadn't been printed in years.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • jsd, MNomadic, rachel83az
(08-26-2022, 01:33 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 11:35 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Are we going to call "Lolita" a book about pedophilia a great piece of work?
Where did he say it was a great piece of work? He didn't say that. He said it was written by a non-native English speaker. Not the same thing at all.

I never said he said that.

(08-26-2022, 01:33 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The Dr. Seuss Estate canceled his books. So his own family did it because of the content and they didn't feel it was appropriate for children especially today. Several of the books hadn't been printed in years.

According to this source, they were canceled in 2021 after a smear campaign was launched against Dr. Suess. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/dr-seu...index.html

In addition, you can't buy certain used Dr. Suess books as well on eBay.

So should some of Dr. Suess's have been canceled?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,784 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Digital Nomad - Remote work in various countries bjcheung77 14 1,929 09-29-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: impasta
  Tired of WGU proctoring - non-proctored alternatives zadaea 14 16,364 09-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Saylor Proctoring $5 for all classes now! bjcheung77 18 3,161 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  IDEA has lost its two founders, who began in remote South Texas in 2000 bjcheung77 1 706 01-17-2022, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Johann
  ID question for proctoring Goldilocks! 2 876 01-08-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Goldilocks!
  Why is this a violation of academic integrity? Vle045 15 1,984 05-29-2021, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Remote Exam Proctoring Software/System bjcheung77 3 1,240 05-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  Webcam for Proctoring BrighterFuture88 10 5,203 09-20-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Craziest Proctoring Scenario? a2jc4life 10 2,926 10-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Last Post: bluebooger