Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote Proctoring deemed illegal as violation of 4th amendment rights?
https://www.journalgazette.net/local/ohi...ine%20test
I wonder if this will set a precedent for future lawsuits? Will academic integrity suffer if room scans and remote Proctoring are deemed illegal?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • jch, ss20ts
On the one hand, I don't like this. It has the potential to eliminate almost all remote testing, which would suck for everyone here.

On the other hand...

Quote:The decision whether to require students to show their rooms before a test is left to the discretion of individual professors and is not enforced by all instructors, Ogletree said in the lawsuit. Room scans are visible to other students who are taking a test, Ogletree's lawsuit said.

Visible to other students? What? Why?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-23-2022, 05:03 PM)rachel83az Wrote: On the one hand, I don't like this. It has the potential to eliminate almost all remote testing, which would suck for everyone here.

On the other hand...

Quote:The decision whether to require students to show their rooms before a test is left to the discretion of individual professors and is not enforced by all instructors, Ogletree said in the lawsuit. Room scans are visible to other students who are taking a test, Ogletree's lawsuit said.

Maybe they are doing the zoom courses with proctored exams?
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Vle045
(08-23-2022, 05:03 PM)rachel83az Wrote: On the one hand, I don't like this. It has the potential to eliminate almost all remote testing, which would suck for everyone here.

On the other hand...

That's what I found peculiar. It may be that they were having everyone together on a shared zoom call vs using a 3rd party Proctoring service. Definitely something to follow since if lawsuits started preventing remote Proctoring, academic integrity could suffer drastically, devaluing degrees. Or, as you mentioned, some remote programs could be eliminated altogether or require testing centers(which would be super inconvenient for a lot of people).

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
I dislike proctoring immensely and have had a horrible experience with Examity. I still cannot get the photo of my driver's license removed on that account. Too late now because the data leak has probably already happened. It's one thing to see a student from the webcam. It's entirely different to pan the entire room over and over and look in cabinets and glasses. I can see proctoring being court more often because of the security and privacy concerns. I don't know what the answer is to prevent cheating. People have been cheating since the dawn of time.
That’s right here in my backyard. My son’s esports coach is teaching at Cleveland State now.

In this case, I am pretty sure it was a situation where a previously in person class got shifted online so they were probably testing at the same time on zoom or similar.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
I can understand not liking home proctoring and finding it intrusive, but this ruling makes no sense. It's voluntary. The state isn't forcing anyone to enroll at Cleveland State University and take courses that require proctoring. It's a voluntary action taken by the student.

If I invite an officer into my home, he hasn't violated my 4th amendment rights if he takes a look at the family portraits that i hung on the wall (or, for that matter, notices all that crack i might have left on my coffee table)

There are state privacy laws that seem to be a much better fit for challenging proctoring practices. But a 4th amendment challenge seems really out there.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 4 users Like jsd's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, LevelUP, MNomadic, rachel83az
Here's the story from another source
Test proctoring room scans violated college student’s privacy, judge rules | Higher Ed Dive
(08-23-2022, 06:16 PM)jsd Wrote: I can understand not liking home proctoring and finding it intrusive, but this ruling makes no sense. It's voluntary. The state isn't forcing anyone to enroll at Cleveland State University and take courses that require proctoring. It's a voluntary action taken by the student.

If I invite an officer into my home, he hasn't violated my 4th amendment rights if he takes a look at the family portraits that i hung on the wall (or, for that matter, notices all that crack i might have left on my coffee table)

There are state privacy laws that seem to be a much better fit for challenging proctoring practices. But a 4th amendment challenge seems really out there.
Agreed, the state didn't force its way into their home either physically or digitally, it was effectively voluntarily allowed in when they signed up for the class, knowing there would be proctoring requirements. Unless there was previously no expectations of remote/home proctoring and it was added in later, perhaps due to COVID changes? I think if someone knowingly signs up for a course that requires proctoring, it should be up to them to make arrangements to account for privacy (or make arrangements with the school). I know I always have a process I go through to make my home testing environment as "sterile" as possible. In fact I've recently just been setting up in the bathroom with my chair, a small, portable Desk, and my laptop, then taking everything off the counter/hiding anything. This way I don't have to worry about all the extra computers/monitors in my shared office.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • midnite123
Drop the course. Take the exam in one of those closed rooms you can reserve at the library. Take the F. etc etc etc

There are so many other options and not one piece of this involves government coercion.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • LevelUP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,792 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Digital Nomad - Remote work in various countries bjcheung77 14 1,932 09-29-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: impasta
  Tired of WGU proctoring - non-proctored alternatives zadaea 14 16,372 09-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Saylor Proctoring $5 for all classes now! bjcheung77 18 3,161 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  IDEA has lost its two founders, who began in remote South Texas in 2000 bjcheung77 1 706 01-17-2022, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Johann
  ID question for proctoring Goldilocks! 2 876 01-08-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Goldilocks!
  Why is this a violation of academic integrity? Vle045 15 1,985 05-29-2021, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Remote Exam Proctoring Software/System bjcheung77 3 1,240 05-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  Webcam for Proctoring BrighterFuture88 10 5,205 09-20-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Craziest Proctoring Scenario? a2jc4life 10 2,938 10-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Last Post: bluebooger