Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Taking Anxiety
Wow, studyhard, that is GREAT advice! It's amazing what small changes in diet can do. Blueberry, I feel your pain. I tend to freak out during the test, especially right before reporting the scores. I, too, didn't have this problem when I was younger. Sometimes it helps to find a quiet place, close your eyes, and picture yourself taking the test and passing. Even if it's just five minutes in your car before the exam, imagine exactly how you want the event to play out (arriving, taking the test, passing w/ desired score, leaving, etc.). I guess it's sports psychology Smile.
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Thank you everybody for all your suggestions and support. I feel better already!
Gosh, I love this place!
Sunshine Wrote:Sometimes it helps to find a quiet place, close your eyes, and picture yourself taking the test and passing. Even if it's just five minutes in your car before the exam, imagine exactly how you want the event to play out (arriving, taking the test, passing w/ desired score, leaving, etc.). I guess it's sports psychology Smile.

Oh! Yeah, along those lines, did you know that most people actually going around mentally practicing being nervous? I talk about this with my music students--if they're nervous about a performance, what is going on in their imagination? They are imagining everything that could go wrong. What if I hit a wrong note? What if I miss a cue? What if I break a string unexpectedly? What if my hands are shaking so that I can't play? In other words, they are practicing being nervous. How does that help? Smile

My psychological advice to anyone facing a situation wherein they might be nervous is to NOT THINK ABOUT IT! Don't imagine the test questions being hard. Don't fret ahead of time about how you'll be hot and shaky. Don't imagine that horrible moment of clicking the "Report Score" button. We all have those fearful and trying times but rehearsing them in your mind only makes it much, much worse. It doesn't even do much good to sit there and tell yourself, "I won't be nervous, I'll be fine, I won't be nervous, I'll be fine..." because you're STILL THINKING ABOUT IT.

So! Study for your test but don't think about any of the anxiety associated with it. Don't imagine yourself walking into the testing center with a knot in your stomach. Think about something totally unrelated, like, say, chocolate. Don't think about those Frightfully Tough Questions you might encounter. Think about something, like, say, new shoes. Getting the picture? When those scary thoughts pop into your mind tell yourself, "Yeah, sure, maybe I'll be nervous later but I don't have to be nervous RIGHT NOW" and go read a book or do something that forces your brain in another direction.

Summary: Listening to your fears ahead of time only makes things worse. Don't do it. Big Grin
studyhard Wrote:Think about something totally unrelated, like, say, chocolate. Don't think about those Frightfully Tough Questions you might encounter. Think about something, like, say, new shoes.
Hm, I think thoughts of new shoes might stress me more. Wink

But really, this is excellent advice. I just changed what test I'll be taking this Friday a few days ago, so I'll be employing these sort of techniques all week.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
studyhard Wrote:My psychological advice to anyone facing a situation wherein they might be nervous is to NOT THINK ABOUT IT! Think about something totally unrelated, like, say, chocolate. Don't think about those Frightfully Tough Questions you might encounter. Think about something, like, say, new shoes. Getting the picture? When those scary thoughts pop into your mind tell yourself, "Yeah, sure, maybe I'll be nervous later but I don't have to be nervous RIGHT NOW" and go read a book or do something that forces your brain in another direction.

Summary: Listening to your fears ahead of time only makes things worse. Don't do it. Big Grin

This is so true and really works! For my senior recital I used these same "brain tricks" and wasn't ever nervous. Sometimes we all have to take back our minds and make them focus on the positive.

I do think butterflies in the stomach are normal between the end of the test and hitting the report scores button! I got an adrenalin high every time!
Instead of visualizing something negative, visualize something positive! See yourself confidently answering the questions, and the Congratulations screen when you click report the scores! Picture what you're going to do when you finish the test and you've passed (for me it's a schlotskzy's original sandwich & a Dr. Pepper).

I get majorly nervous, and those things help me.
Smile Cleps:
Introduction Business Law 65
Principles of Management 70
Principles of Marketing 71
A&I Literature 68
American Lit 59
Educational Psychology 68
Social sciences & history 65
Western Civilization I 64

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Even though I have had (social) anxiety problems for many years, the tests themselves haven't bothered me.

This morning was the exception though. I did not feel like I knew the material well. I was out of town this weekend so I couldn't study till I got home Sunday night and my test for Psychology was at 8:30 am this morning. I stayed up till 2am this morning cramming and didn't get to bed till almost 3am. Then I overslept! My wife frantically wakes me up telling me it's 8:10, and it's a 30 minute drive to the testing center!

I jump out of bed throwing my clothes on and call the testing center and the nice lady there tells me that if I can be there in half an hour, she'll let me take the test. So now, I'm off the the races!

Long story short, I made it there and passed with a 61.

We create our own anxiety. I should have studied more than I did and I should have gotten plenty of sleep, woke up refreshed and had breakfast. I brought this panic on myself.

This should be a good example of WHAT NOT TO DO!

Patrick
CLEP's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]A & I Lit-6CH (62), American Gov't (63), Introductory Business Law (64), History of the United States I (66), Introductory Psychology (61), Introductory Sociology (73), American Literature (63), Macroeconomics (58)[/SIZE]

DSST's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to World Religion (464), Astronomy (70)[/SIZE]

Up Next:
[SIZE="1"] Taking a break![/SIZE]
I find that if I'm feeling excessively anxious before a test, I go for a long run. Seriously, it HELPS. I'll bet you don't even have to run, just do some kind of intense physical exercise. It'll make that anxiety disappear!

Good luck!
Working towards a BA in Business Administration at AMU

Tests Taken:
CLEP Humanities (2002) - passed
CLEP English w/Composition (2002) - passed
CLEP Biology (2005) - passed w/ a 56
CLEP US History I (2006) - passed w/ a 66
CLEP US History II (2009) - passed w/ a 71
CLEP English Literature (2009) - passed w/ a 69
CLEP Introductory Psychology (2009) - passed w/ a 66
DANTES Human Resource Management (2009) - passed w/ a 70
DANTES Organizational Behavior (2009) - passed w/ a 70
CLEP Macroeconomics (2009) - passed w/ a 66
CLEP Microeconomics (2009) - passed w/ a 62

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Done with testing as of July 2009, now on to coursework![/SIZE][/SIZE] :o
I don't get test anxiety but I do at the dentist, and let me tell you....

xanax.

It's a life saver!
COSC Student
Credits earned and applied: 91
Credits not yet applied: Clep: 6 FEMA: 3

Need to graduate:
20 Liberal Arts
Statistics
Oral Communication

Working on:
StraighterLine Criminal Justice & Intro to Nutrition
Misc FEMA credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 345 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Elite colleges are lying about how much test scores mean LevelUP 0 213 06-12-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Test score rogeryoung 4 474 04-24-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 424 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 762 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 7,022 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 1,284 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  What have others used to write the Spanish letters/characters while taking ACTFL? Insert Name 3 740 06-16-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inside the Vast National Experiment in Test-Optional College Admissions LevelUP 2 1,068 04-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  An Investigation Finds That Millions of Students Are Taking on Dangerous BNPL Debt LevelUP 4 984 03-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: rachel83az