Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone with experience/knowledge on army medic to civilian LVN pathway?
Hi, folks.

I'm working with someone who was a medic (corpsman) for several years in the military. Now a civilian, and looking to become an LVN, possibly eventually an RN or nurse practitioner.

From a little research I've done, it seems that his corpsman training makes him eligible to take an exam to gain an LVN license.

1. Does anyone have experience or know about this?

2. If he goes this route, would it make getting an RN or eventually RNP more difficult?

3. Does it make sense, given his long-term career path, to get an undergrad degree from UMPI or TESU or Excelsior?  He has a lot of time to work on Sophia and/or Modern States right now. (He's presently broke, making MS attractive due to price).

Thoughts appreciated.
Honestly, his best bet would probably be to finish a non-nursing bachelor’s degree, and get the typical nursing school prerequisites knocked out along the way (Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2, Chemistry, General Biology, Microbiology, Lifespan Development, Nutrition, Algebra, Statistics, and Psychology, all with lab when offered, Straighterline has most of these, but that can limit what programs he’d be able to apply to).

From there he could apply directly to a second degree accelerated BSN program, or a direct entry MSN. Honestly, there is little utility to being an LVN/LPN first. Most nursing schools only comp a few classes (mine did the first 3 of the core RN curriculum) for that license, as it’s a totally different scope of practice and therefore training in regard to similar skills…LVNs can't interpret or plan, only carry out care plans and report to RNs and prescribing providers).

The other sensible option would to just focus on getting the prerequisites out of the way and earning his RN qualifying degree at a community college, which is the most inexpensive route, and probably the quickest was to become an RN. There are tons of RN to BSN and RN to NP bridge courses. The biggest need is just qualifying for your RN license in anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DeanLewis's post:
  • staceydiane
(12-16-2023, 12:52 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: He's presently broke

Keep in mind that completing a bachelor's degree with or without Pell Grants, or completing 12 semesters with Pell Grants, will make him ineligible for Pell Grants. He might want to save his Pell Grant eligibility for an undergraduate nursing program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • staceydiane
What's an LVN? I haven't heard of an LVN. We have LPNs where I live. Same thing? Or is the LVN something in veterinary medicine?
It's the same thing, different states have different ways of distinguishing them: https://nursinglicensemap.com/nursing-sp...vn-vs-lpn/
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry abs_co 11 3,822 05-12-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  experience with the University of London Givenes 1 448 05-11-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider LevelUP 13 11,068 01-21-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Capella - Virginia LPC Experience Rweber 0 457 09-26-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Rweber
  Life Experience degree from the Mexican Government itself elcastor21 6 891 09-13-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Univ of People partners with Sophia.org for degree pathway! bjcheung77 3 981 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Teaching Theoretical Knowledge Verses Practical Skills In College LevelUP 2 2,035 02-19-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BYU Pathway Worldwide - Ensign College (BYU-I Partnership Undergrad Options) bjcheung77 2 1,354 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How E-sports Have Become a Pathway to College Scholarships LevelUP 1 592 04-11-2022, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  UMass Global / Brandman myPath Application and Transfer Experience? origamishuttle 8 2,335 01-27-2022, 05:47 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle