Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about COS 306 Computer Architecture Study.com Final assignment
This assignment is a killer and many of requirements aren't taught in the course it's ridiculous!!! I'm learning more about ALU design and Assembly and haven't started the assignment yet. There are a few confusing parts of the assignment that nobody has answered yet.
In PHASE ONE it says: 
"Start by building an 8-bit ALU using Logisim"
Does it mean that the ALU should be designed as an 8-bit circuit from the start, or am I allowed to build smaller 1-bit or 4-bit blocks and build up from that to an 8-bit circuit?
Also, later it says "Justify the importance of the five instructions you added" but I don't understand what it wants us to do? Should I explain what the instructions do and why I chose them or is it something else? I appreciate any help or hints of how to complete this assignment. Thanks.
The "Justify the importance of the five instructions you added."  For this, you just describe the instructions.

Computer Architecture is a brutal course. It's like 3 courses in 1 course.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • exxxius, Pikachu
It's almost a full month that I'm trying to learn the design concepts and assembly, still haven't figured out how to do this assignment. I've built the logic op blocks, but the project's instructions is vague and confusing in many parts Sad
(11-20-2021, 01:40 PM)exxxius Wrote: It's almost a full month that I'm trying to learn the design concepts and assembly, still haven't figured out how to do this assignment. I've built the logic op blocks, but the project's instructions is vague and confusing in many parts Sad

Have you taken the exam yet?  What was your score?

Sometimes the best course of action is to try to score 70%-80% on the exam. Then you only need 30%-40% on the written assignment. So you get 3 total tries on the written assignment. 

There is also a Computer Architecture course at TESU, but I'm not sure I advise taking that course while doing the Capstone at the same time as there are lots of new concepts and 2 closed-book exams to do, which is 50% of your grade.  This is like a step #10 last resort measure. You're still on step #3 Smile

One way or another you'll get through this.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Well, I'm still struggling with the assignment. I made the ALU and OP blocks as much as I could and think it's the correct way, but I couldn't figure out the PHASE 3 building the CONTROL UNIT and also phase 4 assembly programs. Could anybody help me with this please? It's almost 2 months since I started doing the final assignment Sad
Have you taken the exam yet or are you still working on the assignment? Despite what the page says, you do NOT actually have to complete the assignment in order to take the exam. I've been putting off this course myself because my tutor and I have both been busy with other non-school things.

I wish I could be more help right now, but make sure that you follow the rubric. Nothing else matters but the rubric. It looks like if you can pull off the minimum "needs improvement" scores in each section, you'll get 43/100. With quizzes of 100/100, you need a 68 on the exam to pass.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
I've just realized, have you taken advantage of Study.com's free tutoring/questions? Go to your dashboard. Click on "message tutors". Ask a specific question that will help you with your assignment. Something like "Where can I learn more about designing a control circuit in Logism?" Obviously, they won't do the assignment for you, but they should be able to point you in the right direction.

You get ten FREE questions every month through SDC.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
  • exxxius
As an additional resource, Saylor Academy also has a Computer Architecture course.

https://learn.saylor.org/course/view.php?id=71
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
Check out these past threads that may be of some help:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...assignment
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...nment-help
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...chitecture
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • exxxius, Pikachu
It appears that, as of January 1st, this class will no longer be accepted by TESU. If you haven't finished it, finish it NOW. Some further helpful links I've found as I'm rushing to complete this class myself:

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Bui...-Computer/
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu...-8-bit-cpu
https://www.youtube.com/c/BenEater/playlists
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • exxxius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 68 44,836 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Limited Time 68% Off College Saver at Study.com portals 41 7,220 2 hours ago
Photo Sophia Final Milestone ID Verification jg_nuy 4 196 09-16-2024, 09:00 PM
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 178 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Lightbulb Study.com 5 Exam Limit per Month Clarification Jaymes 2 227 09-13-2024, 08:06 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,733 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  SDC: Pausing Account before Final Grade legenwait4itdary 9 404 09-12-2024, 06:59 PM
  Study.com non-proctored final exams Tsanchez123 6 601 08-30-2024, 06:17 PM
  I have a question Uplive 1 236 08-29-2024, 09:42 AM
  Study.com renewal discount Tsanchez123 1 231 08-25-2024, 10:53 AM