Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Production/Operations Management and Business Policy advice for Excelsior
What is the benefit of taking this class over just taking the tesc exam? Checking the csu website the class is now $417 plus the $150 book = $567 opposed to the $450 tesc exam. Plus why would I spend a month if Im lucky doing assignments when I can just study for the exam and be done with it... What am I missing?
rcl252 Wrote:What is the benefit of taking this class over just taking the tesc exam? Checking the csu website the class is now $417 plus the $150 book = $567 opposed to the $450 tesc exam. Plus why would I spend a month if Im lucky doing assignments when I can just study for the exam and be done with it... What am I missing?

Hi rcl,

This course USED to be a lot cheaper than the TESC exam. At that time, it was a cost-effective alternative to taking the exam. The moment CSU raised their prices, this course became a much less attractive option.

The CSU course is, however, still an option that is out there for anyone who wants/needs to make use of it.

You have to register for a TESC exam about a month in advance, and then it can take another month to get the results. So there might be some benefit to the CSU course for those who are in a rush to get the Ops Management requirement completed. Also, the textbook can be obtained much cheaper than $150. If I remember correctly, I think I paid about $45 for a used copy. I used it for a month and then immediately resold it to someone else for $35. So the textbook cost me a total of only $10 in the end.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
rcl252 Wrote:Plus why would I spend a month if Im lucky doing assignments when I can just study for the exam and be done with it... What am I missing?
rcl,

I totally understand why you would ask this question, because I would be wondering the same thing if I were in your position. However, my opinion (which is based on my personal experience with taking this exam twice--I failed it the first time by two lousy points) is that the TECEP Ops Mgmt exam is not one you "can just study for and be done with it". :eek:

Most (if not all) of those forum members who have taken the exam found it to be incredibly difficult, no matter how hard you study for it (among other things, most of the questions can be very convoluted). In fact, I found this particular exam to be as difficult as taking the Statistics exam, which should say a lot. If I had realized at the time that the CSU course was available and someone had been able to warn me ahead of time about the extreme difficulty of the TECEP exam, I would have definitely taken the course.

Yes, the cost of the CSU course is more than the cost of the TECEP exam, but I still think it would be worth it, plus you could already be working on the course while you wait the 30 days to even take the exam (and you would need most of that--if not more--to prepare for it).

Anyway, that's my two cents' worth!

JoAnne Smile
Ok now I can see why some choose the CSU route. If I can study for the tesc exam in a relatively short time I will go that route but if its going to take longer I will be joining the rest of you at CSU..

I just wanted the thank you guys again for all your help and input. When I found this sight in November I was hoping to be able to finish my degree in 2 years and now thanks to this sight and the help of you guys I will be finishing in under 6 months.. I would never thought it was possible

Raphael
I concur with JoAnne about about the CSU course vs TECEP, not only it takes about the same time to finish, but you will most likely get your results faster (assuming the professor is available to grade your assignments/exam).

Plus the difficulty seems to be reasonable, the professor seems to be getting good feedback. I've enrolled last week and will be starting soon (in a couple of weeks I hope). I've scanned through the textbook and the syllabus and so far, it looks good, I'm actually looking forward to study for this course.

I had previously enrolled in a similar course at Louisiana State University and was put off by the amount of work required (not to mention that assignments could only be submitted by mail). Needless to say, I dropped out of it (after dragging for 9 months and extending enrollment once).

I will post feedback on MGMT 311 as I progress through it in this thread.
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)
For what it's worth, while the TECEP Operations Management exam is difficult, it is passable. However, at $450 it's much more of a risk than taking a CLEP or a DANTES, and there aren't really any good practice exams that I know of. I managed to score a 74 on it (60 is passing), using the Barron's text and the VangoNotes for the Heizer and Render text. The IC flashcards are very helpful as well.

Still, if you have the time, taking a course is not a bad way to go. I would recommend you at least consider taking the course from the school you're attending. The cost may be somewhat higher, but you're supporting your school and there's a little less administrative friction. Plus, if it's Excelsior, the courseware will be quite good, and the schedule will be flexible and maintainable.

-Gary-
I have the syllabus for MGMT 311 and would like to obtain the most inexpensive text and CD that will work for this course. The professor has indicated that the seventh edition may be enough--but it may be challenging matching up the different page and assignment numbers. I would appreciate it if anyone who has taken or is taking the course successfully with any text other than the US 8e would please reply with info re. the text they are using. Thanks!
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
I read so many posts on this forum about people using the international version with no problems.

I got the US version through Amazon's Marketplace for $45 plus shipping, it was in a good condition (the seller was ValoreBooks I believe).

I'd verify with the seller that the CD is included before buying used.

You may also try Addall:
AddALL book search and price comparison

CheapTextbooks:
CoalBucket.com will now do our best to meet your request..
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)
Barcotta,
I sent you a PM about a book for this course.
Quick question for those taking the MGMT 311 course. What exactly are the application exercises? I have the 7th edition of Operations Management which may be part of the problem but I heard this edition could be used.At a glance it seems the 8th editions have the same questions.I see self test,practice problems,internet exercises,and internet homework exercises but no application exercises. Can anyone explain or maybe if someone can post the 1st application exercise question I can match it up?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 3,017 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 2,186 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,705 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,710 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 2,081 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,477 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 2,076 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 5,447 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 5,066 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,437 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun