Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Production/Operations Management and Business Policy advice for Excelsior
brownstien Wrote:How are you getting documents through to the professor? I have been trying for hours and everything is getting stopped by the school firewall. Ive even broken down the 1st exam into 8 separate emails and still cant get through :mad:

It could be that you are using a Yahoo email address (or something like it). Many of the free email servers get blacklisted because so much spam comes from their members.

Also, make sure you didn't send any zip files. It is possible that the school rejects this type of file outright.

If none of the above applies, I would contact the Prof to see what he suggests.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
I used my free hotmail account and that did get through to the professor without issues.
Judy -
AS - Computer Science - Andover college
BS - Mgmt Information Systems -June 08
MS - Info Systems Mgmt - Start Aug 08 - UMBC
I have been away for a while since I got my degree, but I have been keeping tabs on this thread. It's good to see that even though I may have started this particular thread, others have built on it and are helping each other succeed. Certainly some of the assignments have changed since I took the class... so it's great that the torch has been passed and you all are running with it. Godspeed!!! Brave Soldiers!!!

Anyway, I see that some of you in the class are stressing about Excel and P/OM for windows. If you want to avoid them, you should probably avoid this class altogether. However, they really are set up so that all you have to do is plug-in the numbers and hit "solve" (or whatever). It's really not Rocket Surgery.Rolleyes Besides, these programs will help you to become more computer savvy. That's a good thing; especially for some of the folks like me who need to keep up with all the young whipper-snappers in the workforce.

There are enough people in this thread that can walk you through whatever you are up against in this class.

If I could give a summary of my experience with MGMT 311, I would try to stress that Prof. B. is not a nit-picker. He grades based on whether you understand the concept. Neatness, spelling, pretty pictures, grammar, and format are not all that relevant to him.

He told me early on, "Don't overdo it. Just answer the question simply and completely."

My AE's were mostly hand drawn, or written, on a copy of the AE page from the syllabus. If it was a chart or spreadsheet, I printed it out then scanned it with a scanner to a PDF format. I usually turned in 2 or 3 AEs together. Everything I turned in was printed, then scanned to PDF, then emailed.

[SIZE="4"]I'd be interested to get a head-count of people reading this thread who have completed this class. If you have, maybe you wouldn't mind just chiming in, telling how long it took you to complete the course and your final grade.[/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"]auminer49r[/SIZE]

Completed a B.S. in General Business
at Excelsior College (3.86 GPA)

Left to take:

NOTHING!!!

... But, I'm still sticking around...Smile
I just got my grade back for Mgmt311 @ CSU. I scored 970 out 100. First I would like to thank auminer49r for starting this thread which lead me to taking the course @ CSU, as well as snazzlefrag for the textbook and helping me through the first couple of AEs.

Now my two cents on the course, It took me 4 ½ months to complete but I could have easily completed it in 6 weeks or less (I had some family issues take me away from my studies during that time). I finished the last 4AEs and 2 Exams in two weeks once I got focused again. Don’t get discourage at the first of this course, it gets easier as you get more comfortable. The key is learning how to use the software that comes with the text (POM for windows, and excel OM). There are usually hints at the end of each charter on how to use the software to solve problems. If an AE or Exam question seems difficult then you can almost bet that one of those tools can be used to solve it. There is also an appendix with tips on using the software. I used Visio a lot in this class, but as stated in an earlier post, you could hand draw all the diagrams and get the same grade.

All in all I would recommend this course. It was much less stressful that most my exams and about as much work as I put in for Clep Acct exam.

Thanks again to all that provided information and help tips. Now on to TECEP Business Policy Exam.
Well done ChrisG,

All that matters is that you got there in the end.
Wink

...and with a high 'A' too. That's awesome!

Congratulations,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:Gary,

Yes! MGMT 311 is the correct course to fulfill the Operations Management requirement at Excelsior, and it is the course that has been discussed on this board for a while now. But that information isn't really significant to you if you aren't a business major.

I would advise you to double check this kind of thing BEFORE you register for something next time. It doesn't make sense to ask very important questions AFTER you have paid your money.

Also, it sounds like you rushed into this course, in general, without knowing what it is, why you would need to take it, or even whether it is the same course you intended it to be. Slow down, think things through, do your research, THEN act!

The course is quite fun, and not too difficult. You will need to be able to do the BASICS with Excel. But it isn't difficult to figure out the software. You basically just select the desired module from a list of available items, and then type in your given data, copy the results, and paste them into your answer sheet ready to be mailed to the professor.

For what it's worth,
Snazzlefrag

Snazz,
I have a question about MGMT 311. I have a project network to do for the 4th exam. I know the exam may be different but if not, do you remember if you are able to just punch in the numbers to get the data (answers) you needed or was it a slow process of slowly going through and putting each in? Your right about I should have checked into this course first. I am probably going for my BLS (Excelsior) and to the best of my knowlege, this isn't a req'd course. I took it because I went out on disability early Nov (I go back Monday) and I wanted to knock out a few courses. Right after I satrted the course, my dad died and now I'm working my ass off to get done. I got total credit for the AE's but I lost 40 points on the first test (I worked like hell trying to get UCL/LCL but I kept getting N/A, I was able to get the mean) Anyway, is this a course where you use the software (POM & excel) a lot? I have but not too much. Anyway, back to the project network, do you have any recollection of whether I can just punch in the numbers? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gary
Gary Wrote:Snazz,
I have a question about MGMT 311. I have a project network to do for the 4th exam. I know the exam may be different but if not, do you remember if you are able to just punch in the numbers to get the data (answers) you needed or was it a slow process of slowly going through and putting each in?

Hi Gary,

Don't do all this work by hand. For the project network table, you can use a module in Excel OM2 to enter the data in. The module is available under the "Project Management" section.

It's a bit tricky to set it up but, if you enter the correct data, this module will give you everything you need at the touch of a button.

You can PM me if you would like me to give you more detailed instructions about how to set up the spreadsheet.

Hope this helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
Gary Wrote:Right after I satrted the course, my dad died and now I'm working my ass off to get done. I got total credit for the AE's but I lost 40 points on the first test (I worked like hell trying to get UCL/LCL but I kept getting N/A, I was able to get the mean) Anyway, is this a course where you use the software (POM & excel) a lot? I have but not too much.

Gary,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dad.

I think most people will agree that this course is MUCH easier if you use the software. This has been mentioned many times already.

If you find yourself doing a lot of mathematical calculations by hand, then you are probably not using the software enough.

I was able to complete the entire course without ever needing to use a calculator or complete any formulas by hand. It's all about knowing where to find the correct modules in the software.

It sounds like you are already close to finishing the course, but I will be more than happy to help you in any way I can. Assuming the correct use of the software, there is no need for anybody to struggle with this course.

Drop me a PM if you need any other assistance,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
I'm new here and I appreciate learning from those who are in the know, but I just had to post.

I have been reading here about the management 311 course. I went to the instructors web site and what does it show, Golden Cheese Company. Its funny because I worked there in the alcohol plant for 5 years during the 90's, Dermot O'brien was my manager. I wonder if any info in the book will conflict with practical application I have from working there?

How Funny hilarious.

BTW, Anyone ever had experience challenging science courses with work experience?
snazzlefrag Wrote:Gary,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dad.

I think most people will agree that this course is MUCH easier if you use the software. This has been mentioned many times already.

If you find yourself doing a lot of mathematical calculations by hand, then you are probably not using the software enough.

I was able to complete the entire course without ever needing to use a calculator or complete any formulas by hand. It's all about knowing where to find the correct modules in the software.

It sounds like you are already close to finishing the course, but I will be more than happy to help you in any way I can. Assuming the correct use of the software, there is no need for anybody to struggle with this course.

Drop me a PM if you need any other assistance,
Snazzlefrag
Just to add to this thread. I am almost done with this course and I didn't think it was all that easy. A lot was but there are sections that I thought were challenging. I am probably going to get a B but it has been a lot of work and I owe Judy a big thanks for her guidance. I have all my credits taking traditional courses w/the exception of taking American History years ago. As I stated in an earlier thread, if you know nothing about excel, I believe you will have a very challenging time w/this course. I am going against the grain w/everyone on this but that is what I feel. I have many A's and B's in traditional classes but this was a bear at times. My advice, and I say this because a lot of posts are based on wanting it NOW and taking the easier road (which is understandable), don't take this course if your not ready to put in the time. Someone stated in an earlier thread why did I jump into it w/out knowing exactly what it was. That was so right. I found this thread and thought, I'm going to take a quick and easy 3 credit upper level course. HA. The professor has been really fair at grading and he has responded quickly. I give him an A. If your lacking skills utilizing excel and programs such as that, stand by. It's more than just inputting info, you do need to know how to manipulate a few items. I struggled with that. The professor stated it looked like I may have had sofftware problems and my wife more than once told me it looked like that was the case. Did anyone else have this type of error? It was also very possibly, operator error. That's my 2 cents worth, does anybody have any change?? Thanks for your input Snazz. Thank you JUDY.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 3,017 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 2,186 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,705 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,710 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 2,081 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,477 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 2,076 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 5,447 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 5,066 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,437 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun