Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems Convincing Family?
I cannot be alone here. Has anyone else here had a hard time explaining CBE to family and loved ones?

I figured it wouldn't be easy, but I didn't think it would be this hard to explain. Obviously, my wife and family are a big part of the decisions I make. That is why Ive spent hours on here and other sites getting ever bit of information I could to support my plan. I even started a Powerpoint to break it down. While I will do what is best for me and my kids, my wife and father in-law(who is my bankroll), are still skeptical of how the degree they paid a ton for, worked so hard at, and spend so much to achieve, could be as cut and dry as this.

That all being said, can anyone help me out here? I have having provided the facts, but am looking for some unique methods that others have maybe used or seen. Anyone else ever seen a PowerPoint, perhaps someone well known and successful giving a testimonial or condoning CLEP?

I am honestly ashamed to reach out like this, but I've always been told there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Please help Smile
I like Josh Kaufman's approach: Hacking Higher Education, Part 1 - CLEP

I also found a curious knod to the Big 3 on the International Association of Emergency Managers website. These guys endorse the concept including FEMA credit yet their credential, the CEM, is an industry standard. A very strong endoresment in my field: EducationPart2

How about the fact that even Harvard University (at the extension school) accepts some clep Transfer Credit: Undergraduate Degrees You can find this example at many schools.

Here is the link to the exams accepted at the University of Florida as an example: https://catalog.ufl.edu/ugrad/current/ad...-info.aspx How about you google your in-laws school and clep together and see what you come up with.

I would also point out that the providers of CLEP, the College Board, is the same outfit that brings us the delights of the SAT exam....everyone's heard of that and it seems to lend an odd legitimacy in the mind of a doubter....sometimes. Smile

The best way to convince everyone is simply to succeed.

Best,
Reb
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Brilliant Reb!!! This material is perfect and exactly what I was hoping for. The Personal MBA is awesome, it also branches out to much more useful information.

I look forward to more, even if it isn't to sway anyones ignorance its fuel for the fire. The more I visit this site, the more confident I become about my future. In the 2 short weeks since I was referred to this world my whole mindset has changed.

Thanks to everyone here for participating. Knowledge is def power and there is no shortage of knowledge in this community.

Mike
rebel100 Wrote:I would also point out that the providers of CLEP, the College Board, is the same outfit that brings us the delights of the SAT exam....everyone's heard of that and it seems to lend an odd legitimacy in the mind of a doubter....sometimes. Smile
And they're a non-profit consortium of colleges, schools, etc. And they're also the people behind the Advanced Placement (AP) exams. A high school student who earns a stack of credit through AP exams is an academic star and their credit will be recognized at almost any school.

CLEP is the sister program to the AP tests, offered in the community to adult learners.

Meanwhile, the D in DSST was originally for the Defence Department; it was a successful program to offer credits to military personnel that was successfully opened up and privatized and are now offered by Prometric, who also do test administration for the MCAT, CPA and U.S. patent agent exams and others.

Major motion picture about Advanced Placement tests.

Bonus: Hit song about "grabbing credits, maybe transfers." ...Admittedly, the singer would rather gaze at his navel and kind of look down on the credit-grabbers. But he's not getting any credits for that, is he. :p
I don't know how old you are, but I have found a huge wall in this regard for older people is they still have a very old school primitive prejudice for brick and mortar schooling always being far above better than online or whatever. And to be fair, 30 years ago they would have probably been right to be highly sceptical.

I would approach it from what is finishing a class supposed to mean? It supposed to mean that you gained that segment of knowledge - right? These exams are nothing more than a test to see if you already have that knowledge. Some people will have gained lots of knowledge towards their degree and have more tests to show for it. Some won't either because they don't have that knowledge or didn't bother to learn about alternative methods of getting credit for it.

I'd also know tech and regulation of these places and options has improved tremendously. So much so that almost every school, including Harvard and other ivies, have some programs entirely by portfolio and online assessment/class.

Next I would show what degree you are Planning and the reputation of that degree field for that university.
M.
Mom of 11

Graduated 6, still home educating 5

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
pos 1113 american fed gov't (political sci.)
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
his 1493 american history civil war era - present
phi 1113 intro to philosophy
soc 1113 intro to sociology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

Start with a simple message. State that CLEP and DSST exams are essentially proctored college course final exams. Clarify that the exams include multiple choice, fill in the blank, and essay sections, depending on the subject matter. You aren't buying credits, you are paying for a final exam to be administered to you. You still have to know the material.

When I was a student at a nationally ranked top academic university, the final exam administered in freshman inorganic chemistry was the CLEP chemistry exam. How our students and students at other universities did on the CLEP was used to set the passing score for the CLEP exam nationally.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Just a quick update... With all of the feedback and time spent researching, I have a full support system behind me. I am signed up to test in 2 weeks and could not be more excited about the key to my success. Thank you all again for reaching out to me.
Mike H.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Working on a BSBA in Accounting from TESC. 68/120 credits done

First CLEP June 21, 2012

DSST:
CLEP: A&I Lit | Principles of Management
ALEKS:
SL: History II | Macro | Micro | Accounting I | Accounting II |
FEMA: Professional Development Series Cert |
Mhamilton5 Wrote:Just a quick update... With all of the feedback and time spent researching, I have a full support system behind me. I am signed up to test in 2 weeks and could not be more excited about the key to my success. Thank you all again for reaching out to me.

That's great news!! Good luck with your upcoming tests!
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Problems with bad AI checkers David1477 16 1,065 08-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: David1477
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 3,709 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  Accreditation problems for Ocean County College indigoshuffle 4 943 07-23-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Another article about transfer problems davewill 11 2,360 11-26-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Remote Proctor problems rlw74 7 1,974 03-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  New York State's New "Excelsior Scholarship" Full Tuition If Family Makes < $125,000 instant000 4 1,660 01-04-2017, 02:41 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Credit Evaluation Problems videogamesrock 9 1,679 07-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Western Civ 1 Instantcert problems Jesusfreak97 6 1,410 06-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Jesusfreak97
  Problems with Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct ACE Credit varJosh 12 3,880 06-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Last Post: alzee
  Problems with WGU MBA publius2k4 26 2,806 07-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Last Post: publius2k4