Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pierpont new residency requirement
(08-17-2024, 07:00 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: I checked out some more WV Community Colleges, and some others offer the BOG with only a 3 credit residency requirement "to establish institutional GPA". I am not sure if they have areas of emphasis though.
Do any of them accept ACE credits?
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
I have no idea.

I am also curious if DeAnza accepts ACE credits. Could not find anything about that on their website.
Here's the list of the colleges that belong to the system and should (in theory) offer the BOG program:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virgi...ege_System

I looked briefly at the websites of some of them. 12 graded RA credits seems to be the usual requirement, with 3 of those done directly at the institution. However, we don't really know to what extent these requirements are enforced and if they can be waived under any circumstances.
Pierpont always had the 12 credit requirement listed in the catalog, but until now allowed people to get the BOG with just 1 credit regardless. If anyone has the time and inclination to do more research and contact the BOG coordinators at these colleges, maybe a viable alternative to Pierpont can be found.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cro-magnon's post:
  • Pikachu
It looks like the residency requirement begins October 4th which is also the deadline for Fall graduation applications.  I wonder if you have enough to apply now if you can get in before the new rules.

Also and question which I cannot find the answer to,  In the link it talks about a GPA requirement of 2.0.

My daughter has an 1.34 from a local college  but has went on to gather many Sophia and Study credits and wanted to get her BOG.  Does the GPA just calculate based on the credits she is transferring or will they take for full GPA from the college including the classes she did not pass. Is that GPA new?
It's always been the GPA, you don't really need to worry until they enforce it, people have just used the 1 credit ASU class for the GPA for record keeping purposes. I would recommend to quickly apply for graduation as this is a 100% transfer in degree until October 4...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
This is going to make things difficult for me as was planning this route, however. rather than taking to winter to finish up everything Ill rush it to finish by end of this month instead in hopes of it working out. One thing that is not really explicit is. Should I apply only after I am done everything? Or is it better to apply now and send in the transfers in a couple weeks once I'm done?
thanks
(08-17-2024, 06:26 PM)bryceton Wrote: This is going to make things difficult for me as was planning this route, however. rather than taking to winter to finish up everything Ill rush it to finish by end of this month instead in hopes of it working out. One thing that is not really explicit is. Should I apply only after I am done everything? Or is it better to apply now and send in the transfers in a couple weeks once I'm done?
thanks

You'll want to apply right away to increase the chances of timely processing of your RA credits.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
(08-17-2024, 06:26 PM)bryceton Wrote: This is going to make things difficult for me as was planning this route, however. rather than taking to winter to finish up everything Ill rush it to finish by end of this month instead in hopes of it working out. One thing that is not really explicit is. Should I apply only after I am done everything? Or is it better to apply now and send in the transfers in a couple weeks once I'm done?
thanks

jg_nuy is correct, You'll want to apply right away to increase the chances of timely processing of your RA credits.

You may want to review the post of mine directly before yours - it mentioned about the same thing, quickly apply - in other words, apply immediately (even for graduation) before the October 4th changes...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
12 RA credits and 3 Residency credits seem to be the actual WV state requirement. I suspect Pierpont has that information wrong and got in trouble for not properly enforcing the RA requirement which was my only problem with the program. The entire purpose of this program was to help people who finished less than 2 years of college complete a degree it was never meant to allow the nonsense with the one RA credit course.

Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College:
  • 21 GE Credits
  • 12 RA Credits
  • 3 Residency Credits
Mountwest Community and Technical College:
  • 15 GE Credits
  • 12 RA Credits
  • 3 Residency Credits
West Virginia University at Parkersburg:
  • 15 GE Credits
  • 12 RA Credits
  • 3 Residency Credits

"Meet minimum of 12 credit hours from a regionally accredited higher education institution, including a minimum of three credits which must be earned from WVU Parkersburg, as per state mandate." - West Virginia University at Parkersburg

Here is more clarification on the program. The 12 RA credits are a requirement but the 3 Residency credits are not.

BOARD OF GOVERNORS ASSOCIATE IN APPLIED SCIENCE DEGREE COMPLETION PROGRAM (PDF)

V. RESIDENCY
  • Students must complete a residency requirement of 12 credit hours (passing grades only) from regionally accredited higher education institution. Petition for exception to the residency requirement may be made to the Chief Academic Officer of the host institution.
  • Residency shall be defined as being registered for officially approved coursework which will satisfy the degree program graduation requirements. Credit awarded through extrainstitutional credit will not count toward the 12 credit hour residency requirement.
  • The institution granting the degree may require the student to complete up to three credit hours at the host institution.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ares's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
(08-18-2024, 04:48 AM)Ares Wrote:
  • Students must complete a residency requirement of 12 credit hours (passing grades only) from regionally accredited higher education institution. Petition for exception to the residency requirement may be made to the Chief Academic Officer of the host institution.

Yeah, it looks like Pierpont has been using this exception clause very liberally, applying it to everyone rather than on a case-by-case basis as I guess was intended.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 Jkjy 29 1,745 2 hours ago
Last Post: delvin
  Pierpont BOG Associates - speedrun before residency changes millionwords 22 1,103 5 hours ago
Last Post: millionwords
  Pierpont BOG Progress AirborneAgent 10 1,163 Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 20 3,568 09-13-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Rest in peace, Pierpont BOG AAS? Robson 10 841 09-13-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: slaterjack
  Pierpont BOG inkwell 2 201 09-12-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pierpont BOG / 1 credit needed intheprocess 7 514 09-09-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: DThomas
  new here applied to Pierpont and Umpi doctorTorres 24 1,440 09-04-2024, 01:12 AM
Last Post: doctorTorres
  Alternatives to Pierpont BOG Jin Wang 13 946 08-30-2024, 05:39 AM
Last Post: doctorTorres
  Sophia to Pierpont The need 2 learn 45 7,206 08-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Tonyoliver097