Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Enrichment Question
I  have submitted the following questions to Jessica but knowing how busy she is currently with the deadline approaching's i figured Id ask the community incase any of you have the answers. 

1. In regards to getting multiple bachelor's degrees, how do the credits work? For example, if I wanted to finish my Bachelor of History and poly sci and then get a BABA, would the general ed and the electives be already fulfilled?
  2. How would this be different if doing them concurrently?
  3. How many Bachelor’s degrees can one earn? I have 2 in mind, however, UMPI has several topics programs that I find super interesting and want to learn solely for personal enrichment (and I understand after the 2nd bachelor's that financial aid no longer applies). 
  4. Do they need to be completed concurrently or can they be done consecutively?
  5. If done Consecutively will any general ed or electives need to be repeated or done in addition to?
  6. Is there a limit to the BA’s I can earn if I am paying out of pocket after the second conferral?
  7. Does the Yourpace program plan to add other options to the Graduate program?
  8. If doing additional BAs keeping in mind the 30 credit residency requirement for degree conferment, at what point would I need or plan to submit external credits?
  9. So the BA of History and Poly Sci has concentrations of History or Poly Sci:

Can I obtain a BA with a concentration of History and then a second BA with a concentration of Poly Sci? -OR- Can I obtain a BA with a double concentration in both?
  10. I would use the times between terms such as the holiday breaks to continue working on external alternative credits if possible to ensure that I continue learning such as SLPLLC, SDC, SL.   

11. If I wanted to obtain a BA in each program that is offered (not saying I would) would that be possible aside from the BLS?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jocon's post:
  • RachelB
(10-15-2023, 01:24 PM)Jocon Wrote: I  have submitted the following questions to Jessica but knowing how busy she is currently with the deadline approaching's i figured Id ask the community incase any of you have the answers. 

1. In regards to getting multiple bachelor's degrees, how do the credits work? For example, if I wanted to finish my Bachelor of History and poly sci and then get a BABA, would the general ed and the electives be already fulfilled?
  3. How many Bachelor’s degrees can one earn? I have 2 in mind, however, UMPI has several topics programs that I find super interesting and want to learn solely for personal enrichment (and I understand after the 2nd bachelor's that financial aid no longer applies). 
  5. If done Consecutively will any general ed or electives need to be repeated or done in addition to?
  6. Is there a limit to the BA’s I can earn if I am paying out of pocket after the second conferral?
  8. If doing additional BAs keeping in mind the 30 credit residency requirement for degree conferment, at what point would I need or plan to submit external credits?

Can I obtain a BA with a concentration of History and then a second BA with a concentration of Poly Sci? -OR- Can I obtain a BA with a double concentration in both?
  10. I would use the times between terms such as the holiday breaks to continue working on external alternative credits if possible to ensure that I continue learning such as SLPLLC, SDC, SL.   

11. If I wanted to obtain a BA in each program that is offered (not saying I would) would that be possible aside from the BLS?
Man, she 100% does not have the time to answer all of these lol

I can sum it up for you.

-You can get multiple degrees as long as you meet the major requirements. Gen eds are covered after the first go-around. If you have interests, just take classes where you see fit. Interests don't ALWAYS need to result in a degree.

-No active plans for more grad degrees right now per my discussion with UMPI staff. WGU has more options.

-No, you pick your History and Poli Sci concentration. You are free to take as many classes as you want, but the degree is going to have one concentration and the diploma will look the same regardless. 

It's all well and good to get multiple degrees but when you apply for jobs and have 4 BAs from the same uni, it's going to raise some eyebrows about the quality of education. Don't be that guy. I like the gusto but its easy to have gusto before you start.
[-] The following 2 users Like Duneranger's post:
  • NapoleonInRags, RachelB
(10-15-2023, 09:52 PM)Duneranger Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 01:24 PM)Jocon Wrote: I  have submitted the following questions to Jessica but knowing how busy she is currently with the deadline approaching's i figured Id ask the community incase any of you have the answers. 

Man, she 100% does not have the time to answer all of these lol

I can sum it up for you.

-You can get multiple degrees as long as you meet the major requirements. Gen eds are covered after the first go-around. If you have interests, just take classes where you see fit. Interests don't ALWAYS need to result in a degree.

-No active plans for more grad degrees right now per my discussion with UMPI staff. WGU has more options.

-No, you pick your History and Poli Sci concentration. You are free to take as many classes as you want, but the degree is going to have one concentration and the diploma will look the same regardless. 

It's all well and good to get multiple degrees but when you apply for jobs and have 4 BAs from the same uni, it's going to raise some eyebrows about the quality of education. Don't be that guy. I like the gusto but its easy to have gusto before you start.
Good summation. I’m sure Jessica thanks you. One thing the op can do if he has multiple degrees is to only list the one that aligns with the job he’s applying for. I sure wouldn’t list 4 bachelors degrees on a job app. Or resume. Tailor the resume to fit the job.
Not sure why you're asking about these questions, even for personal reasons, you should focus on your current goal of finishing first, here's your previous thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...AND-BEYOND

There is just one thing you need to know, if you're going for a first degree, and want to come back for a BAS or BLS, you can't.  The BAS/BLS has to be the first degree, otherwise you can have as many BA/BABA options you want.  Unlike Excelsior, TESU, and some other institutions, I don't recall UMPI having a restriction on two bachelors from them.

Another thing, you're referring to double major and dual degree in the same set of questions, there are differences.  A double major is getting something like a BA Accounting and BA Business Admin, they're both BA and thus you can have two majors in Accounting and Business Admin.  A dual degree is slightly different, you're graduating from one, then the other.

My suggestion for you is to do a BLS with a double or a triple minor of your choice as you have so many various credits that can't go anywhere but the electives field, your second degree can be the BABA with some other concentration, this way you can be well versed in say History, Political Science, and also a concentration in Business.  This is considered a dual degree as they're BA and BLS.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • NapoleonInRags
She actually did rather quickly email me back with the answers, here is a her response... In red. 

Quote:1.       In regards to getting multiple bachelor's degrees, how do the credits work? For example, if I wanted to finish my Bachelor of History and poly sci and then get a BABA, would the general ed and the electives be already fulfilled?
a.       How would this be different if doing them concurrently?
2.       How many Bachelor’s degrees can one earn? I have 2 in mind, however, UMPI has several topics programs that I find super interesting and want to learn solely for personal enrichment (and I understand after the 2nd bachelor's that financial aid no longer applies).
a.       Do they need to be completed concurrently or can they be done consecutively?
b.       If done Consecutively will any general ed or electives need to be repeated or done in addition to?
c.       Is there a limit to the BA’s I can earn if I am paying out of pocket after the second conferral?
Dual Baccalaureate Degrees
A student may earn multiple degrees provided they are different. The Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) degree and the Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree may not be declared as a dual (secondary) degree, as both were designed with broad requirements to target a specific population. In order to receive additional degrees, the following conditions must be met: (1) The first degree must have been awarded; (2) The student must apply through Admissions for subsequent degrees; (3) A minimum number of credits must be earned beyond the total hours earned for the previous degree: 15 for each additional Associate, 30 for each additional Baccalaureate.
Double Majors
Double majors are possible within a single baccalaureate degree. Both majors may be within the same college, or they may be in different colleges. Students may complete two different majors simultaneously with no prescribed increase in total credits beyond those required to satisfy both majors. The University does not guarantee that any double major combination will be possible to complete within four years. Students pursuing the degrees of Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) or Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) are not permitted to declare a second major, nor may the BLS or BAS be declared as a second major for any student.
The student will choose a primary major and that major will be listed first on the diploma.
Requests for double majors are made through the student’s professional academic advisor and must be declared no later than the first semester of the senior year. The student must declare a primary major. The baccalaureate degree granted will be that associated with the primary major, and the student is required to satisfy all of the requirements imposed by that college. To complete the second major, the student need only complete the specific requirements established for that major. The primary and secondary majors will be noted both on the diploma and on the transcript, worded according to the following example: Bachelor of Science in Biology, with a second major in Art, or Bachelor of Art in Studio Art, with a second major in Biology (depending upon which is designated the primary major).

3.       Does the Yourpace program plan to add other options to the Graduate program? At some point but I do not know when or what. 
4.       If doing additional BAs keeping in mind the 30 credit residency requirement for degree conferment, at what point would I need or plan to submit external credits? You need to submit all credits before your degree can be enrolled. 
a.       I would use the times between terms such as the holiday breaks to continue working on external alternative credits if possible to ensure that I continue learning such as SLPLLC, SDC, SL.
5.       I know this question is prolyl not in your wheelhouse, but with the growth of the program what would be the employment opportunities at UMPI for someone who has completed the yourpace program? We are currently going through rounds of interviews for two positions we are hiring.  I'm not sure what positions will be open in the future. 
a.       I  love learning especially things that I have a passion or interest in, and if I can share that passion and interest with others I would find that a win win.
6.       So the BA of History and Poly Sci has concentrations of History or Poly Sci:
a.       Can I obtain a BA with a double concentration in both? Yes
b.       Can I obtain a BA with a concentration of History and then a second BA with a concentration of Poly Sci? You can recieve one BA with two concentrations. 
7.       If I wanted to obtain a BA in each program that is offered (not saying I would) would that be possible? For each BA that is offered in YourPace? Sure

It has nothing to do with jobs to get several, There are 5 degree paths that I find super intriguing and Ill call it the Pokemon Syndrome ... (Got to catch em all). and Honestly, the affordability of UMPI makes  getting several degrees possible for me, there for... the question is not Why but instead "Why Not"

BAS and BLS are not in my thoughts, as I want specific degrees 

Quote:Not sure why you're asking about these questions, even for personal reasons,
Simply because I am an Over Planner, and gather information and research everything I can on a matter when i am considering it.
I missed question #5 earlier. UMPI doesn't hire anyone who isn't physically located in the state of Maine. Whether your degree is from UMPI or Harvard or whatever, they can't/won't hire you if you're located anywhere else.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-18-2023, 12:13 AM)Jocon Wrote: She actually did rather quickly email me back with the answers, here is a her response... In red. 

Quote:1.       In regards to getting multiple bachelor's degrees, how do the credits work? For example, if I wanted to finish my Bachelor of History and poly sci and then get a BABA, would the general ed and the electives be already fulfilled?
2.       How many Bachelor’s degrees can one earn? I have 2 in mind, however, UMPI has several topics programs that I find super interesting and want to learn solely for personal enrichment (and I understand after the 2nd bachelor's that financial aid no longer applies).
a.       Do they need to be completed concurrently or can they be done consecutively?
b.       If done Consecutively will any general ed or electives need to be repeated or done in addition to?
c.       Is there a limit to the BA’s I can earn if I am paying out of pocket after the second conferral?
A student may earn multiple degrees provided they are different. The Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) degree and the Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree may not be declared as a dual (secondary) degree, as both were designed with broad requirements to target a specific population. In order to receive additional degrees, the following conditions must be met: (1) The first degree must have been awarded; (2) The student must apply through Admissions for subsequent degrees; (3) A minimum number of credits must be earned beyond the total hours earned for the previous degree: 15 for each additional Associate, 30 for each additional Baccalaureate.
Double Majors
Double majors are possible within a single baccalaureate degree. Both majors may be within the same college, or they may be in different colleges. Students may complete two different majors simultaneously with no prescribed increase in total credits beyond those required to satisfy both majors. The University does not guarantee that any double major combination will be possible to complete within four years. Students pursuing the degrees of Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) or Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) are not permitted to declare a second major, nor may the BLS or BAS be declared as a second major for any student.
The student will choose a primary major and that major will be listed first on the diploma.
Requests for double majors are made through the student’s professional academic advisor and must be declared no later than the first semester of the senior year. The student must declare a primary major. The baccalaureate degree granted will be that associated with the primary major, and the student is required to satisfy all of the requirements imposed by that college. To complete the second major, the student need only complete the specific requirements established for that major. The primary and secondary majors will be noted both on the diploma and on the transcript, worded according to the following example: Bachelor of Science in Biology, with a second major in Art, or Bachelor of Art in Studio Art, with a second major in Biology (depending upon which is designated the primary major).

3.       Does the Yourpace program plan to add other options to the Graduate program? At some point but I do not know when or what. 
4.       If doing additional BAs keeping in mind the 30 credit residency requirement for degree conferment, at what point would I need or plan to submit external credits? You need to submit all credits before your degree can be enrolled. 
a.       I would use the times between terms such as the holiday breaks to continue working on external alternative credits if possible to ensure that I continue learning such as SLPLLC, SDC, SL.
5.       I know this question is prolyl not in your wheelhouse, but with the growth of the program what would be the employment opportunities at UMPI for someone who has completed the yourpace program? We are currently going through rounds of interviews for two positions we are hiring.  I'm not sure what positions will be open in the future. 
a.       I  love learning especially things that I have a passion or interest in, and if I can share that passion and interest with others I would find that a win win.
6.       So the BA of History and Poly Sci has concentrations of History or Poly Sci:
b.       Can I obtain a BA with a concentration of History and then a second BA with a concentration of Poly Sci? You can recieve one BA with two concentrations. 
7.       If I wanted to obtain a BA in each program that is offered (not saying I would) would that be possible? For each BA that is offered in YourPace? Sure

It has nothing to do with jobs to get several, There are 5 degree paths that I find super intriguing and Ill call it the Pokemon Syndrome ... (Got to catch em all). and Honestly, the affordability of UMPI makes  getting several degrees possible for me, there for... the question is not Why but instead "Why Not"

Quote:Not sure why you're asking about these questions, even for personal reasons,
Simply because I am an Over Planner, and gather information and research everything I can on a matter when i am considering it.
Again, you can take as many Poly sci and History classes as you want, but the degree is going to look the same. The two concentrations are sort of moot past the first one.

I would say two major/degrees makes sense, but at some point, you are just burning time. Much better to invest that time in another grad program relevant to your career path or personal goals. If your goal is to truly learn and not just a complex to collect random degrees, I think you would find grad courses more fulfilling.

But hey it's your life.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • RachelB
I honestly wouldn’t mind knocking out a couple masters from UMPI and WGU but I’m gun shy on the subscription. A 2 term WGU masters isn’t much of a savings in time or money and then if I can’t finish in 2 then it’s really in the hole. So one term is the objective , but what I’ve heard isn’t realistic.
AFAIK, a 1-term Master's at WGU heavily depends on which degree you're seeking. Some are more realistic, and possible, than a 1-term Bachelor's degree. But a lot of it obviously depends on how familiar you are with the topics in question.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-18-2023, 11:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: AFAIK, a 1-term Master's at WGU heavily depends on which degree you're seeking. Some are more realistic, and possible, than a 1-term Bachelor's degree. But a lot of it obviously depends on how familiar you are with the topics in question.
Which ones are most realistic? I’ve read maybe msml is maybe one.

(10-18-2023, 09:03 AM):)Dunerange Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 12:13 AM)Jocon Wrote: She actually did rather quickly email me back with the answers, here is a her response... In red. 

Double Majors

Again, you can take as many Poly sci and History classes as you want, but the degree is going to look the same. The two concentrations are sort of moot past the first one.

I would say two major/degrees makes sense, but at some point, you are just burning time. Much better to invest that time in another grad program relevant to your career path or personal goals. If your goal is to truly learn and not just a complex to collect random degrees, I think you would find grad courses more fulfilling.

But hey it's your life.

https://www.ristopakarinen.com/wordpress...lesman.jpg

This kinda comes to mind.  Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Personal Progress Thread DavidGood 8 447 4 hours ago
Last Post: DavidGood
  MAOL - Save For Last Class Question CCCollege 1 142 09-22-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: joshua27
Question Transfer credit question Educated Wombat 8 351 09-22-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: allvia
Question GEC Sophia credit question ecrane100 5 410 08-15-2024, 12:50 PM
Last Post: tdat314
Rainbow UMPI Gen Eds leftover credits question ecomony 4 433 07-16-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BLS Degree Options Question dm.hans32 3 461 04-17-2024, 10:17 AM
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 713 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Parchment Question mikehart82 7 1,576 03-25-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Commencement question (YourPace) rrrr 4 607 02-21-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI B.A.S MIS minor Eligibility Question Nobi 7 773 02-17-2024, 02:31 PM