Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn Foster Textbooks
So, I am taking 3 courses at PF, Financial Management, International Business, Strategic Management. I just got my books before the weekend and wow, what huge soft cover books! Yikes, it's gonna be a lengthy read but I may just skim through them for the open book exams.

Anyone notice it seems to be made specifically for Penn Foster by McGraw Hill? The cover has Penn Foster course info on it instead of the hard cover or other soft cover for the specific texts. But when you review the pages, it seems like a photocopy or simple printer printout of the text. Is that what they do for all texts?
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I got my Strategic Management book last week for the PF class and mine is the same way. It's the crafting and executing strategy book. I'm not sure how much of the book I'll even read other than the Southwest Airlines information for the final project. The exams are fairly easy to find answers to (two completed), however I've yet to do a discussion board post so I might have to crack it open for those.
I have only received one book that wasn't that way.
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
bjcheung77 Wrote:So, I am taking 3 courses at PF, Financial Management, International Business, Strategic Management. I just got my books before the weekend and wow, what huge soft cover books! Yikes, it's gonna be a lengthy read but I may just skim through them for the open book exams.

Anyone notice it seems to be made specifically for Penn Foster by McGraw Hill? The cover has Penn Foster course info on it instead of the hard cover or other soft cover for the specific texts. But when you review the pages, it seems like a photocopy or simple printer printout of the text. Is that what they do for all texts?

Just to add - the books are included with tuition, that's a plus. I was able to sell mine for profit Smile its a win win
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
By the description, I would assume this to be the international version of the book with a Penn Foster cover. Back when I took my courses they provided the retail version so you could quickly sell and recoup some of the investment. The only PF books (more like study guides) I received was for the technical and business writing course. Guess they set up a contract to print the less expensive version to save money. Makes sense, although you will not be able to get the gong rate for this print.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I never received a book for Financial Management - although I go the stupid calculator that I could never figure out how to use. I got the online version with the course, I didn't even know they sent out regular books to people.

BTW, the Crafting & Executing Strategy is the same textbook they use for the TECEP. Good to know, if I don't pass the TECEP I can always just sign up for the PF course and already have read the book.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I received the basic finance book along with the calculator in 2010. After the course I quickly sold it along with the consumer behavior book on amazon. I only kept the intermediate accounting book because it had no resale value; outdated and too heavy (pricey) to ship.

Judging from feedback received from forum members, PF went from the retail version to online access to this new school print version. I'm only guessing they were still in the process of hammering out the contract when the online access to texts was offered. As an institution, it would just seem silly to provide an online book when the courses are correspondence structured (snail mail exams). But then who really knows what goes on behind the scenes. :confused:

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:I received the basic finance book along with the calculator in 2010. After the course I quickly sold it along with the consumer behavior book on amazon. I only kept the intermediate accounting book because it had no resale value; outdated and too heavy (pricey) to ship.

Judging from feedback received from forum members, PF went from the retail version to online access to this new school print version. I'm only guessing they were still in the process of hammering out the contract when the online access to texts was offered. As an institution, it would just seem silly to provide an online book when the courses are correspondence structured (snail mail exams). But then who really knows what goes on behind the scenes. :confused:

I just took the Financial Management course earlier this year. But, maybe because there were no snail-mail exams for that course, they didn't feel the need to mail me a textbook? All of my stuff was done online, except the final, which I had to print out and then create a Word doc to answer the questions and scan and upload it back to them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I just took the Financial Management course earlier this year. But, maybe because there were no snail-mail exams for that course, they didn't feel the need to mail me a textbook? All of my stuff was done online, except the final, which I had to print out and then create a Word doc to answer the questions and scan and upload it back to them.

Same for my accounting course, final was uploaded. You might call the workforce dev number and complain. Wouldn't surprise me if they mailed out a book.

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
Financial management has an Ebook, they don't mail one for that course. At least they didn't when I took it.
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Perlego: Startup for "all you can read" textbooks bjcheung77 7 1,336 09-08-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 617 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Canadians that lived in foster care, free university cerich67 3 1,361 01-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Davissio
  Penn Foster College Ace Credit Expirations okikuma 15 4,676 05-18-2021, 03:29 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Credit Providers that uses real textbooks? msa145 4 1,168 04-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  Penn Foster Acquired Ashworth sanantone 2 1,637 09-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Textbooks—Huge, Expensive, and Out of Print pws 1 1,749 04-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Penn Foster High School Transfer Credits TrailRunr 18 6,719 02-08-2019, 08:08 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Penn Foster HRM210 and Penn Foster discussion boards EI2HCB 2 3,233 12-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Last Post: EI2HCB
  Cheap textbooks. Danielp 7 2,532 08-27-2018, 07:37 AM
Last Post: eLearner