Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info
Hello,
So, I'm registered and doing 3 courses through Penn Foster. Strategic Business Management, International Business, Financial Management.
I was looking at the syllabus for these three and there may be a mistake somewhere for Strategic Business Management, the other two OK.

COURSE MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Textbook: Crafting and Executing Strategy
Study guide: Strategic Business Management

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Reading assignments, discussion boards, webinars

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson examinations, graded project
Lesson examinations (4); discussion boards (4); Webinars (3) 67%
Final (proctored) 33% <<== This should be the Graded Project, there shouldn't be a Final Exam

Textbook: International Business: The Challenge of Global Competition
Study guide: International Business

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Textbook, study guide, webinar

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson exams, discussion boards, graded project, proctored exam
Lesson exams (4), discussion boards (4), graded project 67%
Final (proctored) 33%

Textbook: Basic Finance: An Introduction to Financial Institutions, Investments & Management, 10th Edition
Study Guide: Financial Management

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Textbook, study guide

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson exams, final exam
Lesson exams (5) 67%
Final exam 33%

My questions are the following:
1) Within the syllabus there are some extra assignments and quizzes, should I skip these if the are no grades for them, and just work on the graded materials.
2) Are most of the answers already in the Study Guide? Can I just use that instead of both the Study Guide and Text Book
My textbooks haven't arrived for the courses yet and I want to get a head start.
3) For International Business, there are webinars, but I don't think they are going to be graded for participation. Do I need to attend those?
4) I see there are discussion boards, what exactly do we do in the discussion board? Is it just answering questions?
5) Would you recommend the textbook or ebook versions of them? I'll search online for their counterparts, maybe easier to search.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
As someone mentioned in another post don't go by the syllabus. Just complete the exams that show up under my courses and the webinars. I think the only other thing is the paper that's due, however I could be wrong on that. The syllabus is confusing, but we have people on here who just completed the course who are here to help and can provide more information if I'm wrong.
I'm in my last webinar for strategic management. The paper on Southwest Airlines is the final. Took about 10 days to get graded. So, only the test quizzes, webinars, discussion posts, and final are required.

Can't speak to your other course.
WGU MSML complete 3/2018
TESU 2016 BSBA graduate
bjcheung77 Wrote:Hello,
So, I'm registered and doing 3 courses through Penn Foster. Strategic Business Management, International Business, Financial Management.
I was looking at the syllabus for these three and there may be a mistake somewhere for Strategic Business Management, the other two OK.

Textbook: Crafting and Executing Strategy
Study guide: Strategic Business Management

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Reading assignments, discussion boards, webinars

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson examinations, graded project
Lesson examinations (4); discussion boards (4); Webinars (3) 67%
Final (proctored) 33% <<== This should be the Graded Project, there shouldn't be a Final Exam

Textbook: International Business: The Challenge of Global Competition
Study guide: International Business

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Textbook, study guide, webinar

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson exams, discussion boards, graded project, proctored exam
Lesson exams (4), discussion boards (4), graded project 67%
Final (proctored) 33%

Textbook: Basic Finance: An Introduction to Financial Institutions, Investments & Management, 10th Edition
Study Guide: Financial Management

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Textbook, study guide

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson exams, final exam
Lesson exams (5) 67%
Final exam 33%

My questions are the following:
1) Within the syllabus there are some extra assignments and quizzes, should I skip these if the are no grades for them, and just work on the graded materials.
2) Are most of the answers already in the Study Guide? Can I just use that instead of both the Study Guide and Text Book
My textbooks haven't arrived for the courses yet and I want to get a head start.
3) For International Business, there are webinars, but I don't think they are going to be graded for participation. Do I need to attend those?
4) I see there are discussion boards, what exactly do we do in the discussion board? Is it just answering questions?
5) Would you recommend the textbook or ebook versions of them? I'll search online for their counterparts, maybe easier to search.

1 - Yes, skip those and only do the graded assignments that are listed on the main screen under your course heading.
2 - There may be some answers in the study guide, but I would not say all are. The study guide is a synopsis of the chapter.
3 - Yes, the webinars must be attended and they are for a participation grade.
4 - Yes, you will answer a question(s). Just answer it in 3-5 sentences and you will be fine. I don't think anyone grades them, but is a participation grade.
5- I have always used the book they sent.
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
AngelaP Wrote:1 - Yes, skip those and only do the graded assignments that are listed on the main screen under your course heading.
2 - There may be some answers in the study guide, but I would not say all are. The study guide is a synopsis of the chapter.
3 - Yes, the webinars must be attended and they are for a participation grade.
4 - Yes, you will answer a question(s). Just answer it in 3-5 sentences and you will be fine. I don't think anyone grades them, but is a participation grade.
5- I have always used the book they sent.

Thanks, I was just wanting to make sure. This should speed things up a bit, I should be able to get the 3 webinars done each a week.
I'll work on the exams and project, and in about 4 weeks, I should be good for the final grading. Wish me luck :coolgleam:

I hope I'm not going to need the book for this webinar to answer any questions she might ask as I have yet to receive mine. Good luck to us all who are trying to complete thisbanghead
I am scheduled for the webinar today at 7pm, however, I have not received the book yet! Should I reschedule my first webinar?
Btaylor89 Wrote:I am scheduled for the webinar today at 7pm, however, I have not received the book yet! Should I reschedule my first webinar?

You can still attend it, no book is necessary.
Nixi Wrote:You can still attend it, no book is necessary.

It's a Webinar, they just talk, nothing in regards to the text, you can take it anytime.
I have a question, there's people in the webinar and it's their third one.

When registering for the webinars, it allows options for two days apart.
If my guess is correct, it should allow you to do the second and third within the next week.
If I can do two - a week, can't that course be finished in a shorter time?

Update: Nevermind the question, it was my other courses that I can register the webinar for.
The courses webinar are 1 week apart. *sigh* I had my hopes up for some brief moment.

bjcheung77 Wrote:It's a Webinar, they just talk, nothing in regards to the text, you can take it anytime.
I have a question, there's people in the webinar and it's their third one.

When registering for the webinars, it allows options for two days apart.
If my guess is correct, it should allow you to do the second and third within the next week.
If I can do two - a week, can't that course be finished in a shorter time?

Are you sure you're not getting webinars mixed up with your International Business course? For Strategic Business Management, there is only one webinar held per week. I just logged in and I'm only seeing today May 24, June 31, and June 7.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Analytics Courses - Maven Analytics Vle045 3 517 09-16-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 56 9,681 09-12-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: slammX
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 347 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,722 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
  Are discussion questions becoming irrelevant with AI?? Vle045 26 1,332 08-19-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,650 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 347 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,374 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Closed Sophia Courses BritStudent 5 496 07-10-2024, 06:16 PM
  Reasonably priced upper-division RA math courses Ivo Lah 5 576 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM