Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info (/Thread-Penn-Foster-Courses-Questions-on-Syllabus-Info)

Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info - bjcheung77 - 05-24-2016

Hello,
So, I'm registered and doing 3 courses through Penn Foster. Strategic Business Management, International Business, Financial Management.
I was looking at the syllabus for these three and there may be a mistake somewhere for Strategic Business Management, the other two OK.

COURSE MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
Textbook: Crafting and Executing Strategy
Study guide: Strategic Business Management

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Reading assignments, discussion boards, webinars

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson examinations, graded project
Lesson examinations (4); discussion boards (4); Webinars (3) 67%
Final (proctored) 33% <<== This should be the Graded Project, there shouldn't be a Final Exam

Textbook: International Business: The Challenge of Global Competition
Study guide: International Business

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Textbook, study guide, webinar

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson exams, discussion boards, graded project, proctored exam
Lesson exams (4), discussion boards (4), graded project 67%
Final (proctored) 33%

Textbook: Basic Finance: An Introduction to Financial Institutions, Investments & Management, 10th Edition
Study Guide: Financial Management

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Textbook, study guide

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson exams, final exam
Lesson exams (5) 67%
Final exam 33%

My questions are the following:
1) Within the syllabus there are some extra assignments and quizzes, should I skip these if the are no grades for them, and just work on the graded materials.
2) Are most of the answers already in the Study Guide? Can I just use that instead of both the Study Guide and Text Book
My textbooks haven't arrived for the courses yet and I want to get a head start.
3) For International Business, there are webinars, but I don't think they are going to be graded for participation. Do I need to attend those?
4) I see there are discussion boards, what exactly do we do in the discussion board? Is it just answering questions?
5) Would you recommend the textbook or ebook versions of them? I'll search online for their counterparts, maybe easier to search.

Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info - tsimmns - 05-24-2016

As someone mentioned in another post don't go by the syllabus. Just complete the exams that show up under my courses and the webinars. I think the only other thing is the paper that's due, however I could be wrong on that. The syllabus is confusing, but we have people on here who just completed the course who are here to help and can provide more information if I'm wrong.

Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info - ftsfour1 - 05-24-2016

I'm in my last webinar for strategic management. The paper on Southwest Airlines is the final. Took about 10 days to get graded. So, only the test quizzes, webinars, discussion posts, and final are required.

Can't speak to your other course.

Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info - AngelaP - 05-24-2016

bjcheung77 Wrote:Hello,
So, I'm registered and doing 3 courses through Penn Foster. Strategic Business Management, International Business, Financial Management.
I was looking at the syllabus for these three and there may be a mistake somewhere for Strategic Business Management, the other two OK.

Textbook: Crafting and Executing Strategy
Study guide: Strategic Business Management

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Reading assignments, discussion boards, webinars

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson examinations, graded project
Lesson examinations (4); discussion boards (4); Webinars (3) 67%
Final (proctored) 33% <<== This should be the Graded Project, there shouldn't be a Final Exam

Textbook: International Business: The Challenge of Global Competition
Study guide: International Business

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Textbook, study guide, webinar

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson exams, discussion boards, graded project, proctored exam
Lesson exams (4), discussion boards (4), graded project 67%
Final (proctored) 33%

Textbook: Basic Finance: An Introduction to Financial Institutions, Investments & Management, 10th Edition
Study Guide: Financial Management

METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Textbook, study guide

METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
Lesson exams, final exam
Lesson exams (5) 67%
Final exam 33%

My questions are the following:
1) Within the syllabus there are some extra assignments and quizzes, should I skip these if the are no grades for them, and just work on the graded materials.
2) Are most of the answers already in the Study Guide? Can I just use that instead of both the Study Guide and Text Book
My textbooks haven't arrived for the courses yet and I want to get a head start.
3) For International Business, there are webinars, but I don't think they are going to be graded for participation. Do I need to attend those?
4) I see there are discussion boards, what exactly do we do in the discussion board? Is it just answering questions?
5) Would you recommend the textbook or ebook versions of them? I'll search online for their counterparts, maybe easier to search.

1 - Yes, skip those and only do the graded assignments that are listed on the main screen under your course heading.
2 - There may be some answers in the study guide, but I would not say all are. The study guide is a synopsis of the chapter.
3 - Yes, the webinars must be attended and they are for a participation grade.
4 - Yes, you will answer a question(s). Just answer it in 3-5 sentences and you will be fine. I don't think anyone grades them, but is a participation grade.
5- I have always used the book they sent.

AngelaP Wrote:1 - Yes, skip those and only do the graded assignments that are listed on the main screen under your course heading.
2 - There may be some answers in the study guide, but I would not say all are. The study guide is a synopsis of the chapter.
3 - Yes, the webinars must be attended and they are for a participation grade.
4 - Yes, you will answer a question(s). Just answer it in 3-5 sentences and you will be fine. I don't think anyone grades them, but is a participation grade.
5- I have always used the book they sent.

Thanks, I was just wanting to make sure. This should speed things up a bit, I should be able to get the 3 webinars done each a week.
I'll work on the exams and project, and in about 4 weeks, I should be good for the final grading. Wish me luck :coolgleam:

Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info - tsimmns - 05-24-2016

I hope I'm not going to need the book for this webinar to answer any questions she might ask as I have yet to receive mine. Good luck to us all who are trying to complete thisbanghead

Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info - azt579 - 05-24-2016

I am scheduled for the webinar today at 7pm, however, I have not received the book yet! Should I reschedule my first webinar?

Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info - Nixi - 05-24-2016

Btaylor89 Wrote:I am scheduled for the webinar today at 7pm, however, I have not received the book yet! Should I reschedule my first webinar?

You can still attend it, no book is necessary.

Nixi Wrote:You can still attend it, no book is necessary.

It's a Webinar, they just talk, nothing in regards to the text, you can take it anytime.
I have a question, there's people in the webinar and it's their third one.

When registering for the webinars, it allows options for two days apart.
If my guess is correct, it should allow you to do the second and third within the next week.
If I can do two - a week, can't that course be finished in a shorter time?

Update: Nevermind the question, it was my other courses that I can register the webinar for.
The courses webinar are 1 week apart. *sigh* I had my hopes up for some brief moment.

Penn Foster Courses - Questions on Syllabus Info - Nixi - 05-24-2016

bjcheung77 Wrote:It's a Webinar, they just talk, nothing in regards to the text, you can take it anytime.
I have a question, there's people in the webinar and it's their third one.

When registering for the webinars, it allows options for two days apart.
If my guess is correct, it should allow you to do the second and third within the next week.
If I can do two - a week, can't that course be finished in a shorter time?

Are you sure you're not getting webinars mixed up with your International Business course? For Strategic Business Management, there is only one webinar held per week. I just logged in and I'm only seeing today May 24, June 31, and June 7.