Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLEASE help, math clep!!!!!
PLEASE help me!!!!!

I have been studying 2 months for the college math clep and I am just passing the practice exams. i used comex, rea and the web.

Is the clep algebra exam easier?? i only need 3 math credits. i am completely math phobic but have no problem with equations etc. i am just not getting graphing functions.

THANK YOU!!!! i had planned to take the exam this week but now I'm confused.....
Try purplemath.com for graphs of functions. There are some great animations and very clear explanations.
DSST - Human Geography - 69
DSST - Substance Abuse - 466
DSST - Organizational Behavior - 74
DSST - Rise and Fall of Soviet Union - 64

CLEP - Humanities - 79
CLEP - American Literature - 75
From what I understand, College Mathematics should be easier than College Algebra, because College Math is more basic while Algebra is more complex. I only took College Algebra though, so I am not sure how they compare. If you are better at algebra specifically, then math in general, you could take the algebra test, otherwise, College Math should be the easiest.
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
College Math is (IMHO) much easier than College Algebra. I personally didn't have much trouble with C. Math (I'm a math tutor Smile) but did help my best friend - math is not her thing - prepare for it. She used the REA book, COMEX book, and my old high-school textbook.

She studied (intensely) for about two months. She took the test after passing the CLEP Official practice test with a few points to spare. She passed (with a better grade than she had gotten on the practice test - so proud of her!).

Free-clep-prep has a nice overview of the College Mathematics CLEP, as well as some very useful links. Purplemath is definitely a great resource, and so is coolmath.
He is risen!
MMM you make me feel much better. on the REA i'm scoring almost 30/60 which completely sucks, i know. i am doing a hair better on the practice cleps. is there are curve on the cleps? i would love to get 40/60 on my practice exams but i just dont know if that's happening.

is the real exam easier than the practice cleps or about the same?????????????

thanks much =)
Hi, I'm a math major at Excelsior, almost done. I can't speak to the specifics of the CLEP or REA as all of my credits are in-class. But are you under pressure to get this test done immediately or at least very soon? I ask that because I've frequently run into things in different math classes over the years that I simply "couldn't get", but now I do and all that I did was step away from it for a while. When I came back to it I "got it", and with much less effort and worry. If you can afford to take the time, and can fill that time constructively with something else, maybe you should back off of it for a spell.

More to your specific trouble, you sound like you are a "verbal" thinker versus a "visuospatial" thinker, e.g. equations give you no trouble to the point that you are thinking about changing to the Algebra CLEP but graphing functions is a sticking point for you. If I'm right then I'd suggest you might actually have a breakthrough if you studied sets more deeply, even more deeply than is required for the College Math CLEP. I say that because I've taken upper-level math classes that go much more in depth with sets then the CLEPs do and in those classes we were taught how functions are defined in set theory. Honestly, it seems everything in maths can/are defined using "set builder notation". This might give you a chance to understand graphed functions in a verbal context, as functions defined using sets by definition don't require you to literally see them, only understand the written description. If you go that route don't go crazy with it: in an upper-level set theory textbook the building of functions is chapter one type stuff. You definitely don't want to waste time tackling too much stuff you won't have on the CLEP. Good luck!
Hi all

Any tips for college mathematics exam please. I m taking tomorrow...please help I m very nervous
Any topics to stress?
Thank you.
umarajesh24 Wrote:Hi all

Any tips for college mathematics exam please. I m taking tomorrow...please help I m very nervous
Any topics to stress?
Thank you.

have you done the practice clep for college math? i think u can download it from their site. if u do it, please let me know if the exam is similar. i'm also sooooo nervous, i'm taking it on monday!!!!! the best i've done on the practice is 34/60 (i was happy, how pathetic =) though i'm aiming for a 40/60=)
Quote:is the real exam easier than the practice cleps or about the same?????????????

I asked my friend (who recently took the Math CLEP) how it compared to the REA practice tests and CLEP Offical practice test. She said:

"...the REA practice tests 1 & 2 were much harder. The REA practice 3 was much easier. The actual math difficulty level of the real test was between REA test 3 and the CLEP Official practice test."

Hope this helps!
He is risen!
MMM that helps, thanks! i also thought the REA was harder!!!!
KAZ thanks for your advice, i will try it if i have more time =)

anyone take the practice clep of 2011 and 2012? they're REALLY similar. same type of questions with different numbers and situations plugged in. i wonder if the CLEP is just another really close version.

thanks for your time and advice guys =)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,587 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Reasonably priced upper-division RA math courses Ivo Lah 5 576 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,824 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 638 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 3,119 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,441 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 674 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,634 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,595 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 1,276 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name