Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online accounting classes - can you help?
Tennessee Tech University has online courses for just $117/cr. You can see their acc courses here. Not every accounting course is available as an online course, but 5-6 of the undergrad acc courses are listed in the Fall 2017 online class schedule. The advising dept. there is awesome and very helpful as well; they were advising which courses would/would not be helpful towards a CPA for my state. They also said that their prereqs are not applicable if you're only taking classes as a visitor/transient/non-matriculated student.
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
keepsingin Wrote:Another option would be New Mexico's CCs. I received this from TESU academic advising regarding using Central New Mexico Community College for Intermediate Acc I&II.

At $50 per credit, it may not be as academically extensive as Oakton's, esp since Oakton's is structured around the CPA exam, but I'm planning to save the $$ for the rest of my UL AOS courses at a nearby state Uni. Any thoughts on CNM, concerns about accreditation, course quality, or experience with them? It seems like a great deal, just want to make sure I'm not missing any important puzzle pieces here. I'd love to hear any input on this...

I didn't take any classes with them, but I checked their curriculum for Intermediate Accounting. They have three classes - Intermediate 1A, Intermediate 1B, and Intermediate 2. I'm assuming that all three classes cover most of the curriculum for Intermediate Accounting. It seems that they use the Intermediate Accounting book written by Spiceland, et al, which is the same one I just used in my four year college class. They also seem to use Connect, which is what my teacher used, as well.

Oakton seems to use a different book, and has a slightly different format. Each teacher, in each class, will teach differently, and this is definitely true for on-line classes as well.

For sure, the price is right - but don't forget - the book costs over $300 dollars, and even if you find a cheaper copy of the book, you still need to buy connect for almost $200. BUT - the book will be good for all three classes, and even Connect, if you time it right, can last a while. But any class you take -whether on line or at a B&M - will have the same costs, so this is just a heads up so that you are aware of the costs going in.

There's no way to know if one course is better than another unless the same person takes both classes... so I wouldn't assume that Oakton is more rigorous, but it does seem to be more student-friendly.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
keepsingin Wrote:Tennessee Tech University has online courses for just $117/cr. You can see their acc courses here . Not every accounting course is available as an online course, but 5-6 of the undergrad acc courses are listed in the Fall 2017 online class schedule. The advising dept. there is awesome and very helpful as well; they were advising which courses would/would not be helpful towards a CPA for my state. They also said that their prereqs are not applicable if you're only taking classes as a visitor/transient/non-matriculated student.

Are you sure that is the price? It looks to me that the real price is much higher?

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
TEEX
Does anyone know anything about Columbia College? I was browsing around on the internet and I came upon this college - they don't have traditional semesters but start every other month - and flexibility is very attractive to me right now.

I never heard of this college before, am I missing something?

Tests taken so far:

Up ahead:
TEEX
sarg123 Wrote:Are you sure that is the price? It looks to me that the real price is much higher?

I thought the same thing, so I called and asked for clarification about the online fee vs. the out-of-state tuition, and they said if you are only taking online courses, then it is only $117/cr, period. If you register for any other hybrid or campus classes, then the pricing reverts to the other (in-state/out-of-state) tuition prices.
Graduated June 2018!
keepsingin Wrote:I thought the same thing, so I called and asked for clarification about the online fee vs. the out-of-state tuition, and they said if you are only taking online courses, then it is only $117/cr, period. If you register for any other hybrid or campus classes, then the pricing reverts to the other (in-state/out-of-state) tuition prices.

Oh, wow!Smile

Tests taken so far:

Up ahead:
TEEX
keepsingin Wrote:I thought the same thing, so I called and asked for clarification about the online fee vs. the out-of-state tuition, and they said if you are only taking online courses, then it is only $117/cr, period. If you register for any other hybrid or campus classes, then the pricing reverts to the other (in-state/out-of-state) tuition prices.

Honestly, it sounds too good to be true! Thanks so much for clarifying this!cheersmate

Tests taken so far:

Up ahead:
TEEX
At TTU, the courses I looked at also say "Busi Spec Acad Fee-ACCT $75.00", plus there's the textbook; here's to hoping the textbooks aren't too crazy expensive.
Graduated June 2018!
keepsingin Wrote:At TTU, the courses I looked at also say "Busi Spec Acad Fee-ACCT $75.00", plus there's the textbook; here's to hoping the textbooks aren't too crazy expensive.

These days, all textbooks are crazy expensive! Biggest scam this side of academic journals.
sarg123 Wrote:Does anyone know anything about Columbia College? I was browsing around on the internet and I came upon this college - they don't have traditional semesters but start every other month - and flexibility is very attractive to me right now.

If you are talking about Columbia College of Missouri, they appear to be a long-established (19th-century), regionally-accredited, independent, private non-profit, small liberal arts college. According to Wikipedia, the Princeton Review rated them as "Best Midwestern College" in 2014. Online tuition is $290/cr.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 350 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,742 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,720 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,038 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 30 7,008 08-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 569 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,654 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 347 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,348 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 754 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen