Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olivet YourWay changes
Hi!
I got an email today from Olivet Nazarene University. They are making changes to their YourWay program. Currently the general education courses are tuition free, though a $50/credit fee applies for the course to be graded. The email states:
After March, all general education courses will be tuition-bearing Canvas courses alongside your program courses, and we will continue to offer everything you need to earn your degree.

Just wanted to share in case anyone is planning to take any of their courses. 
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ch-27-2023
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
Wasn't there a thread about this already, seems like they're not making any profit and changing their rules around. Has anyone got in contact with them asking if the credits will remain $50 each? If that's the case, they're just "charging" you up front instead of paying for the course fee later when you're satisfied with the grade. Besides the system changing to Canvas, did they specifically say they're changing the pricing too?
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-01-2022, 03:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wasn't there a thread about this already, seems like they're not making any profit and changing their rules around.  Has anyone got in contact with them asking if the credits will remain $50 each?  If that's the case, they're just "charging" you up front instead of paying for the course fee later when you're satisfied with the grade.  Besides the system changing to Canvas, did they specifically say they're changing the pricing too?

I didn't see the other thread until just now. I did not reach out to Olivet directly about it as I have already completed the 1 course I need from them. The email they sent me reads:
Important Your Way Announcement

Olivet has been offering tuition-free general education courses through the Your Way program for the last two years. Many people have taken advantage of the opportunity to return to school and work toward a degree. Others have felt a bit out of place, preferring to be in a more structured class environment with predictable schedules and interactions.

While we have been offering general education courses as self-paced, all of our program courses are calendar based and are in a learning management system (LMS) called Canvas. To provide a more consistent experience, Olivet will be moving all general education courses to Canvas and out of the Your Way platform effective March 27, 2023.

How does this affect me?

You have about seven months to complete as many general education courses as you desire in Your Way. This is a great opportunity for those that are nearly done. For those who still have some distance to go, challenge yourself to see what you can accomplish.

The great thing is that you still have time to finish courses and prepare for your degree program. After March, all general education courses will be tuition-bearing Canvas courses alongside your program courses, and we will continue to offer everything you need to earn your degree.