Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Arizona University's new program for awarding credit for existing knowledge
Announcement here

Sounds promising! Perhaps we might have to add another one to "The Big Three"?
This does look interesting. I hope more schools will realize the benefits of offering credit-by-exam-type-degrees. Just be careful about getting into a program before it is accredited.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
A couple of Texas universities are looking to copy WGU's competency-based system. I know one can complete WGU programs pretty quickly because they're self-paced, but how much does the competency-based system speed up the process? I've read reviews that said that prior knowledge of a subject in a WGU module doesn't really reduce the amount of work by much. This is mostly with their performance assessments. They do have objective assessments for some of their subjects that are a lot like credit-by-exam. I'd rather just take a CLEP, DSST, ECE, etc. than write a huge paper in a PLA-type course. If NAU goes with more of a testing approach, that would be good.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Okay, so I wrote NAU asking about the program.

From the School:
"I understand that you are interested in our Personalized Learning initiative at Northern Arizona University. At this time, we are still in the planning stages and we don’t have a date for which we hope to start the program. We are hopeful that we will have more information available after the first of the year.

If you would like to respond to this email with some more information, I would be happy to keep your information on file so we can contact you know when we have more information. Specifically, what type of programs are you interested in and how is it best to reach you? Email, phone, etc.

Thank you for your interest and I look forward to contacting you with more information soon!"

I wrote:
"I would be interested in engineering related degrees, such as: Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering. My ultimate goal is to get into Robotics. Degrees in that field are usually specializations of either Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.

Right now I am in process of finishing out a bachelors degree. I have disparate credits at many schools in the lower division, and I am trying to corral them all to a school that will allow me to finish a useful bachelors degree as quickly as possible while minimizing courses.

One of my plans was to utilize CLEP to test for credit, or StraighterLine/ALEKS courses online to obtain credit recommendations via ACE, while taking anything remaining here at Maricopa Community Colleges. I could either get a Maricopa Community college to give me a non letter grade credit, or get another school to do so and transfer in.

I am wondering if there are specific requirements on how many classes can be credits that are non letter grade - CLEP, or awarded via ACE recommendation."

Their response:
"Thank you for the information! Sounds like you have a very specific goal in mind which is terrific! And you very much sound like the type of student who could be right for our program.

At this time, we will launch the initiative with baccalaureate degrees only but we do hope to add master’s level programs in the future.

One of the things we are still working on is how to use ACE credits, transfer credits, CLEP tests, etc. in the process. At this time that, all of those processes are yet to be determined so I can’t answer those questions yet.

Should you decide to earn a bachelor’s degree first and then come to NAU for a master’s degree, our admission criteria generally is to accept a bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by the appropriate regional association. Our NAU Graduate College makes graduate admission decisions so you might want to review their admission requirements here: Graduate Admissions Policy - Graduate College - Northern Arizona University.

I see that we have you in our database currently so when we have more concrete information about Personalized Learning, we will let you know!"
That's good, but how hard is it to determine how to use ACE, CLEP, and other alternative sources of credits? Intro to Business should be transcribed as Intro to Business. Sounds pretty simple to me.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:That's good, but how hard is it to determine how to use ACE, CLEP, and other alternative sources of credits? Intro to Business should be transcribed as Intro to Business. Sounds pretty simple to me.

I'm sure there are far more strict limitations they intend to place, and a balance to strike. Remember they are partnering with Pearson for this, so I'm sure they need to maximize the amount of money they make.
Yep. That sounds about right. I think I'd rather pay a high enrollment fee like the one at TESC, however. :p
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Got another response on what kind of courses:

"We are hoping to offer bachelor’s degrees in Computer Information Technology, Liberal Arts and Small Business Administration. All of the Personalized Learning programs will be online. We just don’t know when we will be starting! "

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Beginner's Guide to Coffee certificate from Sunway University ArshveerCheema 0 76 Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Perdoceo to acquire University of St. Augustine... bjcheung77 1 206 09-17-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,939 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 58 11,617 09-16-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: wow
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,851 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  University of The Cumberlands Mrsmiracle90 3 361 09-12-2024, 08:47 PM
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 249 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,934 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
  CBE program for data analysis or data science? FreeAgnes 3 422 08-22-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,651 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson