Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Member Needs Assistance
Hi Everyone,

First off, let me just say that I’ve lurked for the last 9 months or so but have never posted. The participants on this forum have inspired and motivated me to take and pass a handful of CLEP tests. A big thanks to all who contribute and share knowledge to help others like me.

With that out of the way, here’s the situation: I need to take the Social Sciences and History CLEP and the Educational Psychology CLEP ASAP. I called my local testing center today and to my surprise, I was able to get an open testing slot on Wednesday, August 26st (there’s usually about a 2-3 week wait). Soooo, I now have part of this weekend and the first part of next week to prepare for one of these tests.

It can be done, right? Which test would you take if you were in my situation and rescheduling was not an option? I work full-time and have a family, so study time is limited. I will have about 4 hours to study this weekend and maybe 3 hours on Monday and 3 hours on Tuesday.

I really want to get the SSH CLEP out of the way but don't know if I can pull it off giving the lack of study time.

I haven’t studied or taken a CLEP test in over five months but here’s a list of the tests that I have taken this year:
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
CLEP - Sociology
CLEP - Psychology
CLEP - Human Growth and Development

Advice? Comments? Study Tips/Resources?
afterlife Wrote:Hi Everyone,

First off, let me just say that I’ve lurked for the last 9 months or so but have never posted. The participants on this forum have inspired and motivated me to take and pass a handful of CLEP tests. A big thanks to all who contribute and share knowledge to help others like me.

With that out of the way, here’s the situation: I need to take the Social Sciences and History CLEP and the Educational Psychology CLEP ASAP. I called my local testing center today and to my surprise, I was able to get an open testing slot on Wednesday, August 26st (there’s usually about a 2-3 week wait). Soooo, I now have part of this weekend and the first part of next week to prepare for one of these tests.

It can be done, right? Which test would you take if you were in my situation and rescheduling was not an option? I work full-time and have a family, so study time is limited. I will have about 4 hours to study this weekend and maybe 3 hours on Monday and 3 hours on Tuesday.

I really want to get the SSH CLEP out of the way but don't know if I can pull it off giving the lack of study time.

I haven’t studied or taken a CLEP test in over five months but here’s a list of the tests that I have taken this year:
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
CLEP - Sociology
CLEP - Psychology
CLEP - Human Growth and Development

Advice? Comments? Study Tips/Resources?

Educational Psychology without a doubt. There will be some nice overlap with three of the four tests you've already taken which will reduce the need for study--and although I did not take the Social Sciences and History CLEP--I have to believe that test is A LOT broader than Ed. Psychology. Educational Psychology. Final answer.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
I appreciate the quick feedback. I guess I'm leaning towards SS&H in an effort to get the harder test done and out of the way first. I'm just concerned that I don't have enough time to prepare properly.

Educational Psychology might be the safer play at this point.

Anyone else have advice, comments or study tips/resources to share?
Ditto Educational Psychology, you don't have enough study time for the other test. The two you have taken intro to psych and human growth will have some overlap.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
I think you may be right...focus on Educational Psychology and save SS&H for when I have more time to study.
If you can find a practice test for SSH, take it and see how well you do. You might be surprised to find that you can correctly answer more than half the questions, in which case you should take the real thing. I'm no history buff at all, and I was able to pass the test with no study or preparation beyond one practice test. Common sense and multiple choice skills go a long way.

I can't speak for Educational Psych, because I haven't taken it.
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
Good luck deciding what to take next. Sounds like you're ready for educational psych.

Hope everything goes well for you. Big Grin
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
barcotta Wrote:Educational Psychology without a doubt. There will be some nice overlap with three of the four tests you've already taken which will reduce the need for study--and although I did not take the Social Sciences and History CLEP--I have to believe that test is A LOT broader than Ed. Psychology. Educational Psychology. Final answer.
>>

I second that suggestion. SS&H is a lot of history, I'd take educational psych
I thought I would give an update on my decision. After reading the feedback I received from forum members I decided to play it safe and take the Educational Psychology CLEP today. It was a good choice considering the actual amount of time that I ended up having to devote to studying. I used IC, Perterson's tests, notes previously used for the Human Growth and Dev. CLEP, and Google to cram for about 5 hours (spread out over two days).

I felt moderately confident that I could pull-off a passing score but have to admit the test was bit more difficult than I anticipated. I ended up with a 59, which is my lowest CLEP score to date. Oh well, I passed and I’m glad that one is out of the way.

Thanks to all who responded to my original post.

Next up: Social Sciences and History.
afterlife Wrote:I thought I would give an update on my decision. After reading the feedback I received from forum members I decided to play it safe and take the Educational Psychology CLEP today. It was a good choice considering the actual amount of time that I ended up having to devote to studying. I used IC, Perterson's tests, notes previously used for the Human Growth and Dev. CLEP, and Google to cram for about 5 hours (spread out over two days).

I felt moderately confident that I could pull-off a passing score but have to admit the test was bit more difficult than I anticipated. I ended up with a 59, which is my lowest CLEP score to date. Oh well, I passed and I’m glad that one is out of the way.

Thanks to all who responded to my original post.

Next up: Social Sciences and History.

Congrats!! A pass is a pass!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medical assistance certificates NewatTESU 8 479 08-23-2024, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Stonybeach
Sad New member overwhelmed by the all infos... TR_mahmutpek 3 405 06-17-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: davewill
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,614 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  California Southern University is now a member of the AIU System PositiveSoul 5 2,463 12-28-2022, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Pappok
  Employer Top Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement Programs bjcheung77 9 1,506 06-12-2022, 06:49 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Free Bachelors Degrees for Union Member letterchaser202 32 4,670 11-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wow
  Modern States: Mention of TESU+WGU (DF member?) bjcheung77 2 1,108 10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  Vermont Student Assistance Corp: Free Course! bjcheung77 0 672 07-27-2021, 09:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginner Assistance Taliesin 5 7,254 01-02-2019, 07:55 PM
Last Post: mednat
  BSBA Assistance Frogsear 3 1,334 11-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: quigongene