Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help!
(10-12-2023, 10:04 PM)HOSSNPEPPER Wrote:
(10-12-2023, 02:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Be a bit open on what you require for your degree, you may want to review this thread here, I don't think COSC is the way to go, the two courses you complete is already enough time for completing UMPI two sessions: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Accounting
 UMPI is my top choice, the self-paced program works best for my busy life, but I have not received my transfer evaluation yet. I originally had a double major in Political Science and Public Policy, which why I applied to UMPI’s History and Political Science BA.

The cost of TESU for the one semester and residency waiver is more than 4 sessions at UMPI, but I do not want to keep putting off my degree for another 6 or 7 years again, or possibly never if we decide to have another child.

Have you looked at CUNY SPS yet? Being you're from New York and have lots of transfer credit, this might work for you.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/CU...egree_Plan

If you want to graduate TESU in March 2024, you need to start classes by Nov
https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • HOSSNPEPPER, origamishuttle
(10-12-2023, 10:16 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(10-12-2023, 02:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Be a bit open on what you require for your degree, you may want to review this thread here, I don't think COSC is the way to go, the two courses you complete is already enough time for completing UMPI two sessions: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Accounting
 UMPI is my top choice, the self-paced program works best for my busy life, but I have not received my transfer evaluation yet. I originally had a double major in Political Science and Public Policy, which why I applied to UMPI’s History and Political Science BA.

The cost of TESU for the one semester and residency waiver is more than 4 sessions at UMPI, but I do not want to keep putting off my degree for another 6 or 7 years again, or possibly never if we decide to have another child.

Have you looked at CUNY SPS yet? Being you're from New York and have lots of transfer credit, this might work for you.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/CU...egree_Plan

If you want to graduate TESU in March 2024, you need to start classes by Nov
https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation
I live in upstate New York, the SUNY and CUNY systems are different, which leads to more classes not directly transferring. My big mistake was not petitioning for more credits at the University at Albany when I transferred in, because of this I had to retake similar but different classes. This seems to be a similar tread among all schools when transferring.

I am currently registered at TESU and will pay for the classes on the 20th unless I get a better transfer evaluation or degree plan from UMPI.
You may want to seriously consider whether it makes more sense to simply pay the residency waiver rather than deal with three extra courses you probably don't need while doing the capstone.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • HOSSNPEPPER
(10-15-2023, 12:04 PM)davewill Wrote: You may want to seriously consider whether it makes more sense to simply pay the residency waiver rather than deal with three extra courses you probably don't need while doing the capstone.

davewill,

That is what I have been struggling with, some say it's easier to take the extra classes, rather than pay the residency waiver. I see you have a degree from TESU, what was your experience with the capstone and cornerstones?
Received my degree plan for History & Political Science, B.A, which would continue what I was already doing prior. I did not learn about the BLS degree till after I applied to UMPI, how would I go about changing majors? Currently I would need 15 classes, but I am still waiting for my AP BIO and Sophia transfers to be added. Any suggestions? Thinks for all the great advice!
I deleted your attachment because it has your name and student number. Since it's a DOCX file, please rename it and remove any personally identifying info from the file itself before reuploading!

That said, I wouldn't really suggest switching to the BLS. A BLS is a generic degree that may not be the best option. Even though you said "any" degree will work, employers often prefer a subject degree to a liberal studies degree.

Your AP Biology should cover both 3C and 3E, provided you got the minimum score, so you won't need BIO105.

Have you completed more than just Macroecon and The Essentials of Managing Conflict from Sophia? Sophia Ethics will go into 4C. And you need Spanish II from Sophia for the History degree. Visual Communications would work for 2D. Art History for 2E. Other than that, you've got 9 or 10 classes remaining at UMPI. Not 15.

The Sophia classes would all be needed for the BLS, too. Except Spanish II. You don't have the GEC completely filled.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • HOSSNPEPPER

BA History/Political Science is fine if you want to continue on that route, if not, going the BLS with a minor or two isn't bad either. Decide by reviewing which degree is going to be cheaper, easier, faster, for yourself. Are you going forward with a Masters after that? If you are, you can always tinker the requirements of the BLS to hit all the entry requirements of the Masters degree... For example, if you're going for the UMPI MAOL after your Bachelors, you can take 3-4 classes for the Bachelors degree that will give exemption for 9 credits towards the UMPI MAOL.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • HOSSNPEPPER
(10-15-2023, 12:41 PM)HOSSNPEPPER Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 12:04 PM)davewill Wrote: You may want to seriously consider whether it makes more sense to simply pay the residency waiver rather than deal with three extra courses you probably don't need while doing the capstone.

davewill,

That is what I have been struggling with, some say it's easier to take the extra classes, rather than pay the residency waiver. I see you have a degree from TESU, what was your experience with the capstone and cornerstones?

The cornerstone wasn't required when I did it. The capstone was manageable, but I didn't try to take it with other courses. Even with that, I started a new job and had to travel a bunch, so I ended up filing for an extension, which I needed two weeks of. It comes down to how much time you really have, and whether the savings is worth the time and effort to you, which is a very personal calculation.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • HOSSNPEPPER
Updated attachment

(10-22-2023, 10:57 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I deleted your attachment because it has your name and student number. Since it's a DOCX file, please rename it and remove any personally identifying info from the file itself before reuploading!

That said, I wouldn't really suggest switching to the BLS. A BLS is a generic degree that may not be the best option. Even though you said "any" degree will work, employers often prefer a subject degree to a liberal studies degree.

Your AP Biology should cover both 3C and 3E, provided you got the minimum score, so you won't need BIO105.

Have you completed more than just Macroecon and The Essentials of Managing Conflict from Sophia? Sophia Ethics will go into 4C. And you need Spanish II from Sophia for the History degree. Visual Communications would work for 2D. Art History for 2E. Other than that, you've got 9 or 10 classes remaining at UMPI. Not 15.

The Sophia classes would all be needed for the BLS, too. Except Spanish II. You don't have the GEC completely filled.

The BLS being a generic degree is what I was concerned with over completing a degree with Political Science, but a BLS would in theory require less work. 

I have completed Environmental Science on Sophia, and am working on Conflict Resolution. I have almost completed Intro to Web Development, it was a feeler to see if I still dislike coding and the like. 

I was planning on going to TESU, but I received my registration email from UMPI last Friday for enrollment for tomorrow Oct. 23rd. 

(10-22-2023, 11:30 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

BA History/Political Science is fine if you want to continue on that route, if not, going the BLS with a minor or two isn't bad either.  Decide by reviewing which degree is going to be cheaper, easier, faster, for yourself.  Are you going forward with a Masters after that? If you are, you can always tinker the requirements of the BLS to hit all the entry requirements of the Masters degree... For example, if you're going for the UMPI MAOL after your Bachelors, you can take 3-4 classes for the Bachelors degree that will give exemption for 9 credits towards the UMPI MAOL.
I had planned on pursuing a Masters or Law school when I was previously at UALbany, with an intent to teach higher education. I was just researching the UMPI MAOL, using your advisement of others on the forums, and trying to see how it would fit into my degree plan.

Attached Files
.docx   _BA HTY_POS POS_2023.docx (Size: 6.73 KB / Downloads: 2)
.docx   _BA HTY_POS POS_2023.docx (Size: 6.73 KB / Downloads: 1)
I'm not sure that the BLS would require less work. You still need the GEC requirements to be filled - no matter what degree you do. And you still need to complete at least 10 classes at UMPI. By my count, you only need about 10 classes as it is to finish the History class. The only time savings would be not having to do Sophia's Spanish II. That's not much of a savings, IMO.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • HOSSNPEPPER, origamishuttle