Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) )
Hello everyone,
I am new here.  I am trying to work on my bachelor's and  I need a total of 12 math credits.  I haven't had a lot of math classes since high school years ago so I have limited prior knowledge.

The 12 credits can be in anything as long as Thomas Edison accepts them.  I tried going down the CLEP route but studying and prepping for those were just a little overwhelming. 

Can any of you recommend the best place to take those 12 credits in math to transfer into TESU?  By best I mean the most do-able/easiest that isn't going to be too intense.  I have looked into study.com, shmoop, straighterline, saylor but I rather ask you who have taken math courses what you would recommend for the best, easiest, user-friendly.  

Please reply if you can.  I just need these 12 math credits done with once and for all  Smile

Thank you in advance!
A
Why 12 math credits?

You don't need Statistics to be one of the courses?

Shmoop for at least 6 credits.

So you don't want to study by yourself and take 1 exam? You want a course?

(02-25-2018, 08:18 PM)Ideas Wrote: Why 12 math credits?

You don't need Statistics to be one of the courses?

Shmoop for at least 6 credits.

So you don't want to study by yourself and take 1 exam? You want a course?

Thanks for the reply.  For math, since its a different language at times, the self-study routine and then taking a CLEP exam is just too overwhelming so I figured I would try study.com or shmoop (or any other you would recommend).  

I need 12 math credits continuing educational credits at my job.  

And no, statistics doesn't need to be one of my courses but I can't find anywhere on here (or TESU's website) where they show the transfer equivalencies for TESU and Shmoop?  Do you know where to find it?

So what do you think is the best path to go to get those 12 credits but in the easiest way without getting too stressed trying to pass those classes?  Thank you!
Does your work need them to be actual college credits?

The easiest, lowest math course that TESU takes is Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics. You can take the TECEP exam for that. But it's an exam without a course. I'm not sure you can get this through a course.

The next easiest is probably Quantitative Business Analysis, then Intermediate Algebra. Then College Algebra. I think Shmoop has both Algebra. I'm not sure if QBA is available through a course. It's available though an exam.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Muldoon
Hello again,
Yes as long as I have 12 math credits on a transcript (TESU from example), I am good to go. Besides taking the TECEP exam (or clep or DSST for that matter), do you recommend just taking those math courses through shmoop?

And is there a way of finding the course equivaclies for SHMOOP? I can't find the official one anywhere. Thanks again
I would take the TECEP, the 2 Shmoop Algebra courses, and probably Davar for the QBA. I'm not sure if Saylor has QBA.

Search for the equivalencies on this forum Smile I don't know if there's an officially published list for Shmoop. Many others are on this list: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/cal/acp.cfm

Don't forget Shmoop Finite Math as well.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Ideas
Thanks guys.  So would you recommend SHMOOP over study.com?   Is shmoop a better chance to pass the class?
Here are your options for relatively easy math courses/exams:

MAT-102 (College Math)
Study.com's MAT102: College Mathematics
College Math CLEP (6cr also includes MAT-103)

MAT-105 (Liberal Arts Math)
Study.com's MAT97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning
Math for Liberal Arts DSST
Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP

MAT-110 (Finite Math)
Shmoop's Finite Math

MAT-115 (Int. Algebra)
Study.com's MAT101: College Algebra
Shmoop's Mathematics I
Fundamentals of College Algebra DSST

MAT-119 (College Algebra)
Study.com's MAT107: Quantitative Literacy
College Algebra TECEP
College Algebra SL

MAT-260 (Geometry)
Study.com's GEOM101: Intro to Geometry

MAT-361 (Geometry)
Shmoop's Geometry

I would say that MAT-102, 105 and 110 will be the easiest, then it's just a matter of what else you want to do. If you're going to do Shmoop's Finite Math, then you might want to see how College Geometry goes - my Algebra-challenged 15-yo daughter struggled with Algebra, but absolutely LOVES Geometry and is an A student, going through at roughly twice the pace that she went through Algebra I (she has self-paced math lab at her high school).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • acamp, Muldoon, slmartin, Yenisei
(02-25-2018, 10:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here are your options for relatively easy math courses/exams:

MAT-102 (College Math)
Study.com's MAT102: College Mathematics
College Math CLEP (6cr also includes MAT-103)

MAT-105 (Liberal Arts Math)
Study.com's MAT97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning
Math for Liberal Arts DSST
Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP

MAT-110 (Finite Math)
Shmoop's Finite Math

MAT-115 (Int. Algebra)
Study.com's MAT101: College Algebra
Shmoop's Mathematics I
Fundamentals of College Algebra DSST

MAT-119 (College Algebra)
Study.com's MAT107: Quantitative Literacy
College Algebra TECEP
College Algebra SL

MAT-260 (Geometry)
Study.com's GEOM101: Intro to Geometry

MAT-361 (Geometry)
Shmoop's Geometry

I would say that MAT-102, 105 and 110 will be the easiest, then it's just a matter of what else you want to do.  If you're going to do Shmoop's Finite Math, then you might want to see how College Geometry goes - my Algebra-challenged 15-yo daughter struggled with Algebra, but absolutely LOVES Geometry and is an A student, going through at roughly twice the pace that she went through Algebra I (she has self-paced math lab at her high school).

WOW - I so appreciate that information, thank you.  

From your experience, and maybe your in the same boat as me with limited math knowledge/classes, do you prefere SHMOOP or STUDY.COM to take these math courses that you outlined above?   Besides the cost being a factor, is SHMOOP or STUDY.COM easier than the other with regards to passing the exams and final test?   Would love to hear your thoughts on that.  Thanks again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online credits but for the UK questionquestions 4 334 08-21-2024, 05:54 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  CS50 on EdX issues ACE credits?! Robson 10 823 08-20-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: wow
  TESU BA Computer Science - SDC credits newdegree 4 406 07-15-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 8 1,034 06-01-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 8 1,612 04-23-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 810 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 465 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 6,372 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 12,400 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 854 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle